Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shakespeare's musical collaborator and NGA of Early Music

Two very different programmes. Both look worth listening (as ever)

Lucie Skeaping examines the career and music of Shakespeare's regular musical collaborator, Robert Johnson, who famously created the music for The Tempest in 1611, as well as many other plays by the leading playwrights of his day.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0150d9t

Catherine Bott is joined by harpsichordist Laurence Cummings, Director of the National Centre for Early Music Delma Tomlin and conductor Matthew Halls for a round-table discussion about the future of early music performance in the UK. The programme will also feature recordings from this year's York Early Music Festival Young Artists Competition.

Oh, and don’t forget the next week’s CoW: Vivaldi as ff has reminded us.

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Oh, and don’t forget the next week’s CoW: Vivaldi as ff has reminded us.
    Not attracting much interest as yet. Very much a composer who some yawn about while others rave. Hope the ravers turn up!

Shakespeare stuff sounds pretty good.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Other leading playwright in Shakespeare's day, as mentioned is Ben Jonson, ''The Devil is an Ass''

not Ben Johnson

If someone were to google Ben Johnson they most likely will be directed to the famous sprinter by that name.
      Last edited by Guest; 25-09-11, 13:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuschia View Post
        If someone were to google Ben Johnson they most likely will be directed to the famous sprinter by that name.
        Whereas those who know better will be aware that he is a Radio 3 New Generation Artist!

(Welcome Fuschia - I would have bet you had joined in order to enter the discussion about the colour of cassocks! Myself, I would spell it Fuchsia, after the botanist Leonhart Fuchs)
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          (Welcome Fuschia - I would have bet you had joined in order to enter the discussion about the colour of cassocks! Myself, I would spell it Fuchsia, after the botanist Leonhart Fuchs)
          I remember being SO proud (aet: 10) that I could spell eschscholtzia (from: Johann Friedrich von Eschscholtz [1793-1831].)

(tho' I see some now spell it eschscholzia ... )

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Whereas those who know better will be aware that he is a Radio 3 New Generation Artist!

Fuchsia's are amongst my favourite plants. My name however is Fuschia.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuschia View Post
              My name however is Fuschia.

Comment

Loved the Robert Johnson, esp the massed lutes/theorbos/citterns etc of Messrs Lindberg, North, O'Dette. And the divine Emma as always.

Comment

Working...
                X