Scottish Wode Psalter and King Dinis I of Portugal

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Wode Psalter and King Dinis I of Portugal

Saturday
    Catherine Bott takes a look at the Wode Psalter, a hugely significant collection of part books that give a fascinating insight into Scottish music-making in the 16th Century.
    The collection was initially the work of Thomas Wode, a monk and cleric from St Andrews, who was commissioned to produce a series of harmonisations of psalm tunes for a protestant Scottish Psalter

Catherine Bott takes a look at the 16th-century Scottish Wode Psalter.

Sunday
    Catherine Bott explores the musical legacy of King Dinis I of Portugal. He was a remarkable man, born in the year 1261, and ruled Portugal for 46 years during which time he consolidated both his country's economy and its frontiers, limiting the powers of the aristocracy and resolving conflicts in the church. He was known for his wisdom, prudence and passion for justice, and not only was his court a refuge for poets and minstrels from all over the Iberian peninsula and beyond, he also joined them with his own poetry and music.

The Early Music Show at its best (as usual)

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Saturday
    Catherine Bott takes a look at the Wode Psalter, a hugely significant collection of part books that give a fascinating insight into Scottish music-making in the 16th Century.
    The collection was initially the work of Thomas Wode, a monk and cleric from St Andrews, who was commissioned to produce a series of harmonisations of psalm tunes for a protestant Scottish Psalter

Catherine Bott takes a look at the 16th-century Scottish Wode Psalter.

Sunday
    Catherine Bott explores the musical legacy of King Dinis I of Portugal. He was a remarkable man, born in the year 1261, and ruled Portugal for 46 years during which time he consolidated both his country's economy and its frontiers, limiting the powers of the aristocracy and resolving conflicts in the church. He was known for his wisdom, prudence and passion for justice, and not only was his court a refuge for poets and minstrels from all over the Iberian peninsula and beyond, he also joined them with his own poetry and music.

The Early Music Show at its best (as usual)

And often missing them as I do for weekend logistical reasons, the podcast is a great source of repeated nuggets, inspiration for further enquiry etc....
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Re: the Wode Psalter
      Informative talk, wonderful music and excellent performance.

Some lovely pictures here.

Caliban
      I know. Most of the time I have to depend on Listen Again. Anyway, do listen to this, with music!

Comment

Working...
      X