X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Genius of Illumination Exhibition

I think this exhibition looks like a wonderful one to visit. I love looking at illuminated manuscripts and books, the almost talismanic quality of the illuminated text and the calligraphy. I shall definitely try to plan a visit to the BL to see the exhibition before it ends in March.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    I think this exhibition looks like a wonderful one to visit. I love looking at illuminated manuscripts and books, the almost talismanic quality of the illuminated text and the calligraphy.
    I so agree. The nearest I've got to the "real thing" is the reproduction of the Lindisfarne Gospels at the Heritage Centre on the Island: text and illumination all by one man (Aelfrith) which is astonishing. This exhibition is of later work, and it occurs to me that there is far more illustration of the texts than "just" the Illumination of the earlier work. Gerald of Wales' works are also lavishly illustrated, but not Bede's: is illustration something that came with the Normans?

I shall investigate rail timetables and fares: it would be a great shame to miss being so close to such magnificent and evocative artefacts.

Many Thanks, aeolium
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Magnificent explosion of colour. Many thanks, aeolium. I have put it on my list.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Morning Chris, 'Explosion of colour' certainly expresses it. What a beautiful thing to see on such a grey morning. Thanks aeolium.

Comment

• marthe

saly, I second your opinion. This is all quite splendid. I love illuminated manuscripts.

Comment

• Warwick
            • Oct 2011

I think this exhibition looks like a wonderful one to visit. I love looking at illuminated manuscripts and books, the almost talismanic quality of the illuminated text and the calligraphy. I shall definitely try to plan a visit to the BL to see the exhibition before it ends in March.

Many thanks for your post. I would really love to visit this exhibition, it is good that it runs on till March.

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

We have been.

I can confirm it is definitely worth a visit - there are about 150 illuminated manuscripts, colour coded by age.

When you go, don't rush in as there is a very interesting display in the entrance explaining how the manuscripts are made; you can wander around this when you come out too.

Predominantly of course these are secular texts, and typically I tended to like either the ones that weren't, or the odder ones. Here are a few of my notes...

For example one illumination showed King Saul relieving himself in a cave,whilst behind him David cuts a bit of his cloak off to demonstrate his integrity - he could have killed him.
              What a marvellous idea for a set of illuminations - I can imagine the visceral way in which it must have caught the viewers attention.
              [I spent a lot of time wondering about who the viewers might have been -only those blessed few who could read?]

Another one that caught my eye was of John the Baptist marking his feast day with a lion,a unicorn and a hedgehog.
              I didn't realise the hedgehog was held in such high regard.

Another showed the wreck of the white ship in 1120..
              A hugely significant event in the history of England of which I had absolutely no knowledge - and another excellent illumination.

On a medical chart it appeared that the illuminator had become perhaps a little bored and added what can only be described as some bawdy cartoons - I particularly liked the sketch showing the physicians monkeys diagnosing patients urine by tasting it; the concentration needed by the illuminator must be so extreme that it was hardly surprising the mind must wander occasionally, just very surprising that they actually sketched onto the object of their attention.

My favourite was the humanistic book of hieroglyphs (from 1507) wonderful emblematic inscriptions - and one which the scholars are unable to interprete or explain. It is somehow satisfying to know there are still mysteries out there unexplained, and the hireoglyphs themselves were intriguing and immaculate.

The audience were of a certain age and type - I'm always comfortable when I find my peer group, but I do hope there are some schools and educational establishments running trips there and making these wonderful artefacts come alive.

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

Many thanks for this review, Globaltruth.

I too had no knowledge of the White Ship incident, or its impact on English history.

I hope to go to see the exhibition in late Feb or early March, and perhaps take in a concert as well.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Many thanks for this review, Globaltruth.

I too had no knowledge of the White Ship incident, or its impact on English history.

I hope to go to see the exhibition in late Feb or early March, and perhaps take in a concert as well.
                  and I feel I should apologise for just rambling on about the content of the illuminations - but words (that I have anyway) cannot do justice to their magnificence.

Here's a not very good repro of the White Ship sinking.
                  There's an interesting section in the exhibition on when the use of perspectivebecame prevalent , lack of which is clearly shown here...

You must see them for yourselves - Senior citizen discount (just in case there are any out there) , and I found out later, you also get a discount with your BL readers ticket between 12 and 2. Drat.

Kind of exhibition the BL do well...even in the new building (which is better once you are inside).

And, even though not strictly relevant can I recommend a great cafe just round the corner from the BL - Albertini's at no 20 Chalton St. I've been going there for years, and the friendly welcome, coffee and bacon and avocado sandwich are thoroughly recommended. An oasis in a slightly desperate part of London.
                  Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-12-11, 16:07.

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

I like the new BL building. I shall give Albertini's a try. I'm not sure about "slightly desperate part of London" - don't you like St Pancras International and the restored former Midland Grand Hotel building?

But I take issue with William of Malmesbury in the quotation contained in your "White Ship" link: "No ship ever brought so much misery to England". I'd say it was the ship that brought William the Conqueror here in 1066 (but that's another story)....

Comment

• Globaltruth
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I like the new BL building. I shall give Albertini's a try. I'm not sure about "slightly desperate part of London" - don't you like St Pancras International and the restored former Midland Grand Hotel building?

But I take issue with William of Malmesbury in the quotation contained in your "White Ship" link: "No ship ever brought so much misery to England". I'd say it was the ship that brought William the Conqueror here in 1066 (but that's another story)....
                      Quite right Aeolium - St. Panc and the Midland are absolute gems and treasures, thanks be to St Betjeman, they were absolutely not the parts I was referring to; I meant the minute you leave those particular environs and head up or down the Euston Road.

You're probably right about the ship too...

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

I think the short series of programmes Illuminations:The Private Lives of Medieval Kings which the BBC mounted to accompany this exhibition was very good and provided interesting background to the material on display at the British Library.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Thank you for the link. I'm booked to see the exhibition next Monday.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

It was absolutely stunning. But I spent so long looking at the early manuscripts of the exhibition that I had to give up after two hours (tired with concentration, I mean) - only half way through

Coincidentally, I'd already been struck by the manuscript of a very famous work (well known to me, anyway), the Miroir Historial of Vincent de Beauvais, and a little phrase (where's vinteuil? ) at the beginning of the first chapter in which Vincent explains why he undertook the work, 'La multitude des liures, la briefute du temps ...' ['So many books, so little time']: it seemed very apt.

These personal belongings really put you in touch with the people of those times, the people who wrote them out, illuminated them, commissioned them and, as with the Alphonso psalter, for whom the books were made.

On until March 13th!
                            Last edited by french frank; 10-02-12, 00:43.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
                              • Nov 2010

Thanks for the report. I am going to the exhibition next week and will try to ration my time per manuscript

On the other hand, think how many manuscripts were lost as a result of the Reformation and the dissolution of the monasteries. I do agree with the comment of the BL curator who said that some of the works on display were among the finest works of art from the medieval period, but have been ignored because paintings have for a long time been more publicly visible.

Comment

Working...
                              X