No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inserting images into posts?

Evening all

I don't often feel the urge, but on occasion I would like to be able to insert an image into a post.

I have tried using the 'insert image' button (next to insert video) on the taskbar above the posting composition window. I have then selected the small file (20K) from the hard drive and it's a jpg (as the rule indicates "Add an Image from your computer - Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif" but it says it is an invalid file when I try to upload it.

I have also tried the manage attachments button at the bottom of the composition pane - also to no avail. I have seen others successfully insert an image, so any clues on where I am going wrong please?

I can't see a file size limit listed, but perhaps even 20K is in excess of this?

Thanks

K.
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

'Evenin', K.

First point is that you can't upload images directly to the forum. This is disabled because they take up a great deal of room and might result in our exceeding our bandwidth (I think that's what it exceeds).

If it's your own image, you have to upload it to a host site (there are several possibilities). Choose the button third from right ('Image') and enter the url in the pop-up. You have to uncheck the box - can't remember what it says.

As long as you have a url, I think you can just insert it between (URL) and (/URL) - using square brackets, not round. Somewhat clearer than mud, I hope.

ETA: Tab is 'From url' and then uncheck 'Retrieve remote file and reference locally'
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Kara

EDIT: ff posted before I finished the following! The site I mention is one of the 'host sites' she speaks about. But the way I do it, you don't have to use the 'button third from the right' - imgur for example generates a complete code - just copy it as is into the message box here and Hey Presto!

you have to create a link by uploading the pic from your hard-drive to a hosting site.

The easiest I know is this: http://imgur.com/

You have to register with an email address. Once done, you click the "From your computer" button.... find the image on your system... click on it and it will upload

Once you see the image on the imgur page, click on it and it will enlarge from the thumbnail. You will see a series of codes, bottom left will be "BBCode (message boards)" - copy that code, paste it into the box here on FOR3.

If you then click 'preview' message in the 'advanced' screen, you should see your image in place of the link.

Good luck, hope to see evidence of your success soon!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Kara you have to create a link by uploading the pic from your hard-drive to a hosting site.

The easiest I know is this: http://imgur.com/

You have to register with an email address. Once done, you click the "From your computer" button.... find the image on your system... click on it and it will upload

Once you see the image on the imgur page, click on it and it will enlarge from the thumbnail. You will see a series of codes, bottom left will be "BBCode (message boards)" - copy that code, paste it into the box here on FOR3.

If you then click 'preview' message in the 'advanced' screen, you should see your image in place of the link.

Good luck, hope to see evidence of your success soon!
        Erm will this take up a lot of frenchie's bandwidth, Caliban?

If not, can I put in a plea for restoration of the modestly bandwithy please?

Comment

Thanks to all - quite understand, just thought it was me being the perrenial Luddite!

Cheers

K.
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            If not, can I put in a plea for restoration of the modestly bandwithy please?
            Have this one:

Comment

Ha! Just had success adding the image to my post on Kleiber's Pastoral symphony. Easy peasy when you know how isn't it! Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Erm will this take up a lot of frenchie's bandwidth, Caliban?

No I think using a host site like that avoids the bandwith trap, per ff's instructions
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                  Ha! Just had success adding the image to my post on Kleiber's Pastoral symphony. Easy peasy when you know how isn't it! Thanks again!
                  It's useful to know about the http://imgur.com web site. It'd be good to have the link to your Kleiber Pastoral post, so we can see the fruits of your labour. I've tried searches, but to no avail.

Comment

Another uploading site is
                    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

And then there's www.flickr.com of course.

I always use URL links, click on the Image icon, insert the URL link, uncheck the 'retrieve file' thing and then, well Robert is my fathers brother. I must also admit to liking
                    images on this forum, brightens the place up.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                      I must also admit to liking
                      images on this forum, brightens the place up.
                      I also like your images G and one day I'll learn how to do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        Phew - a bit of positive feedback. Ta

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          In any case, if people don't like them they can switch them off. And avatars. And signatures. Or any one of them separately.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            In any case, if people don't like them they can switch them off. And avatars. And signatures. Or any one of them separately.
                            you learn something every day - thankfully not always the same thing.
                            This I didn't know.
                            I shall have a bash at switching off sigs as I personally find them a right old drag after having read them once.

Comment

Switch the lot off - it's bliss!

Comment

Working...
                              X