Live from Böllenfalltorhalle, Darmstadt
    Shot on 26/11/2011 | Online for another 358 days and 8 hours

Program:
    Iannis Xenakis - " Terretektorh "for orchestra
    Anthony Cheung: "Fog Mobiles" for horn and orchestra
    Thierry de Mey: "Table Music" for three percussion
    Karl-Heinz Stockhausen: "Gruppen" for three orchestras

Description
    Meeting in two dimensions for the emergence of a new link: music and space are intertwined in this concert, the orchestra and the audience mix in "Terretektorh" Xenakis, the auditor discusses new musical landscapes , climate and atmosphere, the sounds become known traces to wander in space. With "Gruppen" for three orchestras Stockhausen, musicians opt for new arrangements, the spray form of the concert hall to make its provisions and its space-time moving a new sensory experience.

thanks for this
    just what I need on a cold afternoon

Comment

Blinkey blimey Chris! - many thanks for this

Comment

Download of "Gruppen" and Xenakis

thanks v much chris newman.

Comment

Grippin Gruppen!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Grippin Gruppen!
            And you others who have watched, thanks.

I first heard Gruppen when it was first played at a Prom with Pierre Boulez, Sir Edward Downes and Michael Tabachnik. I was rather annoyed that some members of the then BBCSO wore crash helmets and behaved as if it was a joke. You can loathe, love or simply like something but you must be professional. The Frankfurt RSO really put their hearts into the whole concert.

I am very impressed by the variety of music on the ArteLive Web from whence I popped this link and some other concerts. The concerts are usually available for a couple of months. It makes the 7 days on iPlayer look pathetic. Also ArteLive is free. I have it on my desktop. Lots of great jazz and rock too. Its good for keeping my holiday French topped up as well. It makes the BBC look very pale.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
              I am very impressed by the variety of music on the ArteLive Web from whence I popped this link and some other concerts. The concerts are usually available for a couple of months. It makes the 7 days on iPlayer look pathetic. Also ArteLive is free. I have it on my desktop. Lots of great jazz and rock too. Its good for keeping my holiday French topped up as well. It makes the BBC look very pale.
              I agree wholeheartedly. What a wonderful facility! Thanks, not only for the direct link to the Gruppen concert, but for sharing the wonders of this site in general.

Comment

And you others who have watched, thanks.

I first heard Gruppen when it was first played at a Prom with Pierre Boulez, Sir Edward Downes and Michael Tabachnik. I was rather annoyed that some members of the then BBCSO wore crash helmets and behaved as if it was a joke. You can loathe, love or simply like something but you must be professional.
                Thanks to you Chris. That Prom performance was a good 'un though, no? But I've seen rock bands wearing crash helmets, btw...

Comment

A couple of real gems, all too rarely heard on BBC Radio 3, round off this offering on ArteLive:

Hurrah for HDPE (other solutions available ).

Comment

Many Thanks for this link, Chris ( ): it helped to alleviate the post-Huddersfield "blues" (in fact, the de Mey was a very Huddersfield piece ).

I didn't know the Xenakis, but I loved the reaction of the two young blonde women (twins?) when the Brass entered at around 4 mins! And the Stockhausen performance made me realize how much Ferneyhough owes to this piece in his own Plotlichkeit and Cronos Aion. (This latter to be broadcast on Hear & Now next Saturday, by the way.)

I've bookmarked the site: an Aladdin's cave of treasures.

Best Wishes.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks Chris,

I've never looked at the LiveWeb Arte TV website before but as an experiment I downloaded the Messiaen/Schumann Pno Conc/Berlioz Symph Fant concert with the Orch. de Paris conducted by Paavo Jarvi and played it through my TV and audio system.

The presentation and camera work is very impressive, much better than what we get from the BBC, and the picture quality is surprisingly good. I thought the sound was suffering from dynamic range compression though (the sort of thing we get on FM) which is a pity.

I was mesmerized by the encore the pianist played after the Schumann Concerto, as were some of the orchestra from the shots of musicians with their eyes closed (but they could have just dozed off).

Anyway, does anyone know what the piece was? (It is approximately 53 minutes into the concert.) Perhaps Chopin?

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                        I agree wholeheartedly. What a wonderful facility! Thanks, not only for the direct link to the Gruppen concert, but for sharing the wonders of this site in general.
                        Totally agree DublinJimbo

Many thanks indeed Chris still no pork pie icon

Comment

Another source for a download of Gruppen (and Carré, come to that) can be found by Googling "Wolf Fifth". A real treasure trove of 'avant guarde' vinyl transfers.

Comment

. . . The concerts are usually available for a couple of months. . . .
                            And it should be noted that even thereafter, despite the French legend about expiry (ignore it), the concerts do remain available for down-loading indefinitely if (as I have recently expounded elsewhere) one uses rtmpdump.

Lots of great jazz and rock . . .
                            Sorry but for me that is a contradiction in terms. Logically impossible. I am not even sure about Stockhausen. By the way, Pli selon jolly old Pli is there as well, if any one is interested:

rtmpdump -r rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -a a2306/o25 -f "WIN 10,3,183,7" -t rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -p http://liveweb.arte.tv/ -o PliSelon.flv -y MP4:liveweb/stream/2806_20110927_Boulez_Pleyel-DEF_hd.mp4

(all one line)

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
                              for me that is a contradiction in terms. Logically impossible.
                              If only you were ontologically impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X