Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Download of "Gruppen" and Xenakis

Thanks Chris,

I've never looked at the LiveWeb Arte TV website before but as an experiment I downloaded the Messiaen/Schumann Pno Conc/Berlioz Symph Fant concert with the Orch. de Paris conducted by Paavo Jarvi and played it through my TV and audio system.

The presentation and camera work is very impressive, much better than what we get from the BBC, and the picture quality is surprisingly good. I thought the sound was suffering from dynamic range compression though (the sort of thing we get on FM) which is a pity.

I was mesmerized by the encore the pianist played after the Schumann Concerto, as were some of the orchestra from the shots of musicians with their eyes closed (but they could have just dozed off).

Anyway, does anyone know what the piece was? (It is approximately 53 minutes into the concert.) Perhaps Chopin?

Quote Originally Posted by DublinJimbo View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. What a wonderful facility! Thanks, not only for the direct link to the Gruppen concert, but for sharing the wonders of this site in general.
    Totally agree DublinJimbo

Many thanks indeed Chris still no pork pie icon

Another source for a download of Gruppen (and Carré, come to that) can be found by Googling "Wolf Fifth". A real treasure trove of 'avant guarde' vinyl transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Newman View Post
    . . . The concerts are usually available for a couple of months. . . .
    And it should be noted that even thereafter, despite the French legend about expiry (ignore it), the concerts do remain available for down-loading indefinitely if (as I have recently expounded elsewhere) one uses rtmpdump.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Newman View Post
    Lots of great jazz and rock . . .
    Sorry but for me that is a contradiction in terms. Logically impossible. I am not even sure about Stockhausen. By the way, Pli selon jolly old Pli is there as well, if any one is interested:

rtmpdump -r rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -a a2306/o25 -f "WIN 10,3,183,7" -t rtmp://arte.fcod.llnwd.net:1935/a2306/o25 -p http://liveweb.arte.tv/ -o PliSelon.flv -y MP4:liveweb/stream/2806_20110927_Boulez_Pleyel-DEF_hd.mp4

(all one line)

John Skelton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Grew View Post
    for me that is a contradiction in terms. Logically impossible.
    If only you were ontologically impossible.