The Enchanted Island (Metropolitan Opera)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Enchanted Island (Metropolitan Opera)

HD transmission to cinemas on 21 January 2012 - and I would assume live on R3 the same evening.

In one extraordinary new work, lovers of Baroque opera have it all: the world’s best singers, glorious music of the Baroque masters, and a story drawn from Shakespeare. In The Enchanted Island, the lovers from Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream are shipwrecked on his other-worldly island of The Tempest. Inspired by the musical pastiches and masques of the 18th century, the work showcases arias and ensembles by Handel, Vivaldi, Rameau, and others, and a new libretto by Jeremy Sams. Eminent conductor William Christie leads an all-star cast with David Daniels (Prospero) and Joyce DiDonato (Sycorax) as the formidable foes, Plácido Domingo as Neptune, Danielle de Niese as Ariel, and Luca Pisaroni as Caliban. Lisette Oropesa and Anthony Roth Costanzo play Miranda and Ferdinand. The dazzling production is directed and designed by Phelim McDermott and Julian Crouch (Satyagraha and the Met’s 125 anniversary gala).

Having heard Peter Gelb talking about this in the first interval of Rodelinda on Saturday, I decided to book to see this at a local cinema. I think it could be quite a treat.

I hope it is on Radio 3. My nearest cinema is 23 miles away by rail and then there is a three mile rush (taxi?) from the cinema to the station at the end. It sounds rather fun. I cannot imagine William Christie getting involved with a turkey.

Comment

21 January 1800

A reminder that this is coming up on Radio Three as well as in HD in cinemas. From the 'Round Table' discussion during last Saturday's Met broadcast, this sounds like a treat.

Comment

21 JAN AT 6PM THE ENCHANTED ISLAND - HANDEL AND OTHERS
        David Daniels (Prosepero), Joyce DiDonato (Sycorax) and Plácido Domingo (Neptune) with the New York Metropolitan Opera orchestra and chorus, William Christie conducts

Comment

& the week before there's Castor et Pollux from ENO. I think (but can't be sure, given my memory ) that it was well received musically but not dramatically. Two weekends in a row of Baroque treats!

Comment

From the NYT, a preview article on The Enchanted Island:

The NYT review of the production:

Unfortunately, a schedule conflict will prevent me from seeing this in the cinema. I wasn't sure about it some time back, but it sounds more intriguing now. Maybe I'll catch the encore, or just wait for it to show up on PBS sometime way down the line.

Comment

"Caliban looked menacing yet endearing in an exotic costume" ...

Thanks for the reference to the review and other links. I've been intrigued by this since the Music Matters item about it, and it's one I shall be tuning in for / recording. Not usually a fan of the Met broadcasts but this could be an exception.

I've always wanted to see a Handel or Rameau opera with authentic staging rather than World War I &c. &c., and the look of this is what I've been after, it seems. Toying with the idea of going to the local to see it live or one of the encore performances...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                one of the encore performances...
                Caliban - what are the encore performances? BBC seems not to repeat the Met broadcasts on iPlayer, presumably for contract reasons.

Comment

An article by Jeremy Sams, and eleven stills of the production in today's Guardian:

A new opera, made from chopped-up bits of baroque music and The Tempest, is about to hit UK cinemas. Its creator Jeremy Sams relives a labour of love

Comment

Nice images - I won't be able to get to a cinema, but did wonder if there is likely to be a DVD in the offing.

OG

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      Caliban - what are the encore performances? BBC seems not to repeat the Met broadcasts on iPlayer, presumably for contract reasons.
                      The Met are keeping total control of their products. If a cinema shows ROH, Glyndebourne, BPO productions it is refused Met ones. I would not be surprised if the megalomaniac Peter Gelb starts treating broadcasters the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                        The Met are keeping total control of their products. If a cinema shows ROH, Glyndebourne, BPO productions it is refused Met ones. I would not be surprised if the megalomaniac Peter Gelb starts treating broadcasters the same.
                        How pathetic - but I guess that's business for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                          Chris, this can't be true. The Picture House chain is showing both Met and ROH transmissions.

Comment

Caliban - what are the encore performances?

At my local, there were 4 encore performances through the subsequent 10 days after the live relay. only one encore showing now... Selling out fast I guess
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Chris, this can't be true. The Picture House chain is showing both Met and ROH transmissions.
                              I heard it first when I queried why the Met screenings had dried up in the Odeons in our vicinity. Then I read this (5th paragraph):

Manager Peter Gelb is leading the way in attracting a new, younger audience to New York's Metropolitan Opera, but at what cost, asks Charlotte Higgins

Comment

Working...
                              X