The Enchanted Island (Metropolitan Opera)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Opera on 3 tonight
    Joyce DiDonato, David Daniels and Placido Domingo star in Jeremy Sams's musical pastiche.

Comment

I have much enjoyed the broadcast on R3 tonight. I was pleased that Jeremy Sams avoided the temptation to write a slapstick farce and instead wrote a storyline that could well have come from the days when such pastiches were all the vogue. Some lines sounded modern, some Drydenesque and most were "adapted" Shakespeare. I though all the cast aquitted themselves with honours. It was nice to hear Placido thoroughly enjoying himself on his 71st Birthday, even though I can only assume he was singing in English. His accent is unique and lovely.

I was much impressed by the Ferdinand, sung by Anthony Roth Constanzo (countertenor), a new voice to me. He has covered the previous performances for David Daniels as Prospero. David Daniels was recovered from his cold tonight, not as free in coloratura as usual. Roth Constanzo is a real haut contre tenor, very masculine and clarion clear. A wonderful discovery. Both the mezzos were stunning, the Sycorax of Joyce DiDonato and Hermia of Elizabeth DeShong, taking no prisoners. (mezzo-soprano). Danielle de Niese as Ariel scattered us with fireworks. If the Caliban of Luca Pisaroni was not as sweet toned as usual we can forgive him because he gave the role plenty of snarling character. William Christie kept the performers light and gave the accompaniment a swing. The Met Chorus did not sound as matronly as usual.

Comment

I agree with you Chris. The performance was brilliant and I too was very impressed by Anthony Roth Constanzo (countertenor). Only I wasn’t sure if I liked Handel and Vivaldi plus odd Rameau or two all thrown in together. Yes, I know that that was meant to be the whole point…Still, it must be an enormous fun to see it and I wish I could see it.

Comment

Hi doversoul,
          Constanzo really has an amazing voice. In the big Met auditorium he put quite a bit of metal into the voice: I rather regretted that David Daniels's cold was better (that must sound very selfish, but the new boy is good). On this page of his website there are three songs, two Handel and one Britten: click on the individual songtitles and they will come up to play.

His voice sounds much more countertenorish used more softly but so rich and smooth.

Reading some reviews I see he has a huge voice and has already sung songs as big Mahler's Ruckert Lieder. One reviewer thinks he could be the first countertenor to sing Das Lied von der Erde.
          I hope he waits a few years and uses his voice carefully.

Glad you enjoyed the pastiche. Like you I did find there were musical gear changes but no worse the in The Beggar's Opera.

Best wishes
          Chris.

Comment

I agree with Chris's review of the music and singing. I'm just back from seeing it in the cinema. A visual feast, with quite a bit of amusing business, and a stunning coup de theatre for the end of Act I - Neptune's court underwater, complete with four mermaids flying/swimming above! I thought the orchestra was terrific. And I seem to have fallen in love with Danielle de Niese .

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I agree with Chris's review of the music and singing. I'm just back from seeing it in the cinema. A visual feast, with quite a bit of amusing business, and a stunning coup de theatre for the end of Act I - Neptune's court underwater, complete with four mermaids flying/swimming above! I thought the orchestra was terrific.
              Yes, I saw it too and agree with all of the above. A great spectacle and well presented. Much enjoyed.

OG

Comment

Does no one else have a hankering to hear the original works rather than this melange?

Comment

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
                  Does no one else have a hankering to hear the original works rather than this melange?
                  <raisedhandemoticon>

... still; glad others enjoyed it!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
                    See #18 (if that's what you mean )

Comment

Working...
                    X