John Gardner: Tomorrow shall be my dancing day .............

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Gardner: Tomorrow shall be my dancing day .............

doubtless members already knew this, announced on the radio, that Mr Gardner died on Monday aged 94

some interesting photos on this site

Last edited by mercia; 15-12-11, 10:21.

English composer John Linton Gardner 1917-2011

John Linton Gardner (2 March 1917 – 12 December 2011)

IMO underrated English composer died yesterday.
    Some of his music, i.a. his quite original first and rather shostakovichian third symphonies as well as some concertos and a symphony for strings are elegant and well crafted music, and IMO at least as good as e.g. Alwyn's.

RIP
    Last edited by french frank; 14-12-11, 23:11. Reason: Merged thread

Comment

Many thanks for this announcement, mercia - I hadn't heard, and had indeed assumed he was long gone. To my shame, I know only his Dancing Day, which I think is a fine piece. I'm glad he had a good innings - saltet Johannes apud sanctos in aeternum.

Comment

I like what little I've heard of his music, particularly the 1st symphony. Another of this country's many neglected composers.

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          John Linton Gardner (2 March 1917 – 12 December 2011)

IMO underrated English composer died yesterday.
          Some of his music, i.a. his quite original first and rather shostakovichian third symphonies as well as some concertos and a symphony for strings are elegant and well crafted music, and IMO at least as good as e.g. Alwyn's.

RIP
          Roehre. I don't know any of this composers music but if it's as good as Alwyn's I need to investigate. Any CD or download recommendations?.

thanks in advance.

Comment

Also love Dancing Day. JG has, I imagine, a fairly large but little known output. One thinks of Joubert (Torches and There is no Rose)...still alive...a prolific composer and symphonist, who does not have the recognition he deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Also love Dancing Day. JG has, I imagine, a fairly large but little known output.
              I recall his Five Hymns in Popular Style from my Sixth Form days. They were a revelation after our diet of Hymns A&M! Wonderful stuff: Nearer My God to Thee, with some stunning modulations, and Fight the Good Fight with a rumba rhythm. I could sing them virtually complete now!

I also appear to have a recording of his First Symphony and First Piano Concerto, though I can't recall much about it. Here's an excuse to play it - and the wonderful Christ Church/Francis Grier recording of Dancing Day.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                Roehre. I don't know any of this composers music but if it's as good as Alwyn's I need to investigate. Any CD or download recommendations?.

thanks in advance.
                His 1st symphony is on Naxos, his 3rd plus a flute concerto and the symphony for strings on ASV.
                I prefer symphony no.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  His 1st symphony is on Naxos, his 3rd plus a flute concerto and the symphony for strings on ASV.
                  I prefer symphony no.1.
                  Appreciate that. I will have to ask father christmas!.

Comment

Alas I have aha d a busy week, thius fasr and didn';t see that at all. Not on BBC website! Disgraceful. I love his music. RIP JG
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Appreciate that. I will have to ask father christmas!.
                      Santa might feel generous: both Discs are on Budget labels (Naxos and ASV White Label) IIRC.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Tomorrow shall be my dancing day.

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                        I recall his Five Hymns in Popular Style from my Sixth Form days. They were a revelation after our diet of Hymns A&M! Wonderful stuff: Nearer My God to Thee, with some stunning modulations, and Fight the Good Fight with a rumba rhythm. I could sing them virtually complete now!

I also appear to have a recording of his First Symphony and First Piano Concerto, though I can't recall much about it. Here's an excuse to play it - and the wonderful Christ Church/Francis Grier recording of Dancing Day.
                        I too can sing so much of his music by heart - does anyone remember the Shakespeare songs - "Full Fathom Five"? I was always fascinated by the modulations. Do you remember that he would eventually get sick of our talking during choir practice and he would growl "shut up talking" as he shook his head at us. We were delighted as always and did shut up! - for about 5 minutes! I hope that he is dancing now, bless him!

Comment

RIP John Gardner.

The BBC could, and should, present a month or more of music by neglected British composers, several of whom actually worked for the Corporation.

Comment

A very sensible suggestion from the source of many such suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              A very sensible suggestion from the source of many such suggestions.
                              Agreed!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X