Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russell Hoban 1925-2011

I was very sorry to read of the death of Russell Hoban, novelist, writer of children's stories, librettist (for Harrison Birtwhistle) and poet. I particularly liked his children's book The Mouse and his Child and his novels Kleinzeit and Riddley Walker. A couple of obituaries here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011.../russell-hoban

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...r-6277047.html

Riddley Walker is one of very greatest post-apocalyptic fables ever written, hugely influential and both clever and scarily prescient.

Comment

His collaboration with Quentin Blake created some wonderful picture books. The Rain Door was one of them.

RIP

Comment

Sad news. Riddley Walker is firmly entrenched on my you-must-read-this recommendation list. Everyone I've mentioned it to has come back to thank me for finding out about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
          Sad news. Riddley Walker is firmly entrenched on my you-must-read-this recommendation list. Everyone I've mentioned it to has come back to thank me for finding out about it.
          Is it suitable for teenage readers? Age? I'm an admirer of The Mouse and His Child.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
            Mine too. A truly amazing read - difficult not to write trashy hyperbole to enthuse about it, but you must read it if you haven't.

As for teenage readers - difficult to put an age on it, but I find it difficult to envisage a teenager who wouldn't be gripped by it, bearing in mind the main protagonist.

Russell Hoban - A sad loss.

Comment

Working...
            X