Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing us proud this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Watson View Post
    You say "their usual stuff" Ardcarp, but I'd have you know that we are making a special effort this year and doing an almost entirely new program for this concert (it is our annual appearance at SJSS, which always marks the end of our year) and if you tune in you'll hear a rarely performed Palestrina Mass and lots of lovely German pieces by two Praetoriusses and one Eccard!
    I would second this review ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...ew?INTCMP=SRCH ) regarding the Tallis Scholars' performance in the Sage, Gateshead last Sunday night. If the SJSS gig is as good (slightly different programme from what I can see in RT) it will be a joy.
    Last edited by Old Grumpy; 20-12-11 at 17:00. Reason: Serious apostrophe offence

Boys only in St Nick. The one young lad singing the lines of the young St Nick was hoisted onto the stage by Allan Clayton. There were actually four of them singing the pickled boys

None of the semi chorus were separated from the main choir

There were three countertenors in the Trinity choir so Ceremony of Carols wasn't quite all female (and they were almost one lady fewer as one stood on her own skirt while stepping down from the stage in the recessional and stumbled very heavily, but just about managed to stay on her feet)

I'll be there on Thurs too
    --
    David Underdown

Quote Originally Posted by David Underdown View Post
    (and they were almost one lady fewer as one stood on her own skirt while stepping down from the stage in the recessional and stumbled very heavily, but just about managed to stay on her feet)
    This brought back a memory of our church choir in the 1950's when one of the men ( my friend's grandfather )trod on his cassock when processing solemnly through the chancel and went flying. We boys couldn't stop laughing. The Rector was not amused as I remember!

VCC

Is the video of the Mozart Requiem currently on the Grauniad website really to be admired?

The sound is terribly dry, boxy and in fact the ensemble isn't all that hot either, and the choir sounds knackered.

Sop soloist not at all bad, ditto bass, but the tenor..........hmm.

I would second this review ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...ew?INTCMP=SRCH ) regarding the Tallis Scholars' performance in the Sage, Gateshead last Sunday night. If the SJSS gig is as good (slightly different programme from what I can see in RT) it will be a joy.
    I am sure it will be. Please, please, I wasn't dissing the Tallis Scholars in any way!

Quote Originally Posted by ardcarp View Post
    I am sure it will be. Please, please, I wasn't dissing the Tallis Scholars in any way!
    I know - I wasn't getting at you! I am just pleased that we are doing some new pieces. Smith Square isn't the most rewarding of places in which to sing, but it's always the last concert of the year for us, and is usually fun!