Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wish List

Whilst we have Oilrig's attention (long may it continue, welcome aboard, loads of other positive welcoming stuff ) I thought we should have a WM wish list, not just for specific artists we'd like to hear more of and about (for example, predictably from me, Iarla Ó Lionáird ), ideas for programmes that we've mentioned before (for example - the exploration of the griot dynasties, the history of WM in the UK) and er, well, loads of other stuff...

so, knowing's Lat's liking for lists , I'll sit back and wait for some lengthy posts (or not).

Maybe this will even tempt Mr. Sherratt and McG out...
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 27-12-11, 13:35. Reason: added YouTube link courtesy of Lat.

Good idea for a thread. Purely off the top of my head and my apologies if I am covering old ground:

LIST

African dynasties - Diabates, Traores, Keitas, etc.
    How African music survived the Empire.
    History of music in the South African townships.
    More on Senegal and Mali.
    The detailed story of the Ethiopiques.
    The story of Rai.
    Follow-up programme on desert blues.
    The music of Libya.
    The unexpected Eastern Europe - music traditions other than Romany.
    The long-term effects of Glasnost on music traditions in ex-Soviet states.
    Music of the European gypsies from Eastern Europe to the Camargue.
    The African influence on the music of Southern Europe.
    The history of flamenco.
    The little known folk of France and Spain - ie not just Brittany and Galicia.
    The polyphonic groups of the Mediterranean countries and islands.
    Accordion music.
    The interaction of world music and jazz.
    Jazz in the Netherlands.
    Fusion and supergroups.
    Comparison of London and Paris as catalysts to modern production of African material.
    The African music scene in London - 1970s.
    The music of Jewish London.
    Post-war ceilidhs in London.
    The Cecil Sharp story.
    The life and work of Jean Jenkins.
    Salford folk.
    The celtic tradition in Wales.
    The music of the North West border - Dumfries, Galloway and Cumbria.
    The folk music of Northern Ireland.
    Music of the pagans and the druids.
    The folk tradition in BBC programmes for schools.
    The music of the music hall.
    The influence of folk on English classical music.
    Fela Kuti in America.
    Follow-up programme on cajun and zydeco.
    Swamp music.
    The story of gospel music.
    Music and revolution.
    Politicians' ventures into music - ie Luis Godoy and Grupo Mancotal.
    Tribute to Cesaria Evora.
    Women of Latin America.
    Bossa-nova.
    Latin America - 60s rock to indie rock - a distinctive cross-continent influence.
    The history of ska.
    Maoris and music.
    The traditional music of Japan.
    Taiko drummers.
    The Okinawan Festival.
    A novice's guide to the music of India and Pakistan.
    The music of Sri Lanka - please include coverage of tea plantations.
    More qawwali.
    Musical collaboration between Israel and Palestine.
    Music in Ahmadinejad's Iran.
    Afghanistan.
    Groups found in unexpected places - ie Fat Freddy's Drop, Mama Rosin.
    Music as a healing force - ie Staff Benda Bilili, Israel Vibration.
    Music, ritual and ceremony - births, weddings and funerals.
    The choirs of the world's terraces - when football crowds make music.
    Music for weather making and the growing of crops.
    Climate change - the musical adaptation of people in the Arctic.
    The music of the sea.
    The role of music across different time zones.
    World music broadcasting across the world - especially radio.
    A guide to world music terminology.
    Last edited by Guest; 28-12-11, 02:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      so, knowing's Lat's liking for lists ,
      No way Global, that'll never happen.

After listening to Virginia Rodrigues in Music Planet I'd like a further investigation of the musical roots of Candomblé.

Comment

impressive list LT

Comment

Here's another. Youssou N'dour has announced that he is entering politics, giving up his music career - a little unclear as to what his involvement will be.
          http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AP0U120111126

It would be interesting to examine, on a broader level the WM links between performers and politics both historically and currently.

Sometimes WM performers become well respected cultural ambassadors representing their country (e.g. Gilberto Gil), sometimes their involvement leads to tragedy and persecution (e.g. Fela) - it has surprised me that there hasn't been more protest and/or celebratory music coming out of the 'Arab Spring'.

Or maybe it's just that the BBC haven't reported/discovered/researched it?

Lat - you had politicians ventures into music, this is obviously the reverse...

Comment

In many ways, I am sorry to hear this news about Youssou. I have several of his cds and have been lucky enough to see him perform live three times. It is not entirely unexpected that he has chosen to move into the political arena but I hadn't expected him to stop singing altogether. Let's hope that bit isn't true.

Perhaps I meant in my earlier reference "musicians moving into politics" rather than vice versa although in the case of Charles Dawes the politics really came first. Such things are fluid but I guess that the art is more frequently the starting point.

As for Luis Godoy, my research today shows that he was a musician first and foremost. His brother Carlos was the vice-presidential running mate of Edmundo Jarquín in the Sandinista Renovation Movement during the 2006 presidential election. Both brothers had been involved in the New Song Movement in the 1970s. However, the precise role of Luis in the late 1980s is more muddled in my mind and for this I must blame Billy Bragg. On that very special night when he and Mancotal performed together, it wasn't so much a gig as a party. A really wonderful occasion that was often also chaotic. Comments were half heard in the hubbub and, of course, some things were lost in translation. I understood Bill to have said that Luis Godoy was the Nicaraguan Minister for Culture.

But Wikipedia has it that the poet Ernesto Cardenal was in that role from 1979 to 1987. I think I knew that anyway. It then says the ministry was closed in 1987 for economic reasons. So perhaps that was what was said or alternatively there might have been a joke from the Bard about Godoy being effectively the successor to Cardenal. Maybe Godoy was actually in that role informally. Not sure. It was the only time that I danced on a stage with an international group so I didn't have my mind on the finer detail.

Last edited by Guest; 29-12-11, 14:41.

Comment

Thanks for that Lat - I suppose it's not unusual for artists of various hues to enter politics - Bob Marley flirted with it - strangely Bob Dylan never did, much to the annoyance of Joan Baez. And for some they may have little left to say and feel like they can use their fame to make a change. Wasn't there a musician who was running for Haitian President - Wyclef Jean wasn't it?

An obvious one is Aurelio Martinez the Honduran singer and politician from the Garifuna people. I like his music and when I have heard him speak, most recently with Cerys, I found him to be a most interesting guy. For him it is a way of raising the issues of his people, as he sees it.

Of course most artists who go into politics tend to find that their art suffers as a consequence so it's a big step to take. Meanwhile there's a few 'musicians' that I find myself wishing would go into politics full time....or anything else for that matter.

Comment

Lady Gaga as the new Sarah Palin.

Do you actually have to stand for election to be a politician in this context? When I think of music and politics, one of the very first names that comes into my head is that of Victor Jara.

Comment

.....and the member for Hampstead of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B2NVW1FogM

(By the look of it, Parliament was cheerier in 1980)

Comment

Here's a relevant article....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...inment+News%29

Comment

Well, where do you start with Britain and America? There are so many angles. How about Steve Earle's Jerusalem?

But they are right in many ways of course. The responses from the hip-hop artists are unforgivably lame given that they had the very best of guidance:

Last edited by Guest; 29-12-11, 16:25.

Comment

I don't think I could ever be as prolific as Lateralthinking, but here's a very small list;

• A history of the 'Biwa' instrument.

• Shidaiqu Music of Shanghai in the 1920s & 30s

• Fiddle Band Music from Kentucky in the 1920s & 30s

only a few ideas, but hopefully something unique on top of LT's brilliant list.

Comment

Originally posted by geofflikesmusic View Post

• Shidaiqu Music of Shanghai in the 1920s & 30s

Now why did Wendi Deng spring to mind when I watched that brilliant clip?

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                            Lady Gaga as the new Sarah Palin.

It's bad enough having Lady Gaga as the new Madonna. Both Queens of Style over Substance, limited talent over-hyped. Come to think of it maybe a sound basis for a modern politician.

Comment

Another wish...

Programmes on the Unsung Heroes of WM.

For example, http://www.sternsmusic.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X