ELMO HOPE...its for all of YOU ! (on JRR this SAT 7/1/2012).

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh thanks Calum!

Clearly has roots in Monk and Bud, at times more like a more heavy-handed Dick Twardzik than Herbie. Looks forward to Dollar Brand and Don Pullen in some ways.

Bet they had to retune a lot of joannas!

Comment

Agree with comments about Hasaan, a real shame that there is only the one album, the second one was not released and the master was lost in a fire in the 60's that claimed a lot of valuable material including a lot of unissued Ornette.

The second album was a quartet that included the tenor player Odean Pope apparently a copy of this did get out and some collectors are said to have heard it.

Frank Hewitt was another pianist who idolised Elmo, he was old enough to have spent time with him and had a real feel for the music without copying. There are elements of Bud, Monk and Elmo there but he had his own voice. Check out his albums issued on the Smalls label.

Nice to the interest that this forum has generated for Elmo, Herbie and Hasaan

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that Coltrane got the "Giant Steps" chord changes concept from Hasaan. Think they were both from Philly? Hasaan used to bang on Max Roach's door at 4am to play his piano and Roach played the Atlantic master (trio) tapes to Sonny Rollins at a party - Newk was also much impressed..."Got down on his knees by the speaker", according to Max. Although, maybe he had dropped his After Eight.

Don't forget Elmo joined Curtis Counce's (WONDERFUL) Quintet after Carl Perkins sadly passed...a fine LP, "Exploring the Future" with Harold Land and Rolf Ericson as the front line. Think it was back out for a while on a Affinity CD? And he arranged the tracks for Harold's first LP for Contemporary..."In the Land of Jazz" (aka "Groveyard").

GOOD to see ALL this interest in ELMO. He repays constant & detailed listening - the '59 "TRIO" album (Jimmy Bond/Frank Butler) is superb for Butler's support and anticipation of Elmo's delays and total control.

TA-SKI. ELMO. (as we say in the Soviet Union).
        BN.

Comment

Bluesnik - "Exploring the Future" with Harold Land and Rolf Ericson as the front line. Think it was back out for a while on a Affinity CD? And he arranged the tracks

The copy I have got came out on the Boplicity label (Bop CD 007) and it is well worth tracking down, it every bit as good as Bluesnik says. This edition is the only one I am aware of that has the previously unissued track "Forecast" on it, a Duke Jordan composition (wrongly titled foreplay on the album- Freudian slip?). No idea why it was excluded from the original issues it is every bit as good as the rest of the album, too long for LP format I suppose.

Comment

Working...
          X