Another step down: B.B.C. to broadcast advertisements for trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Another step down: B.B.C. to broadcast advertisements for trade?

Plans to run adverts on the BBC World Service have been attacked by one of its former managing directors.

Shame!
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
    Without lots of knowledge on the matter I would be inclined to agree with John Tusa:
    In the article he says it would breach a "crucial" principle and "not raise much money".

To me it feels like, 'Let's run it on the World Service and then we can wedge it in elsewhere.'

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
      • Nov 2010

Entirely agree, Sydney. World Service is being used as a test ground and I am sure there are draft plans on file to roll out advertising across the entire BBC.

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

look at R1 and R2 - obvious commercial stations flying under a flag of convenience - look at R3 - station idents + 1 minute at least of adverts (aka 'trailers') every hour and more frequent at periods when less discerning listeners are deliberately being attracted - you honestly didn't expect this Tory government (nor the last one under Blair/Brown) to support culture other than that found on popular TV.

Comment

• Budapest

The World Service has always been funded independently from the BBC (it used to be funded by the secret service budget, MI6 and all that, but now they call the funding something different). The BBC itself, as I believe I pointed out in another thread, gathers a huge amount of revenue from adverts outside of its UK operation. BBC America is the biggest one. Cynics will tell you that this is why you never get any real coverage or criticism of America on the BBC.

Do you ever get the feeling that you've been conned?

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

the last sentence in that link says that after 2014 the FO will no longer fund the World Service. How will / should it be funded thereafter? (assuming you still want it to exist)

Comment

• amateur51

Siddley, this is by far the shortest, most informative and most palatable post from you that I have ever read

Keep up the good work!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I would have expected more reaction to the o/p. This news is not a shame. It is diabolical. Surely advertising will come to the domestic services on the back of it. Does this happen with NPR, ABC and Voice of Russia?
                Last edited by Guest; 08-01-12, 15:10.

Comment

Working...
                X