Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opera on 3 Castor and Pollux 14 January

I may be glad to be just listening. Is anyone going / has anyone been (when you read this) to the preformance?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0195pkc (scroll down)

P.S. The programme is mentioned in the Enchanted Island.

[ed] I mean in the The Enchanted Island thread.
    Last edited by doversoul1; 14-01-12, 14:18.

I shall listen on the radio. Or at least - I shall give it a try. I fear that Rameau in English, for me, just won't work... But I'll give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      I shall listen on the radio. Or at least - I shall give it a try. I fear that Rameau in English, for me, just won't work... But I'll give it a try
      I agree, Vinteuil...I just can't imagine hearing this in English. I have two CD versions, the Christie and the older Farncombe one from the early 80s....I am particularly fond of the latter. And you?

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        I agree, Vinteuil...I just can't imagine hearing this in English. I have two CD versions, the Christie and the older Farncombe one from the early 80s....I am particularly fond of the latter. And you?
        This was one of the first Rameau operas I fell in love with - in the form of the old [1972] Harnoncourt/concentus musicus Wien recording on das Alte Werk. Later I came to find this unsatisfactory - and was delighted when the Wm: Christie / les Arts Florissants discs on harmonia mundi came out [1993]. This latter is still my favourite...
        (I don't know the Farncombe one - I imagine the "HIPP" of the 1980s must be in itself quite "historical" )

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          This was one of the first Rameau operas I fell in love with - in the form of the old [1972] Harnoncourt/concentus musicus Wien recording on das Alte Werk. Later I came to find this unsatisfactory - and was delighted when the Wm: Christie / les Arts Florissants discs on harmonia mundi came out [1993]. This latter is still my favourite...
          (I don't know the Farncombe one - I imagine the "HIPP" of the 1980s must be in itself quite "historical" )
          I just remembered that I have that Harnoncourt one in a reissue from a couple of years back, Vinteuil...it does sound rather dated now. But the Farncombe one (Erato) is well worth getting hold of, it is the revised version of 1754 and though shorter than the Christie, is full of good things...the English Bach Festival Baroque Orchestra, so many well known English period players from the vintage years of the 80s. Plus Philippe Huttenlocher and the wonderful Jennifer Smith as Télaire. I imagine the set is long deleted, but keep your eyes open for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            I just remembered that I have that Harnoncourt one in a reissue from a couple of years back, Vinteuil...it does sound rather dated now. But the Farncombe one (Erato) is well worth getting hold of, it is the revised version of 1754 and though shorter than the Christie, is full of good things...the English Bach Festival Baroque Orchestra, so many well known English period players from the vintage years of the 80s. Plus Philippe Huttenlocher and the wonderful Jennifer Smith as Télaire. I imagine the set is long deleted, but keep your eyes open for it.

Christie for me - "Tristes aprêts..." was the piece, heard at random on the Early Music Show I think, which opened up the whole world of baroque opera for me, from a standing start.

I share your difficulty with Rameau etc. in English.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I am enjoying the radio show but miss so much of the music. If this were The Trojans by Berlioz or an early opera by Verdi or Wagner I would feel very deprived of some great music. The director is too bigotted against dance. Even mime rather than ballet would justify so much lovely music.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                I am enjoying the radio show but miss so much of the music. If this were The Trojans by Berlioz or an early opera by Verdi or Wagner I would feel very deprived of some great music. The director is too bigotted against dance. Even mime rather than ballet would justify so much lovely music.
                As it's new to me I'm enjoying it. The Director is the man who put the petrol station into Walkuere in Hamburg. Natch.

Comment

Working...
                X