Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    yours is a good Montesquieu quote. He was of course French: no wonder therefore that also: "He goes so far as to assert that certain climates are superior to others, the temperate climate of France being ideal. His view is that people living in very warm countries are "too hot-tempered," while those in northern countries are "icy" or "stiff."
    Nonsense to the extent that my experience (borne out this week by a call today with Paris where it is -4 but -20 with the wind chill) is that when it's cold in Paris, it is much more so (and more damply so) than here...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      It's DEFINITELY how I imagine him!!
      But with his leather bound pocket edition of Proust always in his hand .........

Comment

Vin, did your pulse never quicken as a lad, as the mileometer in the family Silver Ghost ticked up through the 900s... to clock over in a joyous burst of zeros to the clear blue sky of a new '1,000' or '10,000' ?
        ... but never anything as vulgar or m'as-tu vu as a Rolls-Royce: always a Daimler... The raised eyebrows when my wastrel brother acquired - a Lancia...

Comment

a Lancia Delta was a favourite car ....

.... seems like a thousand years ago ......
          Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 03-02-12, 17:05.
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

When I were a lad I used to like travelling in a Daimler down to the town!

Okay, so it was a double decker Maidstone and District bus, but you no wot I mean!

3VS

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
              Okay, so it was a double decker Maidstone and District bus, but you no wot I mean!
              o, you was lucky! - I had to make do with a double decker Bristol Lodekka * [I think - further research may be necessary... ] of the Bath Tramways/Bristol Omnibus companies...

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Lodekka

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post

That would have been after my time of using Mud & Dirt buses. We had Leyland Atlanteans in my later years at school, following the special low-bridge version of whatever it was they had before.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  A wastrel you say, vindetable? Sounds like a fine chap

Calum - I agree: this was the second car I ever owned, a Delta Integrale. Went like Samuel Scheidt off a shovel

Comment

A wastrel you say, vindetable? Sounds like a fine chap
                    ...well. he acquired a Lancia. And then he left to go and live in Australia. Need I say more?

Comment

well there does come that certain moment with a Lancia ...

“I recall certain moments, let us call them icebergs in paradise, when after having had my fill of her –after fabulous, insane exertions that left me limp and azure-barred–I would gather her in my arms with, at last, a mute moan of human tenderness (her skin glistening in the neon light coming from the paved court through the slits in the blind, her soot-black lashes matted, her grave gray eyes more vacant than ever–for all the world a little patient still in the confusion of a drug after a major operation)–and the tenderness would deepen to shame and despair, and I would lull and rock my lone light Lolita in my marble arms, and moan in her warm hair, and caress her at random and mutely ask her blessing, and at the peak of this human agonized selfless tenderness (with my soul actually hanging around her naked body and ready to repent), all at once, ironically, horribly, lust would swell again–and 'oh, no,' Lolita would say with a sigh to heaven, and the next moment the tenderness and the azure–all would be shattered.”
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        o, you was lucky! - I had to make do with a double decker Bristol Lodekka * [I think - further research may be necessary... ] of the Bath Tramways/Bristol Omnibus companies...

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Lodekka
                        What a design of genius that was. A double-decker ( I almost put Double Decca) bus that could go under low bridges, with a central gangway upstairs instead of a channel which had the by-product of a part-lowered roof on the lower deck and the 'lower your head when leaving your seat' notice, which led to many bumped pates.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

.... seems like a thousand years ago ......
                          New photo, Cal! Ah yes... that was one of the final "Evoluzione" versions of the Integrale: caused me anguished writhings after the 1988 8 valve pictured in my earlier post, but I resisted

Comment

I notice that yesterday the forum broke another record too: over 500 posts in one day (515 in fact). Is there something going on I should be told about?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I notice that yesterday the forum broke another record too: over 500 posts in one day (515 in fact). Is there something going on I should be told about?
                              The forum is going from strength to strength thanks to your (and others) hard work.

Comment

In recognition of the link between music and mathematics you should be lauding the 1024th new member. I'm sure you know why.

Comment

Working...
                                X