X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE Manchester Cathedral 8th Feb 2012

CE Manchester Cathedral

Order of Service:

Introit: Corpus Christi Carol (Judith Bingham) ('The Choirbook for The Queen' -first performance)
    Responses: Tomkins
    Office Hymn: O Trinity of blessed light (Plainsong)
    Psalms: 42, 43 (Camidge, Stokes)
    First Lesson: Ecclesiastes 3:1-15
    Magnificat (Stadlmayr)
    Second Lesson: John 17: 20-26
    Nunc Dimittis (Giorgi)
    Anthem: Judicame, Deus (Andrea Gabrieli)
    Jubilate Deo in E flat (Britten)
    Hymn: Songs of thankfulness and praise (St Edmund)

Organ Voluntary: Moto ostinato from Musica Dominicalis (Petr Eben)

Jeffrey Makinson (Sub Organist)
    Christopher Stokes (Organist and Master of the Choristers)

Interesting music list.....

Comment

Don't know either of the canticle settings. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Don't know either of the canticle settings. Any advice?

The likely contenders that I can find are:

Johann Stadlmayer: born ?Freising, Bavaria, c1580, died Innsbruck, 12 July 1648; musician to the Archbishop of Salzburg, 1603; Kapellmeister to the court of Archduke Maximilian II at Innsbruck, 1607; seems to have composed around 20 settings of the Magnificat.

Giovanni Giorgi: born early 18th century, died June 1762; Priest and musician; 1719 Maestro di Capella at St John Lateran, Rome; 1725 Mestre de Capela to the court at Lisbon.
        Last edited by subcontrabass; 05-02-12, 14:04. Reason: missing date

Comment

What a funny selection of composers.......

Comment

Apart from the Britten Jubilate Deo, I don't recognise any of it at all, so I'll be listening with ears wide open. I'm curious to hear what Judith Bingham's done with the Corpus Christi Carol and very glad to be hearing from Manchester.

Comment

What a funny selection of composers.......
              Unusual maybe, but isn't that good thing from time to time? I'll go with the thoughts expressed in #6

Comment

Makes a delightful change top hear new music!!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Reminder: today @ 3.30.

From the cathedral website:
                  "The Cathedral Choir consists of up to 20 trebles (boys and girls) and nine Lay-Clerks, who are all professional singers in and around Manchester."

Comment

Bloomin' 'eck!
                    Is she going to do a R3 Breakfast type running commentary throughout the service?? Please, NO, no, no.

Comment

Loved the home-spun sound of the first lesson! (though saying so makes me out to be even more of a snob than I really am ...)

Comment

Wasn't that a terrific first reading - bold, fine voice, in yer face and commonsensical. and a very tricky lesson to read too. All this 'time to''s one after the other!

Comment

Loved it. Musical, energetic, brisk, some fine solo singing in all parts, good strong top, nice balance so that we heard everybody.

Wish it was like that every week!

BUT 'fraid, madame precentor, running commentary on the items was DJ not CE.

Comment

BUT 'fraid, madame precentor, running commentary on the items was DJ not CE.[/QUOTE]

All very R4 'Sunday/Daily Service' wasn't it, sadly? But with Oxford Rd, Manchester the home of BBC religious broadcasting I s'pose they were bound to take full advantage on their home patch. The psalm commentary was the most distracting. Perhaps we can have full biographies of each chant & responses composer next time - I'm holding out for Thomas Weelkes's Chichester exploits in that case!

Comment

Nice treble sound! The 'Blue Peter' element of the precentor's introductions was, for me, unnecessary, but perhaps that's just their style - fine. I liked the aged Simeon kicking up his heels in a courtly dance! Nice to hear that early (1934?) Britten Jubilate Deo too!

Comment

Working...
                              X