Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monteverdi's Vespers: Monday 16 February

Jonathan Swain presents a performance of Monteverdi's Vespers (1610) from Poland.
    Jonathan Swain presents a performance of Monteverdi's Vespers of 1610 given in Poland.

Interspersed with plainchant sung /chanted (or joined) by the audience. The performance is nothing as polished as JEG & Co. but that, to me, makes this a rather moving listening.

Comment

Aci, Galatea e Polifemo (Italian version): Wednesday 4th

A brilliant performance of an early Handel cantata

12:56 AM
      Handel, Georg Frideric [1685-1759]; Giuvo, Nicola [1680-1758] (librettist)
      Aci, Galatea e Polifemo HWV 72, serenata

Roberta Invernizzi (soprano),
      Sonia Prina (contralto),
      Christopher Purves (bass),
      Krystian Adam (tenor),
      Wroclaw Philharmonic Chorus, Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini (conductor)
      With John Shea. Includes a concert entitled Parallel Lives, featuring Bach and Handel.

Comment

Yes, I heard this, ds and also thought it a superb performance of a lovely work, one new to me.

Comment

(re: Aci, Galatea e Polifemo )

I’ve just found the libretto with English translation.

Last edited by doversoul1; 06-03-15, 14:47.

Comment

Ennemond Gaultier (1575 –1651)

Saturday 21:
            3:01 am (approx. 01.57)

20 minutes of French lute music. A new name to me. Gaultier was apparently the first composer to write a tombeau.

Comment

Caldara and CPE Bach

Thursday 2 April
              12:34 AM
              Caldara, Antonio
              Morte e sepoltura di Cristo - Oratorio (Part 1)
              Maria Maddalena ..... Maria Grazia Schiavo (soprano), Maria di Giacobbe ..... Monica Piccinini (soprano),Giuseppe d'Arimatea ...... Martina Belli (contralto), Nicodemo ..... Carlo Allemano (tenor), Centurione ...... Ugo Guagliardo (bass), Europa Galante , Fabio Biondi (director/violin)
              Jonathan Swain's selection includes Caldara's oratorio Morte e sepoltura di Cristo.

Sunday 5 April
              1:01 AM
              Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel (1714-1788)
              Die Auferstehung und Himmelfahrt Jesu (Wq.240) (The Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus): Oratorio for 3 solo voices, four-part chorus and orchestra
              Barbara Schlick (soprano), Christoph Prégardien (tenor), Stephen Varcoe (bass), Rheinische Kantorei, Das Kleine Konzert, Hermann Max (director)
              With John Shea. Includes a performance of CPE Bach's Die Auferstehung und Himmelfahrt Jesu

Comment

Music for vihuela: Wednesday 29 April

2:31 AM
                Narvaez, Luys de (fl.1526-1549)
                Los Seys libros del Delphin de musica - excerpts
                Hopkinson Smith (vihuela)
                Including a Verdi gala concert from the Russian National Orchestra and Mikhail Pletnev.

vihuela
                a guitar-shaped string instrument from 15th and 16th century Spain, Portugal
                Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Half an hour of quintessential Spanish late Renaissance music. More interestingly, according to Catriona Young, this is the earliest set of purely instrumental variations.
                Last edited by doversoul1; 03-05-15, 08:16.

Comment

Tonight: 1st May:

3:35 AM
                  Ockeghem, Johannes (c.1410-1497)
                  Missa prolationum
                  The Hilliard Ensemble: David James & Ashley Stafford (altos), Rogers Covey-Crump, John Potter & Mark Padmore (tenors), Gordon Jones (baritone), David Beavan (bass), Paul Hillier (bass/director)

Comment

WEDNESDAY 06 MAY 2015
                    00:30 Through the Night (b05sy417)
                    Proms 2014: Baroque Greek Legends
                    Jonathan Swain presents a concert of baroque music
                    reflecting Greek myths and legends from the 2014 BBC Proms,
                    including Handel, Gluck, Lully and Hasse, performed by
                    Armonia Atenea.

and

1:44 AM
                    Gesualdo, Carlo (c.1560-1613)
                    Tenebrae responses for Good Friday for 6 voices (Omnes amici
                    mei; Velum templi; Vinea mea electa; Tamquam ad latronem;
                    Tenebrae factae sunt; Animam meam dilectam; Tradiderunt me;
                    Caligaverunt oculi mei; Jesum tradidit impius)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      WEDNESDAY 06 MAY 2015
                      00:30 Through the Night (b05sy417)
                      Proms 2014: Baroque Greek Legends
                      Jonathan Swain presents a concert of baroque music
                      reflecting Greek myths and legends from the 2014 BBC Proms,
                      including Handel, Gluck, Lully and Hasse, performed by
                      Armonia Atenea.

and

1:44 AM
                      Gesualdo, Carlo (c.1560-1613)
                      Tenebrae responses for Good Friday for 6 voices (Omnes amici
                      mei; Velum templi; Vinea mea electa; Tamquam ad latronem;
                      Tenebrae factae sunt; Animam meam dilectam; Tradiderunt me;
                      Caligaverunt oculi mei; Jesum tradidit impius)
                      This will fit in nicely with my current Frescobaldi listening at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                        Half an hour of quintessential Spanish late Renaissance / early Baroque (?) music. More interestingly, according to Catriona Young, this is the earliest set of purely instrumental variations.
                        Indeed - some of these Narvaéz pieces have also always been popular with guitarists, especially the lovely Canción del Emperador, and the Diferencias [variations] sobre Guárdame las vacas [Look after my cows], the first allegedly Charles V's favourite and based on Josquin's Mille Regretz, the latter from a poem by court poet Cristobál Castillejo -

Guárdame las vacas carillejo y besarte he.....

Apparently the variation form arose in Spain through the necessity to vary the accompaniment during the singing of sometimes lengthy romanesca epic songs, which in turn led to the development of purely instrumental variations by the likes of Narvaéz and Mudarra. H Smith has also made a fine album of Mudarra's 1546 Tres Libros en cifras para vihuela which I strongly recommend.

I don't listen in the small hours so probably miss a lot!

PS not "Baroque" surely? This is music that if anything looks back to an earlier age.
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-05-15, 13:33. Reason: PS

Comment

Thank you, Richard. I thought you’d be able to tell us (me) more about the music.

P.S. I have deleted Baroque. Tahnk you, too, for pointing out.

Comment

Julian Bream brought the vihuela to a wider audience through his 1985 BBC2 series (still available on DVD) "Guitarra - The Music of Spain". On it he plays instruments mande for him by José Romanillos, who for a while was his resident luthier at his home in Wiltshire. As well as books on the history of the guitar Romanillos has made a DVD on how to build a vihuela

Comment

Monday 4 May

3:06 AM
                              Palestrina, Giovanni Pierluigi da (c.1525-1594)
                              Missa in duplicibus minoribus II for 5 voices
                              Maîtrise de Garçons de Colmar, Ensemble Giles Binchois, Ensemble Cantus Figuratus der Schola Cantorum Basiliensis, Dominique Vellard (director)

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                                Monday 4 May

3:06 AM
                                Palestrina, Giovanni Pierluigi da (c.1525-1594)
                                Missa in duplicibus minoribus II for 5 voices
                                Maîtrise de Garçons de Colmar, Ensemble Giles Binchois, Ensemble Cantus Figuratus der Schola Cantorum Basiliensis, Dominique Vellard (director)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05sy2yw
                                A Mass which is broadcast on TtN with some regularity

Comment

Working...
                                X