Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday 29: Buxtehude from Cafe Zimmermann, and more

This has been a very thin week for early music, so I am greatly looking forward to this:
    Jonathan Swain presents a concert of Buxtehude from Cafe Zimmermann.

with the soprano Núria Rial.

Plus
    3:27 AM
    Zelenka, Jan Dismas (1679-1745)
    Capriccio (ZWV.184) in F major
    Ekkehard Hering & Wolfgang Kube (oboes), Andrew Joy & Rainer Jurkiewicz (horns), Rhoda Patrick (bassoon) Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, Bernhard Forck (director)
    4:50 AM
    Gombert, Nicolas (c.1495-c.1560)
    Benedicto mensae
    BBC Singers, Bo Holten (conductor)
    5:00 AM
    Morley, Thomas (c.1557-1602) & Dowland, John (1563-1626)-"Knights of the Lute"
    Fantasie (Morley); Pavan; Earl of Derby, his Galliard (Dowland)
    Nigel North (lute)
    5:35 AM
    Tartini, Giuseppe (1692-1770)
    Concerto for violin and strings in D minor (D.45) (Allegro assai; Grave; Presto)
    Carlo Parazzoli (violin), I Cameristi Italiani

Presented by Jonathan Swain
    HOORAY!!!

Comment

Art of Fugue on Saturday 24 November

Saturday 24 November

Susan Sharpe presents JS Bach's Art of Fugue in a concert given by the Berlin Academy for Ancient Music.

1:01 AM
      Bach, Johann Sebastian [1685-1750]
      Die Kunst der Fuge (BWV.1080)
      Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin, Michaela Hasselt (organ, harpsichord), Stephan Mai (director)
      Susan Sharpe presents Bach's Art of Fugue played by the Berlin Academy for Ancient Music.

Comment

Lodovico Giustini (12 December 1685 – 7 February 1743) was an Italian composer and keyboard player of the late Baroque and early Classical eras. He was the first known composer ever to write music for the piano. (Wiki)

And what an attractive piece his Suonata in G minor is which was played on TTN today at 03:10. I had never heard of Giustini and certainly didn't know what he was the first known composer to write music for the piano. One lives and learns - oh, the joy!

Just had a look at the score which gives one flat instead of the nowadays more usual two flats for g minor. However, it seems baroque composers did it their way.
        Last edited by Pianorak; 28-11-12, 16:35.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Zelenka: Friday 30 November

Pianorak
          I have probably heard Giustini on the harpsichord. I enjoyed it on the fortepiano just as much. And this work was followed by a fine performance by Concerto Köln.

Zelenka
          I don’t think this substantial work has been broadcast before. Carlos Mena is another fine countertenor. Plus three composers from the 17th century (one sung by Emma Kirkby)
          Nicola Christie presents the first UK broadcast of Jan Zelenka's serenata Il Diamante.

12:32 AM
          Zelenka, Jan Dismas [1679-1745]
          Il Diamante - serenade (ZWV.177)
          Hana Blaziková (soprano, Terra), Marie Fajtová (soprano, Amore), Stanislava Mihalcová (soprano, Giunone), Gabriela Eibenová (soprano, Venere), Carlos Mena (countertenor, Imeneo), Inégal Ensemble, Adam Viktoria (director)

2:10 AM
          Hasse, Johann Adolf (1699-1783)
          Son qual misera Colomba (from 'Cleofide')
          Emma Kirkby (soprano, Cleofide), Capella Coloniensis, William Christie (conductor)

2:16 AM
          Pisendel, Johann (1687-1755)
          Sonata in C minor for 2 oboes
          Michael Niesemann & Alison Gangler (oboes), Musica Antiqua Köln, Reinhard Goebel (conductor)

2:21 AM
          Quantz, Johann Joachim [1697-1773]
          Trio (QV 218) in E flat major
          Nova Stravaganza
          Last edited by doversoul1; 03-12-12, 14:30. Reason: typo

Comment

Christmas treat

Tuesday 25th
            For Christmas morning Jonathan Swain presents a sequence of seasonal choral works performed by the Maitrise de Radio France interspersed with baroque works for Christmas by Zelenka.
            A sequence of 20th century choral and baroque instrumental Christmas works.

Wednesday 26th
            Jonathan Swain presents the 4th Mazovia Goes Baroque Festival from Poland, with music by Strozzi, Telemann, Merula, Frescobaldi, Uccellini and Rameau.
            Jonathan Swain presents music from the fourth Mazovia Goes Baroque Festival from Poland.

Comment

I thought these Zelenka’s works were most enjoyable (apologies for going on about it). Plus RVW, Colin Mathew, Finzi, and Britten performed by Maîtrise de Radio France. (Zelenka is from Prague)
              A sequence of 20th century choral and baroque instrumental Christmas works.

Comment

Sorry, me again, but this is an absolutely delightful concert (26th)
                Jonathan Swain presents music from the fourth Mazovia Goes Baroque Festival from Poland.

Strozzi, Telemann,and Frescobald played on Arpa Doppia (Baroque harp), Uccellini’s violin sonata (I think Jonatahn said this was the first violin sonata written down), La Folias on hackbrett. (Dulcimer). And Satie on the accordion. And more.

Comment

dovers. Thanks so much for drawing attention to the TTN of Christmas morn, and in particular to La Maitrise de Radio France. I was amazed to hear them singing VW, Finzi and Britten. All the performers, kids, adults and director, are French to the core yet do these very English pieces to the manner born. As this is not exactly early music (!) and will be of interest to readers of The Choir forum, I hope you will not mind that I have started a new thread there.

Comment

Not in the least. It did occur to me to post it on the Choir board but I didn’t quite dare (just in case it was just me who thought it was very good).

Comment

Brandenburg concerto from the 2010 Late Night Prom

Thursday 17th 12:31
                      John Shea introduces the first of two concerts from the 2010 BBC Proms from the English Baroque Soloists and John Eliot Gardiner celebrating the music of JS Bach
                      From the 2010 Proms, the English Baroque Soloists celebrate the music of Bach.

If I remember correctly, this concert sounded most peculiar on the radio. I wonder if it was the recording and if it has been corrected/adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                        Thursday 17th 12:31
                        John Shea introduces the first of two concerts from the 2010 BBC Proms from the English Baroque Soloists and John Eliot Gardiner celebrating the music of JS Bach
                        From the 2010 Proms, the English Baroque Soloists celebrate the music of Bach.

If I remember correctly, this concert sounded most peculiar on the radio. I wonder if it was the recording and if it has been corrected/adjusted.
                        Listening now. Rambunctious horns!!

How's the recording? Didn't hear it in 2010...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Machaut’s La Messe de Nostre Dame

Tuesday 22 / 3:02 AM (2.31)
                          John Shea introduces a song recital with soprano Sandrine Piau and pianist Susan Manhoff.

Guillaume de Machaut (c.1300-1377)
                          La Messe de Nostre Dame
                          Jeremy Summerly and Oxford Camerata,

Followed by not quite authentic but enjoyable Renaissance Dances plus a concerto by Count Unico Van Wassenaer (formally attributed to Pergolesi) performed by Andrew Manze and AAM. Plus a Handel aria sung by Matthew White (countertenor).

Comment

Thanks for the link to the Machaut Mass. Sung by the performers in Notre Dame standing over the supposed place of Machaut's burial. Pity we don't hear more of this very early polyphony. One can only guess at the circumstances which gave rise to (and permitted the use in liturgy of) such elaboration of the text. It is quite a challenging sing.

Comment

This week (4-10 March)

Monday
                              Monteverdi's Vespers of 1610, conducted by Sir John Eliot Gardiner at the 2010 BBC Proms.
                              John Shea introduces a performance of Monteverdi's Vespers of 1610 from the 2010 Proms.

Wednesday
                              2 concerts of Handel's music, given by Le Concert Spirituel and their dynamic director Hervé Niquet.
                              Catriona Young introduces two concerts of Handel's music, given by Le Concert Spirituel.

Saturday
                              Vivaldi's Gloria and the 4 Coronation Anthems by Handel - including Zadok the Priest - performed by B'rock and the Swedish Radio Choir, conducted by Peter Dijkstra.
                              Part of Radio 3's Baroque Spring. Vivaldi's Gloria and Four Coronation Anthems by Handel.

Sunday
                              Handel's Rinaldo from the BBC Proms 2011

Plus Daquin, Biber, Manchicourt, and more scattered here and there throughout each programmes.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                                Monday
                                Monteverdi's Vespers of 1610, conducted by Sir John Eliot Gardiner at the 2010 BBC Proms.
                                John Shea introduces a performance of Monteverdi's Vespers of 1610 from the 2010 Proms.

Wednesday
                                2 concerts of Handel's music, given by Le Concert Spirituel and their dynamic director Hervé Niquet.
                                Catriona Young introduces two concerts of Handel's music, given by Le Concert Spirituel.

Saturday
                                Vivaldi's Gloria and the 4 Coronation Anthems by Handel - including Zadok the Priest - performed by B'rock and the Swedish Radio Choir, conducted by Peter Dijkstra.
                                Part of Radio 3's Baroque Spring. Vivaldi's Gloria and Four Coronation Anthems by Handel.

Sunday
                                Handel's Rinaldo from the BBC Proms 2011

Plus Daquin, Biber, Manchicourt, and more scattered here and there throughout each programmes.
                                The Monteverdi Vespers are brilliantly performed (take with 96 minutes a bit longer than average btw).
                                If you like them, don't miss them, still available on iPlayer.
                                The Daquin pieces (also Monday) gives you an impression of the originals of the pieces which Respighi used for his Ancient airs and dances and his Birds.

Comment

Working...
                                X