Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... thanks for this - which irritatingly reminds me I already possess this CD set in its earlier guise (currently in a storage warehouse in Acton... ). Ah well, the newer EMI box has only cost me £8, and I'm sure I can find a use for it...
    ... you're welcome... er... and sorry!

Give it a spin or two (no need to go hunting in Acton) and then, you have an ideal Christmas present for some suitable person!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Lovely 'Trionfo del Tempo &c.' by Handel, with Il Giardino Armonico & Antonini plus Mlles Invernizzi & Mingardo, just started
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Hard to beat this line-up. I am very much looking forward to listening to it, but I don’t think I’ve come across a soprano Piacere. Oh, and two Piaceres?

Roberta Invernizzi (soprano, La Bellezza), Julia Lezhneva (soprano, Piacere), Sara Mingardo (contralto, Piacere), Krystian Adam Krzeszowiak (tenor, Il Tempo), Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini (conductor)

[ed.] I am at the moment listening to Monday’s TTN and hearing Tallis’s Spem in Alium, for 40 voices (1.01 am). If you are going to listen to this programme, I’d skip this bit, unless you don’t mind the first note in wobbly soprano.
        Last edited by doversoul1; 27-08-14, 08:19.

Comment

TTN - Il Tempio Armonico

Last night on TTN
          Jonathan Swain's selection includes Il Pempio Armonico performing Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Il Tempio Armonico [not 'Pempio'!], who I've never heard before, in an outstanding Vivaldi Four Seasons. Allowing for the hour and my insomniac state, I felt at the time of listening that it was the most exciting interpretation I'd heard since Nige's recording came out. ITA added, in different movements, Baroque Harp and Organ continuos; the ensemble seemed small and very energised; the soloist added interesting improvisations at a few junctures. But it was the energy and pzazz of the performance that really grabbed me.

Also a new name to me, two concerti by Dall'Abaco, Evaristo Felice [1675-1742].

Anyone heard of this ensemble before?

Edit: from Presto Classical website:
          Since its foundation in 1999, Il Tempio Armonico, led by Alberto Rasi, aims for authenticity in performance practice and to re-create music's original appeal and vitality. The musicians of the ensemble are enriched by playing with numerous world-renowned groups and soloists including T. Koopman, J. Savall, M. Huggett and G. Carmignola.
          Last edited by kernelbogey; 03-09-14, 09:06.

Comment

I'm afraid I passed this one by, kb, as I find it virtually impossible to listen to the 4 Seasons due to its ubiquity in all sorts of media these days including "holding" music on phones.

I wish these ensembles would go for other Vivaldi concertos, such as the wonderful 'L'estro armonico set, or less-well known concertos by other Baroque composers such as Corrette. The zillionth performance of the 4S, however energised the playing, will still be adding to the overkill of this work, imv.

Comment

Normally I'd agree with your every word, Aeolium. This time, it just came up fresh for me. I hadn't checked the schedule, I was just hoping that Jonathan Swain would sprinkle stardust on my insomnia....

That Dall'Abaco's a good 'un, though!

Comment

Two very enjoyable repeats

Wednesday 1 October (first broadcast Thursday 7th August)
                Arias for soprano by by Cesti
                John Shea presents a concert of arias by Cesti given at the 2013 RheinVokal Festival.

Friday 3 October (f.b. Sunday 11th May)
                Schmelzer, Rossi, Kapsberger, Pandolfi Meallii, Bertali, and Biber.
                With John Shea. Mazovia Goes Baroque 2013: Daniel Sepec (violin) and Lee Santana (theorbo)

This was/is a wonderful concert of the 17th century instrumental music. Definitely worth listening.

Comment

Bach's B Minor Mass Monday 6

BBC Proms 2012: John Shea presents Bach's B Minor Mass, performed by the English Concert, conducted by Harry Bicket
                  John Shea's selection includes Bach's B Minor Mass performed at the 2012 Proms.

Iestyn Davies’s Agnus Dei alone is worth hearing (as well as the rest).

Incidentally, I think the new iPlayer box with the timing marks (?) is a great improvement.

Comment

Zelenka

Tonight on TTN. This looks intriguing. Is anyone knowledgeable about this?

Zelenka, Jan Dismas [1679-1745]

Sub olea pacis et palma virtutis - melodrama de S. Wenceslao ZWV.175 (Under the Olive Tree of Peace and the Palm Tree of Virtue the Crown of Bohemia Splendidly Shines Before the Whole World: Melodrama to Saint Wenceslaus)

Céline Scheen (soprano), Terry Wey (countertenor), Krystian Adam (tenor), Tobias Berndt (bass) Collegium Vocale 1704, Collegium 1704, Vaclav Luks (conductor)
                    1704, Vaclav Luks (conductor)

Comment

If it is melodrama that intrigued you (it did me), here is the forever obliging wiki explaining it.

The composition is a monumental allegorical opus, its character between melodrama, oratorio, stage play and contemporary opera, celebrating the memory of the greatest Czech saint and patron of Bohemia, Saint Wenceslas, one of founders of Czech state, who lived from c. 907 to 935.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Oh I always do!

Thanks ams - but I found this alternative: a listing for a previous CPO manifestation of the set which sets out composers and instrument combinations (also missing from the Warner list ):

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/...n/hnum/7479810
                        Thanks to your recommendations I now have this enjoyable CPO box set.

Comment

Last piece this morning, in case you missed it:

Carolus Luython: Lamentationes Hieremiae Prophetae a 6
                          Huelgas Ensemble
                          Conductor: Paul Van Nevel.

Comment

Handel and Zelenka: Friday 15

French contralto Delphine Galou and Les Ambassadeurs perform music by Handel and Zelenka
                            Includes contralto Delphine Galou and Les Ambassadeurs performing Handel and Zelenka.

Comment

Bach / Philippe Herreweghe :Monday 17th

12:31 AM (shouldn’t it be 00.31am?)

Bach, Johann Sebastian [1685-1750]
                              Cantata BWV 21 'Ich hatte viel Bekümmernis'
                              Hana Blažiková (soprano), Thomas Hobbs (tenor), Peter Kooij (bass) Collegium Vocale Ghent (Orchestra and Choir), Philippe Herreweghe (conductor)
                              1:08 AM
                              Cantata BWV.118 "O Jesu Christ, mein's Lebens Licht"'
                              Collegium Vocale Ghent (Orchestra and Choir), Philippe Herreweghe (conductor)
                              1:17 AM
                              Magnificat in D major (BWV.243)
                              Collegium Vocale Ghent (Orchestra and Choir), Philippe Herreweghe (conductor)

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                                French contralto Delphine Galou and Les Ambassadeurs perform music by Handel and Zelenka
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nqrpv
                                Liked this a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X