CE Choir of Royal Holloway, University of London 15th Feb 2012

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On another note, when I was a chorister at Canterbury in the early 70s, the Tippett canticles which we had in repertoire,
    Oh dear GJ, I did say I wasn't going to post again, but I guess you sang under the excellent Alan Wicks? I did a bit of research (years ago) into the repertory of Anglican Cathedrals...which I thought very dull and backward-looking at the time....and based on the music lists, Canterbury was STREETS ahead of anyone else in the sheer variety and volume of music they tackled. Am I right in thinking that Tippett's excellent Plebs Angelica was written for Canterbury?

Comment

Whilst you're all busily reliving your student days - and what better thing to do on a dull February afternoon - can I just say what an enjoyable CE this was, having just heard the Sunday repeat.

Atmospheric, contemplative, very well sung and a great credit to Rupert Gough. All those years with MA have certainly paid off.
      Thank you, Royal Holloway, for a refreshingly different and very moving service. Well done.

Comment

just to go back a post or two, when I was singing we performed " and Death shall have no dominion" by Elizabeth Maconchy. Does this kind of thing get an outing much these days?

And does anybody know of a recording of it ?!
        (sorry if its off topic).
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Oh dear GJ, I did say I wasn't going to post again, but I guess you sang under the excellent Alan Wicks? I did a bit of research (years ago) into the repertory of Anglican Cathedrals...which I thought very dull and backward-looking at the time....and based on the music lists, Canterbury was STREETS ahead of anyone else in the sheer variety and volume of music they tackled. Am I right in thinking that Tippett's excellent Plebs Angelica was written for Canterbury?
          I did, and he was an extraordinary musician, as you know. I'm glad you say that about the Canterbury music lists at that time, because that's what I've alwyas felt. Allan gave one of the earliest (if not the first) British performances of the Starvinsky Canticum Sacrum in Manchester in the 1950s, and was the first British organist to play Messiaen as well.

Yes, Plebs angelica was written for Canterbury, in the 1940s I think. The choir recorded it in my time - I wonder if that was the first recording...probably not...

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            just to go back a post or two, when I was singing we performed " and Death shall have no dominion" by Elizabeth Maconchy. Does this kind of thing get an outing much these days?

And does anybody know of a recording of it ?!
            (sorry if its off topic).
            There is a recording of Maconchy choral music by the BBC Singers and Odaline de la Martinez but I've just checked and that's not on it (it's mostly secualr pieces). Elizabeth Maconchy was a good composer!

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel Jackson View Post
              Elizabeth Maconchy was a good composer!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                too right. I recently bought the complete quartets...............fab stuff.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  too right. I recently bought the complete quartets...............fab stuff.
                  I can only refer to my previous comment!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

PHP Code:
                    Whilst you're all busily reliving your student days - and what better thing to do on a dull February afternoon - can I just say what an enjoyable CE this was, having just heard the Sunday repeat.

Atmospheric, contemplative, very well sung and a great credit to Rupert Gough. All those years with MA have certainly paid off.
                    Thank you, Royal Holloway, for a refreshingly different and very moving service. Well done. 

Bach736, I have just listened for the first time too, and likewise I was much impressed by the choir, its direction, and the sustained, measured and solemn atmosphere created in that generous acoustic. I have just looked back at some earlier posts which were just the teeniest bit grudging about them. I'd just like to add my congratulations. Whilst you will have gathered that I have a lowish tolerance of wall-to-wall post-minimalism, this CE was obviously constructed on an Estonian-ish theme, so one has to respect that fact and acknowledge that they did it very well. Clucas was a strange bed-fellow, and sung more slowly and with less eclat than usual, presumably to blend in with the rest.

Comment

Does anybody know where I can find the tune Cypress Court which was sung to Father hear the prayer we offer please? I understand it's a tune composed by Barry Ferguson.

Comment

PHP Code:
                        Whilst you're all busily reliving your student days - and what better thing to do on a dull February afternoon - can I just say what an enjoyable CE this was, having just heard the Sunday repeat.

Atmospheric, contemplative, very well sung and a great credit to Rupert Gough. All those years with MA have certainly paid off.
                        Thank you, Royal Holloway, for a refreshingly different and very moving service. Well done. 

Bach736, I have just listened for the first time too, and likewise I was much impressed by the choir, its direction, and the sustained, measured and solemn atmosphere created in that generous acoustic. I have just looked back at some earlier posts which were just the teeniest bit grudging about them. I'd just like to add my congratulations. Whilst you will have gathered that I have a lowish tolerance of wall-to-wall post-minimalism, this CE was obviously constructed on an Estonian-ish theme, so one has to respect that fact and acknowledge that they did it very well. Clucas was a strange bed-fellow, and sung more slowly and with less eclat than usual, presumably to blend in with the rest.
                        Estonian-ish?...Miskinis is Lithuanian and Bo Hanssen is Swedish, though!

Comment

Well, I did say "-ish" !

Comment

Well, I did say "-ish" !
                            Not sure the Estonians I had lunch with today would like that idea!

Comment

Originally posted by GambleD View Post
                              Does anybody know where I can find the tune Cypress Court which was sung to Father hear the prayer we offer please? I understand it's a tune composed by Barry Ferguson.
                              It's no.237 in Sing Glory (Mayhew) with the descant as well. Written by BF in 1987, I believe. Rather good.

Comment

Thanks for that - will investigate. Think it's rather good too...very lenten feel.

Comment

Working...
                                X