Pierre de la Roche

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pierre de la Roche

Have we ever tackled the identity of the mystery conductor of Vanguard's Songs of the Auvergne recordings?

Other web searches seem to have ruled-out Pierre Monteux and I can't imagine him in his late 80s learning all the songs.

Any other knowledge (ideally) or theories. The (Viennese?) orchestral musicians must have known....

I had no idea that Pierre de la Roche was a pseudonym, though the unnamed orchestra had puzzled me. What I remember about the original Vanguard LPs is that they were labelled 'Songs of the Auvergine' on the spine. More than thirty years later I still imagine aubergines sizzling in the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
      Other web searches seem to have ruled-out Pierre Monteux
      But 'De la Roche' presumably suggesting Peter/Pierre/Pietro/Pyotr Someone?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        But 'De la Roche' presumably suggesting Peter/Pierre/Pietro/Pyotr Someone?
        But not Peter Mountain!

Comment

Crossword enthusiasts and followers of the Alphabetical Associations Thread will have no problem with this: de la Roche ("of the rock") is a reference to "Rock and Roll", so it must be "Peter Roll" or Pierre Boulez. Simples!

(Strictly speaking, of course, "Pierre Boulez" translates into "Rolling Stone", but they were far too young at the time to merit serious consideration. )
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
          X