Peel honoured at the BBC?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

......because of his love of the TT, I thought they'd already named a city on the IOM after him.

I would also say that at the time of JP's untimely death, he was already moving from National Treasure to deification - that may not have been an opinion held by the 'powers that be' in R1, but it was happening out there in the real world. JP stood for something which many of us feel doesn't exist enough in the BBC anymore - an independent spirit. So whether you liked the music he played or not - and I'm pretty sure he didn't like a lot of it (and I'm pretty sure more people said they liked it than ever listened to it) - he represents that place out on the edge where we all like to stand, or at least dip our toe in, sometimes.

He was certainly extremely influential and I'm sure one of the reasons that AK gets so worked up is that he is one of the people he would consider a major influence, and certainly in his book some of the best bits are with Peel and Walters. Andy certainly believed that if it hadn't been for Walters, Peel would have been long gone before he ever attained National Treasure status, because management wanted rid of the old geezer but Walters walked over the top of them.

So as long as it's the JP stand-alone Wing with the Walter's corridor, that might work OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
      is this Peel extension on the site of the old car showroom which in 50's and 60's was BBC designs dept ? (for those oldies this was the techie dept that did immediate development rather than the longer term stuff done by research away from the fray at Kingswood Warren
      It's the bit built on the site of Egton House, which is where R1 broadcast from until 1996, on the right of the picture:

This was demoloished to make way for the new wing:

Peel Wing on the right.
      Last edited by french frank; 04-03-12, 10:14.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

John,

John Walters ( one of the funniest people I've ever heard ) was vitally important to JP but far more so, imo, to AK. Things started to go pieces after the great man's enforced retirement by a foolish bbc.
        Those disciplined but creative reins he held were vital broadcast tools.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I thought so
          May I suggest the flappy things on the sides of your head to be used occasionally ?
          Congratulations, MrG. The first person (on any forum) to go on my ignore list. (I'd wager I'm not the only person on here ignoring you )
          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
            John,

John Walters ( one of the funniest people I've ever heard ) was vitally important to JP but far more so, imo, to AK. Things started to go pieces after the great man's enforced retirement by a foolish bbc.
            He also played trumpet, notably in the excellent Alan Price Set.

Comment

Indeed he did. Saw him play. Went along along with a dutiful AK to watch him performing with a bunch of his mates, one lunchtime down at the 100 Club.

( And in the 70s, that Alan Price sometimes used to show up for a drink at my then local, The House at Home, Hartshill, Stoke on Trent )

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                Congratulations, MrG. The first person (on any forum) to go on my ignore list. (I'd wager I'm not the only person on here ignoring you )
                Welcome back Simon we've missed you

Comment

Parry is that naughty boy in the short trousers ?

Comment

' The Angela Rippon Bathroom Mirror ' for example.
                    ......the DLTBLT?

Comment

John,

Paul, I don't know why nobody has ever written a book about him - so many great stories - makes me wonder what he would have done with 'Home Truths' - it would have been totally wild. Here he is doing one of his weekly reports with a spot of Ivor, some Noddy and a few nods to 'fatface' Peel!
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Now what would the John Walters Corridor be like? - lots of cul-de-sacs and detours and strange encounters, I imagine - probably take you ages to get to the JP Wing.

Comment

John Walters, corridor would be a hybrid of a hall of mirrors and a Blackpool B&B

Comment

John Walters, corridor would be a hybrid of a hall of mirrors and a Blackpool B&B
                          Like Maida Vale you mean ?

Comment

The former skating rink ?
                            Yes !

Comment

And here's a sequence of photos showing the BBC TV Centre under construction from 1951-1960

http://www.retronaut.co/2012/01/cons...tre-1951-1960/

Comment

I tell you something, Global, seeing those giant cucumber slices on the roof puts a different complexion on things.

Comment

Working...
                                X