X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    suspect many others loved it ... for twelve days r3 became their station of choice! guaranteed a Melodic Mozart
    I wonder what the listening figures will be - presumably RW was hoping that it would attract new listeners? Would they be enough to counteract those who didn't tune into Radio 3 at all for the 12 days? Or will there be an over-all drop in figures?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by sigolene euphemia View Post
      My daughter would love Wagner, certainly.
      But would you trust your daughter with a man wearing that hat?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        As long as he leaves Cosima at home.
        Sorry, this will be off-topic, but I would be more inclined to listen to a Wagner Fest than a Mozart Fest. I have the Cosima Diaries awaiting to be read. I somehow do not think I will like them.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Anna, where did you get the Diaries from? I had a look on Amazon, & they were only available second-hand (or pre-owned as some would have it, & I've even seen 'pre-loved' - yeuk!). For some reason Vol 2 was less than £10, & vol 1 something like £30!

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            But would you trust your daughter with a man wearing that hat?
            Or even that underwear?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              Anna, where did you get the Diaries from? I had a look on Amazon, & they were only available second-hand (or pre-owned as some would have it, & I've even seen 'pre-loved' - yeuk!). For some reason Vol 2 was less than £10, & vol 1 something like £30!
              Hello Flosshilde. I got it from AbeBooks, OK, secondhand, but pristine condition, for £4.60 inc p&p. It is the abridged edition by Geoffrey Skelton. At 516 pages it's just as well it's abridged! Probably not what you are looking for if you want the full works. My friend Will dropped round a copy of Wagner's overtures. "Here you go, my lovely, listen to these and you won't want to bother with all those dwarfs and their futile search for gold and incest and other unnatural stuff" Well, what could I say?

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                It is the abridged edition by Geoffrey Skelton.
                Anna - Would you mind awfully checking if Edouard Schuré is listed in the index. Many thanks.
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                  Anna - Would you mind awfully checking if Edouard Schuré is listed in the index. Many thanks.
                  He is indeed pages 185-86 on the index and glancing at the pages, not much in very detail except as I briefly glance through it, him asking for a wine from Bordeaux and then some other stuff about Cosima thinking he was defenceless and embarassed for him. I could scan and send you the pages if you wanted? PM if you want that
                  Last edited by Guest; 14-01-11, 20:55.

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

I could scan and send you the pages if you wanted?
                    No need, Anna. He's listed in the complete Diaries. Just wanted to know whether he "survived" into the abridged edition which I didn't know existed until you mentioned it. Many thanks.
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Hello Flosshilde. I got it from AbeBooks, OK, secondhand, but pristine condition, for £4.60 inc p&p. It is the abridged edition by Geoffrey Skelton. At 516 pages it's just as well it's abridged! Probably not what you are looking for if you want the full works. My friend Will dropped round a copy of Wagner's overtures. "Here you go, my lovely, listen to these and you won't want to bother with all those dwarfs and their futile search for gold and incest and other unnatural stuff" Well, what could I say?
                      Thanks Anna, I'll look into it. The abridged is probably enough!

"you won't want to bother with all those dwarfs and their futile search for gold and incest and other unnatural stuff" Goodness, doesn't leave much, does it?

Comment

• Mandryka

Sorry, this will be off-topic, but I would be more inclined to listen to a Wagner Fest than a Mozart Fest. I have the Cosima Diaries awaiting to be read. I somehow do not think I will like them.
                        Although I love Wagner and find him a source of continuous fascination, I find the Diaries heavy going and not compulsively readable. Cosima does come across as rather priggish at times, but you do get the sense that it was a truly loving relationship.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                          Although I love Wagner and find him a source of continuous fascination, I find the Diaries heavy going and not compulsively readable. Cosima does come across as rather priggish at times, but you do get the sense that it was a truly loving relationship.
                          That's interesting, that she is a prig
                          Last edited by Guest; 15-01-11, 00:30.

Comment

• Mandryka

That's interesting, that she is a prig
                            I don't like the bit, in 1870, I think, where she inisist that her children set loose their caged birds. This makes the children miserable and one of the birds is clearly reluctant to leave the cage - and when it does, it's promptly pounced on by the family dog and killed.

I think I would have found the 'birds don't belong in cages' brigade irritating no matter what age I'd happened to live in.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                              This is a straightforward example how to cut costs.
                              At least I know that I don't have to check R3 for programs to listen to .:cool2:
                              They also saved costs when putting images for the Showcased clips - see for example - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00d7ynq

Didn't anyone bother to check that the work in question usually has at most one string instrument - a double bass, and sometimes none at all?

Comment

Working...
                              X