Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 31.03.12 - Schubert's String Quartet No 14 "Death and the Maiden"

9.30 Building a Library: Misha Donat with a personal recommendation from recordings of Schubert's String Quartet No 14 in D minor, D 810 "and the Maiden"

Available versions:

Alban Berg Quartett
    Alcan String Quartet
    Allegri Quartet
    Amadeus Quartet – 2 versions (one nla)
    Amadeus Quartet – 2 further versions
    Asasello Quartet
    Belcea Quartet
    Borodin Quartet
    Brandis Quartet
    Budapest Quartet
    Busch Quartet
    Capet String Quartet
    Chilingirian Quartet
    Emerson String Quartet
    Endellion String Quartet
    Ensemble Oxalys, Muziektheater Transparant
    Guarneri Quartet
    Hagen Quartet (DVD)
    Hollywood String Quartet
    Hungarian String Quartet – 2 versions
    Jerusalem Quartet
    Juilliard String Quartet
    Keller Quartet
    Kodaly Quartet
    Kolisch Quartet
    Leipziger Streichquartett
    The Lindsays
    Mandelring Quartet
    Melos Quartett
    New Hungarian Quartet
    Petersen Quartett
    Quartetto Italiano
    Quatuor Terpsycordes
    Takács Quartet
    Tokyo String Quartet
    Verdi Quartett
    Voce Quartet
    Wronski String Quartet
    Yggdrasil Quartet

Orchestral transcriptions by Mahler and others:

Philharmonisches Staatsorchester Hamburg, Gerd Albrecht
    Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra, Marco Boni
    Norwegian Chamber Orchestra, Iona Brown
    Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, JoAnn Falletta
    Chamber Orchestra 'Carl Philipp Emmanuel Bach, Hartmut Haenchen
    Kiev Chamber Orchestra, Roman Kofman
    The Goldberg Ensemble, Malcolm Layfield
    Nieuw Sinfonietta Amsterdam, Lev Markiz
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Charles Rosekrans
    Moscow Virtuosi, Vladimir Spivakov
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-02-15, 20:32.

Shame that the VPO Quartet recording that was coupled on Ovation with Curzon's Trout is nla.

Comment

It'll be nice to hear a bit of Schubert for a change.

Comment

As I mentioned on the Testament thread, I think the Juilliard recording on that label is unsurpassed of the versions I have heard. (I am somewhat alarmed to find that, between LPs and CDs, I had twenty seven recordings of the work when I stopped updating my catalogue about fifteen years ago. I doubt I have added many since, though.)

This is the first Juilliard version, with Robert Mann, Isidore Cohen, Raphael Hillyer and Claus Adam, which was originally on an RCA LP, not their later version on a Sony CD, by which time the players were Robert Mann, Earl Carlyss, Samuel Rhodes and Joel Krosnick.

I see that on Amazon someone is asking £100 for a copy of that LP, which presumably means there is some consensus in favour of the performance, though not necessarily to that degree, I would have thought.

Comment

Odd fact!

You know how you hear - and buy discs of - titled works loads more than their untitled companions?

Well, in the case of Schubert 4tets that doesn't quite work: D804 and D887 I've heard live five times each but Death in the Midden only once!

In my disc collection the G major is well ahead of the other two, probably because I love it the most and am still looking for the ideal performance. At the moment I think the Alban Bergs do it best.
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

My favourite recording of the 'Death and the Maiden Quartet', played by Quatuor Mosaïques, was issued in 2010 and neither MDT nor Presto now seem to list it. Amazon have it, though (Explicit Lyrics - well in a way!).

Incomparably vivid performance (IMO).

Comment

I seem to have the 1950s Amadeus and the Kellers.
              Time for something new?

Comment

Gosh don't the Busches sound wonderful. And the recording outstanding for its time.

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                  Gosh don't the Busches sound wonderful. And the recording outstanding for its time.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

The Lindsays every time for me. Grandeur, exquisite playing, and gutsy drive.

Comment

A bizarre choice, and a somewhat careless BaL, with a lot of telling and not enough showing. He used 'sentimental' throughout as a dirty word, when sentiment is exactly what is needed in playing Schubert. Given how scrappy that Amadeus recording is, I thought it betrayed a degree of false sentiment on MD's part to choose it. Didn't the Belceas sound terrific?

Comment

Originally posted by euthynicus View Post
                        A bizarre choice, and a somewhat careless BaL, with a lot of telling and not enough showing. He used 'sentimental' throughout as a dirty word, when sentiment is exactly what is needed in playing Schubert. Given how scrappy that Amadeus recording is, I thought it betrayed a degree of false sentiment on MD's part to choose it. Didn't the Belceas sound terrific?
                        The Amadeus - about the last I would choose ! Probably the most overrated quartet in history .

Comment

ON what we heard, and their recent R3 concerts. the Belcea sound athletic, intelligent and smack on their game. Agreed.

And MD's choices were maybe just a bit predictable and 'safe pair of hands choices that won't get me into trouble'?

But The Lindsays have the kind of guts I like in my Schubert.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            The Amadeus - about the last I would choose ! Probably the most overrated quartet in history .
                            Alas, my experiences of hearing them live and on record is the same as yours...I never really "got" the Amadeus.

I love the Belcea performance - apart from one or two vintage versions (notably the original Juilliard record) and the Mosaiques for a terrific HIP view, it's probably my favourite.

Comment

How did the Quartetto Italiano get on ? Were they even mentioned ?

Comment

Working...
                              X