Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During the last Liverpool Biennial I took a visiting friend to Liverpool Cathedral. We found the whole of the nave (or Central Space as I think they call it) filled with tables set for dinner, which at first I assumed were of the nature of a work of art, but no - talking to a member of the clergy after evensong (which had been moved to the Lady Chapel), we learned that hiring out the building for dinners is part of Liverpool's attempt to keep entrance to the Cathedral free.

The building may not be medieval, but it is very large indeed, and extremely expensive to heat. The Renaissance Music Group, which has given concerts in the Lady Chapel for as long as anyone can remember, has been told recently that the donation we've always made from concert proceeds will now be a charge, and it will probably be at a level we'll find it difficult to meet.

The Metropolitan Cathedral is fortunate in that the whole of the enormous Lutyens crypt exists underneath it to be made money out of. There have been University exams in it, and CAMRA has held a beer festival there, for years. Still, the Cathedral Concerts Society were alarmed to be told recently that we could no longer assume that we could have concerts in the area known as the Concert Room, as they might want to let that out as well - though I think they've relented a bit on that.
    Last edited by jean; 08-04-12, 09:11.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Of Course hospitals should be free...
      And the people who haven't got cars but have to pay for buses and taxis to get there should have those paid for, too?

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
        And the people who haven't go cars but have to pay for buses and taxis should have those paid for, too?
        I've always had to pay for "Go Cars" but sometimes they let me ride on the carousel for free at the end of the day !

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
          The Metropolital Cathedral .
          ... I never knew Bristol had such a thing

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            how naive I was. at Durham they ask people to donate £5 but on average receive 32p per visitor
            BBC research finds those responsible for running more than 20 of England's cathedrals are worried about their ability to meet their running costs in two years' time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17434130
            This makes me think I should probably do the decent thing and send them a cheque as a retrospective gesture for all the times I failed to contribute anything years ago as an impecunious student.

Comment

The Metropolitan Cathedral
              Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... I never knew Bristol had such a thing
              It used to be known as the "Cathedral Polytechnic".
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I know that some years ago Durham prided itself on never having had a big fund-raising appeal for the Cathedral; it was said that the loyalty of the local population to the building was enough to keep sufficient money coming in. Another thing I like about Durham is that the building is open well into the evening and you can just wander in. I think this may be because there is some sort of public right of way, but it is a nice contrast to the places where you are booted out straight after evensong.
                (I can also recall the days - surprisingly recently - when Durham Cathedral had nowhere you could light a votive candle. These are clearly over, because on my last visit there were two huge pricket stands full of them. Can anyone fill in on that particular controversy?)
                Last edited by mopsus; 13-04-12, 12:11. Reason: typo correction

Comment

Working...
                X