Organ Concert at Winchester Cathedral - Mon 7 May 2012

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organ Concert at Winchester Cathedral - Mon 7 May 2012

Also placed on the Diary / Calendar page.

Organ recital

David Hill makes a welcome return to Winchester to perform a wonderfully diverse programme. Don’t miss out!

Programme:

Schumann Fugue no 1 on B.A.C.H.
    JS Bach Trio in C minor BWV 585
    JS Bach Ricercare à 6 (from the Musical Offering)
    Grace Resurgam
    Ireland Menuetto – Impromtu – Villanella
    Greig Wedding Day at Troldhaugen
    Franck Choral no 2 in B minor
    Lefebure-Wely Offertoire – Verset – Sortie

Tickets: £10 available online from the Cathedral Box Office or by phone on 01962 857275

Concert

7 May
    4:00pm
    Add event to calendar

Book tickets

Something for everyone there!

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Something for everyone there!
      Good way to spend a Bank holiday afternoon! Richard's will be good this coming Monday too. Then we revert to a couple of Tuesday ones with Andy and Simon and also one from Robert Quinney on Aug Bank Hol. Will post those too. Now we have the camera and big screen, it makes a huge difference.

Comment

Now we have the camera and big screen
        Yes, this trend is certainly good for audiences. Fortunately I hardly ever play in public these days, but if I did, the console camera would scare me to death! For a start, I play with socks only and there are sure to be holes; and what about that urge to scratch or to mouth foul oaths at an occasional bloop? Anyway, I'm sure your team at Winchester are all used to rising above these considerations. Hope the recitals go well and are well-attended.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Yes, this trend is certainly good for audiences. Fortunately I hardly ever play in public these days, but if I did, the console camera would scare me to death! For a start, I play with socks only and there are sure to be holes; and what about that urge to scratch or to mouth foul oaths at an occasional bloop? Anyway, I'm sure your team at Winchester are all used to rising above these considerations. Hope the recitals go well and are well-attended.
          Hahaha! The lads all wear their best and polish their shoes. Richard played a piece of Bovet yesterday that I didn't know and set the audience the test of coming up with what the recurring intervals were. Even a lot of the Organists didn't get the last one right, even WITH the screen!

Since we made some of the concerts Bank Holiday afternoon ones, instead of all Tuesday nights, it seems to have helped increase numbers and the screen has certainly gone well. Passing tourists certainly are coming in now... Good decision from the team.

All the best. Liz

Comment

Just a quick reminder for you to organise your diaries for NEXT Monday! Should be much fun....

All the very best.
            Liz

Comment

Polish their organ shoes? Good grief, what is the world coming to? No organ loft is complete without a couple of pairs of disgusting-looking shoes tossed casually in a corner.

I am glad to see Dr Hill will be playing music on the organ rather than putting it through its paces.

Comment

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
                Polish their organ shoes? Good grief, what is the world coming to? No organ loft is complete without a couple of pairs of disgusting-looking shoes tossed casually in a corner.

I am glad to see Dr Hill will be playing music on the organ rather than putting it through its paces.
                I've never been invited to the Winch loft so, I can't be sure WHAT'S lurking in the corners! :-) Possibly someone's half eaten cheese sarnie... !

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
                  I've never been invited to the Winch loft so, I can't be sure WHAT'S lurking in the corners! :-) Possibly someone's half eaten cheese sarnie... !
                  Well! I can now utterly confidently report that there are NO cheese sarnies - mouldy, half-eaten or otherwise! - lurking in the Winchester Cathedral organ loft! Indeed, it was pristine and with some very classy blue staircarpet on the approaches! I felt genuinely honoured to be invited up on high, prior to David Hills' excellent recital this afternoon. Thank you Andy and Simon for the invitation to YOUR world and thanks as ever, for all the great musical joy you give to myself and so many, week in and week out. You and all our singers are very special people. Best. Lizzie

Comment

Working...
                  X