Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bridge - we shall cross in April

I've liked some of the TV drama writing by Tony Garnett, e.g. the series of The Cops and Attachments, and also Tony Marchant, especially his late 90s series Moving On. Jimmy McGovern's series The Street were also good, imo. But these are going back a few years and I agree that British TV drama is in the doldrums at present.

Here is a sceptical view about Scandinavian TV drama. I think the article makes some fair points, though I don't entirely agree with it.

thanks for that aeolium some points mebbe [dialogue in foreign etc] but actually the acting and writing are really good and they are visually stunning in the Scandi programmes.... and HBO has been beating us hollow for years Sopranos, Wire, Six Feet etc ...

i find myself drawn to Silent Witness as a brooding chiller and there was Waking The Dead and Spooks but these are all formula shows ....
    ébloui par l'obscurité

Mahlerei Guest

Did anyone see teh prog on BBC4 about the international success of these Danish series? Apparently Borgen is doing well in Brazil, has a cult following in Canada and has taken South Korea by storm. And the producers thought it wouldn't travel beyond Scandinavia...

Quote Originally Posted by Mahlerei View Post
    Did anyone see teh prog on BBC4 about the international success of these Danish series? Apparently Borgen is doing well in Brazil, has a cult following in Canada and has taken South Korea by storm. And the producers thought it wouldn't travel beyond Scandinavia...
    This one I guess:

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban View Post

I'm hooked as well, anton - and for all sufferers, this doc aired in the early hours and produced by BBC News will be of interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...et_of_Success/
    "There is not much to see here," said I.
    "Nor to hear, miss," returned Mr Vholes. "A little music does occasionally stray in; but we are not musical in the law, and soon eject it."

Bleak House, Chapter 60

Mahlerei Guest

Yes, that's the one. Should have looked back at earlier posts

Quote Originally Posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    i find myself drawn to Silent Witness as a brooding chiller and there was Waking The Dead and Spooks but these are all formula shows ....

Silent Witness is becoming self-parodistic: ooh, look! Leo's got out of his car on a deserted road in the middle of the night again! Which of the three main characters is going to have a disasterous affair this week? etc. But I do enjoy it! (The thing is, William Macnamara is doing that kind of acting that actors do when their character is later revealed to have a brain tumour! What do you reckon?)

Quote Originally Posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    i find myself drawn to Silent Witness as a brooding chiller
    So do I.... but...

Quote Originally Posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Silent Witness is becoming self-parodistic: ooh, look! Leo's got out of his car on a deserted road in the middle of the night again! Which of the three main characters is going to have a disasterous affair this week? etc. But I do enjoy it! (The thing is, William Macnamara is doing that kind of acting that actors do when their character is later revealed to have a brain tumour! What do you reckon?)
    I agree... it's all too angst-ridden and over-stylised.

One series which I think has settled in very well is the ITV Sunday evening "Vera". The first run was a little dour and dull, but I think that the two so far in the second season have been really very well done indeed. I stuck with it because Brenda Blethyn is one of my favourite actresses - and the writing and particularly the photography has improved I think. Intense but not over-wrought plots, and lots of wonderful north-eastern seascapes, and bleak urban landscapes, beautifully shot. And Blethyn has grown into the character. Worth a look
    "Nor to hear, miss," returned Mr Vholes. "A little music does occasionally stray in; but we are not musical in the law, and soon eject it."

Bleak House, Chapter 60

So do I.... but...

I agree... it's all too angst-ridden and over-stylised.

One series which I think has settled in very well is the ITV Sunday evening "Vera". The first run was a little dour and dull, but I think that the two so far in the second season have been really very well done indeed. I stuck with it because Brenda Blethyn is one of my favourite actresses - and the writing and particularly the photography has improved I think. Intense but not over-wrought plots, and lots of wonderful north-eastern seascapes, and bleak urban landscapes, beautifully shot. And Blethyn has grown into the character. Worth a look
    Glad to read this Caliban - is an in-depth knowledge of series 1 essential to the enjoyment of series 2?

Quote Originally Posted by amateur51 View Post
    Glad to read this Caliban - is an in-depth knowledge of series 1 essential to the enjoyment of series 2?

Not in the least.

Try last night's on the ITV Player, ammy. http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=315551 Would be interested to know how you find it

Bleak House, Chapter 60

Not in the least.

Try last night's on the ITV Player, ammy. http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=315551 Would be interested to know how you find it
    Cheers Caliban - I watched the first one & enjoyed it but somehow forgot about it. Once I'm up-to-speed with The Bridge I'll give Vera a go for sure Oooops smiling too easily again - Saga & Mr Pee would be flummoxed!