Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roger Judd View Post
    I'm reminded of two 'notorious' broadcasts from St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle in October 1965. Choral Evensong then was only allowed 45 minutes air time, but Sidney Campbell managed to whip the choir through 'the business', including the penetential rite at the beginning of the service, in around 30 minutes, so that an entire voluntary could be aired, unusual, if not unique in those days. Harrison & Harrison had only recently finished their wonderful new instrument in the chapel, and a Praeludium in D minor by Buxtehude was played at one service, and the Toccata (from the Suite) by Duruflé at the other. The Psalms especially went at one hell of a lick to facilitate this! The Duruflé, by the way, was played by the brilliant young organ scholar at that time, who later came back to St G's as assistant organist, and my predecessor, John Porter.
    What a wonderful story! Are you sure that it was the Duruflé though? If it was the Buxtehude at the first service, then the second must have been the Final from Vierne's Symphonie no.1 because Campbell once played me a tape of it, saying specifically that it was JP playing it after a broadcast Choral Evensong. And what a jaw-dropping performance it was, too. But maybe the Vierne was from a third broadcast.
    Last edited by Vox Humana; 27-12-12, 22:16.

Comment

Yes, it was the Duruflé - I heard it at the time, and I also have a CD transfer of a tape, made at the time, which is dated. The broadcast was dubbed 'The Express Service'!

John Porter was an extremely fine player, as indeed was Sidney Campbell. The latter made a quite brilliant LP of French repertoire on the then new Windsor organ, and it has reappeared on a Priory 2 disc set called 'the Ryemuse Collection' - recordings that date from the 1960s. Even Priory's technical expertise cannot iron out some of the period shortcomings in recording technique, but the performances quite easily override failings in that department.
      RJ

Comment

Thank you, Roger. Now I am wondering whether it is my memory which is at fault - which, at this distance in time, is more than possible!

I have "The Ryemuse Collection" and, indeed, a copy of Dr Campbell's original LP (now much the worse for wear). His interpretations are masterly indeed. He told me that he had the microphones placed at some distance from the organ in order "to pick up the chapel acoustic". I assume that is why there is less clarity to the sound than one might have expected. I have an LP of John Porter's on which he plays music by Harris, Campbell and others. The playing is scintillating and his interpretations of Campbell's pieces are exactly as he would have played them himself.

Comment

Working...
        X