Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 28.04.12 Vivaldi's Operas

9.30 Building a Library: David Vickers surveys the recordings of the operas of Vivaldi and makes a personal recommendation.

Available recordings:

Argippo
    Baroque Ensemble : Hofmusici (on period instruments), Ondrej Macek

Armida al campo d’Egitto
    Concerto Italiano, Rinaldo Alessandrini

Arsilda, regina di Ponto
    Modo Antiquo & Coro da Camera Italiano, Federico Maria Sardelli

Bajazet
    Europa Galante, Fabio Biondi

Farnace
    Le Concert Des Nations & Coro del Teatro de la Zarzuela, Jordi Savall (director)
    I Barocchisti, Diego Fasolis

Griselda
    Opera in Concert & Aradia Ensemble, Kevin Mallon
    Ensemble Matheus, Jean-Christophe Spinosi

Il Teuzzone
    Le Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall
    Orchestra dell‘Opera Barocca di Guastalla, Sandro Volta

Juditha Triumphans (highlights)
    Academia Montis Regalis, Alessandro de Marchi

L’Olimpiade

Sara Mingardo (Licida); Roberta Invernizzi (Megacle); Sonia Prina (Aristea); Marianna Kulikova (Argene); Laura Giordano (Aminta); Riccardo Novaro (Clistene); Sergio Foresti (Alcantro); Concerto Italiano; Rinaldo Alessandrini (conductor)
    Venice Baroque Orchestra, Markellos Chryssicos
    Budapest Madrigal Choir, Hungarian State Orchestra, Ferenc Szekeres (highlights)

La verità in cimento
    Ensemble Matheus, Jean-Christophe Spinosi

Motezuma
    Il Complesso Barocco, Alan Curtis

Orlando finto pazzo
    Coro del Teatro Regio di Torino, Academia Montis Regalis, Alessandro de Marchi

Orlando furioso
    Ensemble Matheus & Choeur du Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, Jean-Christophe Spinosi
    Coro Amici della Polifonia & I solisti Veneti, Claudio Scimone
    Orchestra & Chorus of San Francisco Opera, Randall Behr, stage direction by Pier Luigi Pizzi (DVD)
    Coro da Camera Italiano & Modo Antiquo, Federico Maria Sardelli
    Choeur Les Eléments & Ensemble Matheus, Jean-Christophe Spinosi

Ottone in villa
    Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini
    L’Arte dell’Arco (on period instruments), Frederico Guglielmo
    Collegium Musicum 90, Richard Hickox
    Ensemble Seicentonovecento, Flavio Colusso

Tito Manlio
    Accademia Bizantina, Ottavio Dantone
    Modo Antiquo, Federico Maria Sardell
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-02-15, 18:55.

Oh, good!

Comment

Originally posted by reinerfan View Post
      Oh, good!
      I know - it's outrageous, the BBC pretending there's any music other than that written in the nineteenth / early twentieth century. Political correctness gone mad.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/ll/...tion/mediumAll lists the Naïve Edition so far, so easy enough to pick out the operas (Juditha Triumphans is a sacred work of quite dazzling invention and beauty).

Two other recordings of Ottone in Villa

Maria Laura Martorana, Tuva Semmingsen, Florin Cezar Ouatu, Luca Dordolo, Marina Bartoli: Brilliant Classics.
      Nancy Argenta, Sophie Daneman, Susan Gritton, Monica Goop, Mark Padmore, Collegium 90 / Richard Hickox: Chandos Chaconne.

Argippo. Veronika Mrackova Fucikova, Pavla Stepnickova. Hofmusici Baroque Ensemble / Ondrej Macek: Dynamic.
      Catone in Utica. Veronica Cangemi, Jacek Laszczkowski, Simon Edwards. La Grande Ecurie et la Chambre du Roy / Jean-Claude Malgoire: Dynamic.
      Ercole su`l Termodonte. Stains, Nesi, Cherici, Dordolo, Il Complesso Barocco / Alan Curtis. Dynamic (DVD).
      Motezuma. Vito Priante, Mary-Ellen Nesi, Laura Cherici, Franziska Gottwald, Theodora Baka, Gemma Bertagnolli, Il Complesso Barocco / Alan Curtis, Stefano Vizioli: Dynamic (DVD).
      Rosmira Fedele. Pizzolato, Brua, Haller, Elwes. Ensemble Baroque De Nice / Gilbert Bezzina: Dynamic.

Griselda. Colin Ainsworth, Carla Huhtanen, Lynne McMurtry. Opera in Concert, Aradia Ensemble / Kevin Mallon: Naxos.

No claims that is complete, but it's a start .

Vivaldi operas http://www.antonio-vivaldi.eu/contenu.php?id=5#.

Looking forward to the BAL .

Comment

I know nothing from this part of Vivaldi's repertoire so I shall be listening to this BaL with open if not entirely innocent ears

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          I know nothing from this part of Vivaldi's repertoire so I shall be listening to this BaL with open if not entirely innocent ears

I envy reinerfan's extensive knowledge of this repertoire that he can make so authoritative a judgement of it.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I will be most surprised if Jean-Christophe Spinosi's recording of Vivaldi's Goldoni opera, Griselda, isn't one of David Vickers' BAL choices .

High resolution and stereo sound:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNA0J2bJg3k&fmt=18"Agitata da due venti",from the opera Griselda, RV 718Opera in three actsMu...

Comment

A survey of Vivaldi's operas is much to be welcolmed. Orlando Furioso, for example, has plenty of excellent music in it, as may be sampled here:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naive/OP30393

The point is that it makes a really refreshing change from the usual menu of Vivaldiana which is continuously served and repackaged on the airwaves and on disc. I do hope that Herr Alpensinfonie will reconsider his objection to making his usual researches, for the benefit of all inteligent and open-eared message board readers.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I envy reinerfan's extensive knowledge of this repertoire that he can make so authoritative a judgement of it.
                This was only my personal reaction to Vivaldi's Operas, but I am delighted that other people will get some benefit from the review. I do have some 7 complete Vivaldi Operas in my collection as well as dozens of excerpts, but the problem that I have with most operas of this period, and I include Handel, Lully and Rameau in this grouping, is that they are usually very long and contain purple patches linked by more lengthy chugging along bits than more modern operas. I do find it easy to drop off to sleep, although that may be assisted by my age and sundry glasses of wine! DVDs do help as there is often some action going on during the boring musical bits. Anyway, I shall have a listen on the 28th. to see if my interest can be revived.

Comment

Originally posted by reinerfan View Post
                  Anyway, I shall have a listen on the 28th. to see if my interest can be revived.

Comment

I finally relented and compiled a list.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Bravo, Mr A, and very many thanks for your scholarly exercise.

Comment

... many thanks.

If you want to get to know quite a lot of Vivaldi operas relatively easily the big naïve box of 27 CDs (Vivaldi edition Operas #01) is a good way in, containing

Orlando Finto Pazzo
                        Juditha Triumphans
                        Tito Manlio
                        la Verita in Cimento
                        Orlando Furioso
                        Atenaide
                        Farnace
                        l'Olimpiade
                        Griselda

... (very much looking forward to the Vivaldi edition Operas #02 in due course!)

I also have - but cannot really recommend:

la Silvia, Ens Baroque de Nice, Gilbert Bezzina
                        Dorilla in Tempe, Ens Baroque de Nice, Gilbert Bezzina

Looking forward to this BAL to see what's new in this rapidly-being-discovered terrain - it's a bit like when we all "discovered" Handel operas ten/twenty years ago

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          Looking forward to this BAL to see what's new in this rapidly-being-discovered terrain - it's a bit like when we all "discovered" Handel operas ten/twenty years ago
                          We did indeed

And I agree about looking forward to this (no early morning constitutionals next Saturday, eh vinfortifié? )

I know almost nothing from the Vivaldi operas.

Would you say they possess as much invention, variety and depth as the Handel operas, in all honesty?
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Comment

Here’s one more:
                              La Fida Ninfa
                              Ensemble Matheus
                              Naïve 3CDs (2009)
                              It's a perverse, wonky masterpiece - but bliss to listen to, writes Tim Ashley

Comment

Working...
                              X