Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CE Chichester Cathedral 25th April 2012

Default CE Chichester Cathedral 25th April 2012

CE Chichester Cathedral
    Feast of St Mark the Evangelist

Order of Service:

Introit: O sing unto the Lord (Andrew Simpson) (Choirbook for the Queen)
    Responses: Sumsion
    Office Hymn: Glory to thee, O God (Harewood)
    Psalm: 45 (Rose, Smart, Cooper)
    First Lesson: Ezekiel 1: 4-14
    Canticles: The Second Service (Byrd)
    Second Lesson: 2 Timothy 4: 1-11
    Anthem: Give me the wings of faith (Leighton)
    Final Hymn: God has spoken by his prophets (Gowanbank)

Organ Voluntary: Final from Symphony No 2 Op. 20 (Vierne)

Timothy Ravalde (Assistant Organist)
    Sarah Baldock (Organist and Master of the Choristers)

Reminder: tomorrow @ 3.30 p.m.

What a pity about the break in transmission...and, curses, on one of the few occasions I'm able to hear it live. The Beeb used to have quite frequent problems with its 'land-line' but surely in this wonderful age of technology it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to stick a mike in a cathedral and broadcast to the nation? Was it being sent via someone's mobile??

Yes, it was desperately sad that the broadcast was marred by technical problems. I do not have the expertise of other members who contribute to this board, but the service -- in its rather subdued tone -- impressed me with its integrity and quiet dignity. Many thanks to those involved. It was good to hear that Sunday's repeat will be uninterrupted.

Good to hear from you EP.

I do not have the expertise of other members who contribute to this board, but the service -- in its rather subdued tone -- impressed me with its integrity and quiet dignity.
    I think most of us have bluff and bluster rather than expertise! Yes, Chichester has retained its traditional, one could say slightly Old Fashioned cathedral sound...and none the worse for that. I look forward to hearing the whole lot, especially the Leighton anthem.

I wonder how the BBC selects its interlude music for situations such as this. That chosen today seemed absolutely inappropriate to me. Surely some organ pieces would have been better?

I suspect they have to have music in tiny movements etc so that when / if tx is restored, they can easily elide from studio back to OB? But, yes, maybe organ music might have been more appropriate?

Surely Goecki's Totus Tuus would be ideal? To re-join the live Tx they could fade it at any point and no-one would notice whether it had finished or not....

In the circumstances that arose yesterday, "fading out" wouldn't bother me too much. Shouldn't the priority be to restore the OB as soon as possible?

Why do they let substitution music play until the end of a movement, rather than fade it out as soon as the live link has been restored? That might have given us a little more of what we actually want to hear.

The building has a touching and magical intimacy, and their singing reflects this. Much appreciated.