• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE Chichester Cathedral 25th April 2012

CE Chichester Cathedral
    Feast of St Mark the Evangelist

Order of Service:

Introit: O sing unto the Lord (Andrew Simpson) (Choirbook for the Queen)
    Responses: Sumsion
    Office Hymn: Glory to thee, O God (Harewood)
    Psalm: 45 (Rose, Smart, Cooper)
    First Lesson: Ezekiel 1: 4-14
    Canticles: The Second Service (Byrd)
    Second Lesson: 2 Timothy 4: 1-11
    Anthem: Give me the wings of faith (Leighton)
    Final Hymn: God has spoken by his prophets (Gowanbank)

Organ Voluntary: Final from Symphony No 2 Op. 20 (Vierne)

Timothy Ravalde (Assistant Organist)
    Sarah Baldock (Organist and Master of the Choristers)

Reminder: tomorrow @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

What a pity about the break in transmission...and, curses, on one of the few occasions I'm able to hear it live. The Beeb used to have quite frequent problems with its 'land-line' but surely in this wonderful age of technology it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to stick a mike in a cathedral and broadcast to the nation? Was it being sent via someone's mobile??

Comment

Yes, it was desperately sad that the broadcast was marred by technical problems. I do not have the expertise of other members who contribute to this board, but the service -- in its rather subdued tone -- impressed me with its integrity and quiet dignity. Many thanks to those involved. It was good to hear that Sunday's repeat will be uninterrupted.

Comment

Good to hear from you EP.

I do not have the expertise of other members who contribute to this board, but the service -- in its rather subdued tone -- impressed me with its integrity and quiet dignity.
          I think most of us have bluff and bluster rather than expertise! Yes, Chichester has retained its traditional, one could say slightly Old Fashioned cathedral sound...and none the worse for that. I look forward to hearing the whole lot, especially the Leighton anthem.

Comment

I wonder how the BBC selects its interlude music for situations such as this. That chosen today seemed absolutely inappropriate to me. Surely some organ pieces would have been better?

Comment

I suspect they have to have music in tiny movements etc so that when / if tx is restored, they can easily elide from studio back to OB? But, yes, maybe organ music might have been more appropriate?

Comment

Surely Goecki's Totus Tuus would be ideal? To re-join the live Tx they could fade it at any point and no-one would notice whether it had finished or not....

Comment

In the circumstances that arose yesterday, "fading out" wouldn't bother me too much. Shouldn't the priority be to restore the OB as soon as possible?

Comment

Why do they let substitution music play until the end of a movement, rather than fade it out as soon as the live link has been restored? That might have given us a little more of what we actually want to hear.

The building has a touching and magical intimacy, and their singing reflects this. Much appreciated.

Comment

I notice that the current LA stops at crisis point as well, so it rather tends to be critical as to how long after Sunday's repeat will the clean edition be available?

Comment

I notice that the current LA stops at crisis point as well
                        ...so it was transmitted via someone's mobile!

Hope someone in the van can dig out the wax cylinder for Sunday. It would be a great shame if the Leighton were assigned to oblivion.

Comment

I think the point about Listen Again is that for technical reasons the programme must be broadcast before it can be listened to again. After the recording made yesterday is broadcast on Sunday, the Listen Again version should be OK.

ISTR a couple of years or so ago that schools broadcasts through the night on Radio 4 (for recording, obviously!) were disrupted so that a number of archive items could be broadcast and therefore made available for listen again.

Anyone?

Comment

The complete service is now on LA, and is sung with the care and commitment that is Chichester's trademark.

RJ

Comment

Good to hear from you RJ. Hope you'll often bring your experience to bear on The Choir Forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X