Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English National Opera 2012-13 Season

Default English National Opera 2012-13 Season

I schlepped up to the Coli this morning (no thanks to SWTrains dreadful service) for the press launch of ENO's new season and a very bold one it is, with new works - an opera about Walt Disney by Philip Glass (are they taking the Mickey?), new productions from controversial directors and some strongly cast revivals:

http://operabritanniauk.wordpress.co...012-13-season/

A very different season to Covent Garden, but then it's a different house and audience. Anything at ENO take your fancy?
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

The idea of RVW's "Pilgrim's Progress" may get me to the ENO for the first time in a number of years... subject to reviewing very carefully who's singing
    "There is not much to see here," said I.
    "Nor to hear, miss," returned Mr Vholes. "A little music does occasionally stray in; but we are not musical in the law, and soon eject it."

Bleak House, Chapter 60

I had hoped for Roddy Williams, who sang it at Sadler's Wells, but he's got other irons in the ENO fire. Roland Wood is Pilgrim/ Bunyan, plus roles for Benedict Nelson and Ann Murray. Martyn Brabbins conducts.
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Does anyone know who's singing Aschenbach?

John Graham-Hall is Aschenbach, Mary. He sang the role to great acclaim at La Scala (same production) and is apparently a great actor in the role (something which Ian Bostridge was criticised for last time round at ENO).

Quote Originally Posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
    I had hoped for Roddy Williams, who sang it at Sadler's Wells, but he's got other irons in the ENO fire. Roland Wood is Pilgrim/ Bunyan, plus roles for Benedict Nelson and Ann Murray. Martyn Brabbins conducts.

Never heard of those gents (great pity about Roderick W - he would have been a great draw for me). I'm so intolerant when it comes to voices
    "There is not much to see here," said I.
    "Nor to hear, miss," returned Mr Vholes. "A little music does occasionally stray in; but we are not musical in the law, and soon eject it."

Bleak House, Chapter 60

Quote Originally Posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
    John Graham-Hall is Aschenbach, Mary. He sang the role to great acclaim at La Scala (same production) and is apparently a great actor in the role (something which Ian Bostridge was criticised for last time round at ENO).
    Thank you. I saw Ian Bostridge do it. Very good singing/diction, but......

It looks like wise repetition of the bread and butter works of Jonathan Miller has made them dare to push the boat out with things like Wozzeck and Julietta. The RVW looks interesting as well though I am not turned on by the thought of a truncated La Traviata from Peter Konwitschny. John Graham Hall in Death in Venice bodes well: he has such powerful stage presence as does Christopher Purvis who is the Walt Disney character in the new Philip Glass. The Carmen looks less Calixto crazy. Medea with Sarah Connolly is unmissable.

Here is ENO's YouTube advert:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Fs-aHr7dw0Q

Martyn Brabbins has this nice article in The Guardian about RVW's The Pilgrim's Progress, in anticipation of ENO's production:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...ughan-williams

I'll have to see if I can fit a visit South around Death in Venice, although the summer is rather a long way ahead to plan - does anyone know if 'affordable' seats are likely to be sold out well ahead?

Medea is tempting too, & performance dates might coincide with an art fair I'm thinking of taking a stand at.