Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English National Opera 2012-13 Season

I schlepped up to the Coli this morning (no thanks to SWTrains dreadful service) for the press launch of ENO's new season and a very bold one it is, with new works - an opera about Walt Disney by Philip Glass (are they taking the Mickey?), new productions from controversial directors and some strongly cast revivals:

ENO recently scooped two Olivier Awards (which doubtless tasted even sweeter for being held at the Royal Opera House): the Best New Opera Production for Rameau’s Castor and Pollux and the Outstandi…

A very different season to Covent Garden, but then it's a different house and audience. Anything at ENO take your fancy?
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

The idea of RVW's "Pilgrim's Progress" may get me to the ENO for the first time in a number of years... subject to reviewing very carefully who's singing
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I had hoped for Roddy Williams, who sang it at Sadler's Wells, but he's got other irons in the ENO fire. Roland Wood is Pilgrim/ Bunyan, plus roles for Benedict Nelson and Ann Murray. Martyn Brabbins conducts.
      Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Does anyone know who's singing Aschenbach?

Comment

John Graham-Hall is Aschenbach, Mary. He sang the role to great acclaim at La Scala (same production) and is apparently a great actor in the role (something which Ian Bostridge was criticised for last time round at ENO).

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
            I had hoped for Roddy Williams, who sang it at Sadler's Wells, but he's got other irons in the ENO fire. Roland Wood is Pilgrim/ Bunyan, plus roles for Benedict Nelson and Ann Murray. Martyn Brabbins conducts.

Never heard of those gents (great pity about Roderick W - he would have been a great draw for me). I'm so intolerant when it comes to voices
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
              John Graham-Hall is Aschenbach, Mary. He sang the role to great acclaim at La Scala (same production) and is apparently a great actor in the role (something which Ian Bostridge was criticised for last time round at ENO).
              Thank you. I saw Ian Bostridge do it. Very good singing/diction, but......

Comment

It looks like wise repetition of the bread and butter works of Jonathan Miller has made them dare to push the boat out with things like Wozzeck and Julietta. The RVW looks interesting as well though I am not turned on by the thought of a truncated La Traviata from Peter Konwitschny. John Graham Hall in Death in Venice bodes well: he has such powerful stage presence as does Christopher Purvis who is the Walt Disney character in the new Philip Glass. The Carmen looks less Calixto crazy. Medea with Sarah Connolly is unmissable.

Here is ENO's YouTube advert:
                ENO is extending the boundaries of opera: presenting award winning work that is new, exciting and surprising.Collaborating with creative talent from across t...

Comment

Martyn Brabbins has this nice article in The Guardian about RVW's The Pilgrim's Progress, in anticipation of ENO's production:

On the eve of its comeback performance at English National Opera, conductor Martyn Brabbins explains why it has taken more than 60 years to bring this opera back to the stage

Comment

I'll have to see if I can fit a visit South around Death in Venice, although the summer is rather a long way ahead to plan - does anyone know if 'affordable' seats are likely to be sold out well ahead?

Medea is tempting too, & performance dates might coincide with an art fair I'm thinking of taking a stand at.

Comment

ENO in trouble ?
                      English National Opera has £2.5million deficit and 2012 audiences were down nine per cent on previous year.

or has this been known for a while ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        ENO in trouble ?
                        English National Opera has £2.5million deficit and 2012 audiences were down nine per cent on previous year.

or has this been known for a while ?
                        I didn't notice your post and posted my own comments in the Platform 3 section:

Worrying times for ENO, but not entirely unexpected given the succession of poorly received productions and poor ticket sales in the last year. A £2.47M loss is apparently the biggest loss ever posted by a British Arts Organisation. However, given that the next Chairman of the Arts Council, Peter Bazalgette, was Deputy Chairman of ENO last year and personally signed off these accounts, its unlikely that the Arts Council will make too much noise or demand an explanation from ENO about these figures.
                        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                          I didn't notice your post and posted my own comments in the Platform 3 section:

Worrying times for ENO, but not entirely unexpected given the succession of poorly received productions and poor ticket sales in the last year. A £2.47M loss is apparently the biggest loss ever posted by a British Arts Organisation. However, given that the next Chairman of the Arts Council, Peter Bazalgette, was Deputy Chairman of ENO last year and personally signed off these accounts, its unlikely that the Arts Council will make too much noise or demand an explanation from ENO about these figures.
                          He of Big Brother fame, LHC?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            He of Big Brother fame, LHC?
                            Absolutely. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the Arts Council role.

Comment

Edward Gardner is in the diary room ....

One does wonder who decides on their programming. I see they are putting Death in VEnice on for the two weeks when many Britten fans will be at the Aldeburgh Festival !

Comment

Working...
                              X