I would pay good money for a decent classical music programme during the mornings....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, my computer has slowed to a complete crawl, iTunes doesn't load or work (in spite of saying it's installed correctly) and it's coming straight off again.

Stick to satellite folks.

BE WARNED - this software is large and - certainly in my bitter experience - likely to cause problems. Hard disk grinding away the whole time, programs hanging.

Just hope I can remove it without causing further problems

Comment

My Windows Remove Programs list won't even populate. This attempted installation has been a catastrophe!!

BE WARNED!!

Comment

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
        My Windows Remove Programs list won't even populate. This attempted installation has been a catastrophe!!

BE WARNED!!

I'm so sorry to have been instrumental in ruining your afternoon, though I'm inclined to blame Bill Gates more...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Well it's not your fault Caliban.

But I would not wish the last hour on my worst enemy. I have only just got my computer working again, I finally (after switching it off and on again) got to the Remove Program list, but there was still something HORRIBLY wrong as everything was going at a snail's pace. However, after about seven minutes it said it had removed iTunes and invited me to restart and I seem to be back in business.

BUT I WILL NEVER EVER NOW TOUCH AN APPLE PRODUCT. My computer ran nicely - or at least did til an hour ago - I've never had anything as bad as this happen.

And I now discover I've missed half of Canterbury Cathedral as a result.

Caliban - I stress that this is NOT aimed at you. You've been nothing but helpful. There must just be something on my computer that conflicts (Adobe Audition? Sony Sonic Stage? Midi Organ software? I just don't know).

Never again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            [To B-o-D] Are you able to reply to mw963 and corroborate or otherwise my faltering attempt to assist?
            It looks as if JanH also managed the download successfully.

iTunes is 290MB on my computer, so it is a bit of a giant.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by mw963 View Post

BE WARNED!!
              I am so sorry for my part in this disaster, heartfelt apologies.
              janH.

Comment

No no no, please don't worry. It's had - thank goodness - a happy ending.

And I'm more than happy with my satellite delivered German radio stations. It was so nice to hear that Suk Quartet yesterday....

Comment

mw963,

Thanks for being the guinea pig here - Glad you've got back to normal. (I know from experience just what it's like to be trying to remove some clogging software when every move is like wading through mud.)

I, too, went to the iTunes site, expecting to click and hear some streaming radio. When I saw that a software download was required I beat a hasty retreat. I hate any programme which tries to take over on file storage, naming, etc.

That is why I have never loaded any of the software which came with our various cameras over the years. I'd much rather store photos and downloads in my directory system and know just where they are. I have had repeated calls for help from other family members who can't find the photos they want because of a screw up in Olympus Studio or some such.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-07-12, 20:44. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    iTunes is 290MB on my computer, so it is a bit of a giant.
                    ... and on mine too.

Applications on the Mac are actually rather clever folder structures that hold localised resources (29 language variations in the case of iTunes), high DPI versions of the graphics for use with appropriately high resolution displays, associated services (e.g. iTunes Helper) and potentially multiple versions of the binary (used in the past to support 32-bit Intel and PowerPC instruction sets in addition to the now standard 64-bit Intel ones).
                    If you right-click on an application and select 'Show Package Contents' you can browse through the folder structure, though I would advise against altering anything directly. Utilities are available to remove the unnecessary components if you need to reclaim the space.

The application bundles are part of why things on a Mac 'just work' and installing or copying an application is, in most cases, simply a case of dragging and dropping what appears to be single application file.
                    (None of that Registry rubbish and 'DLL hell' that plagued Windows for so long.)

Sorry to hear of the problems that you have had with iTunes, mw963, but my recommended solution would be to get a Mac .

Comment

Although ironically, I can't find that one Where are you looking?
                      It's actually called 'Classical Piano Trios - SKY.FM' Cal, Tchaikovsky trio on now.

Sorry can't help those of you having i-tunes problems,I get my kids to sort out technical stuff.
                      Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 04-07-12, 19:02. Reason: To insert link

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        mw963,

Thanks for being the guinea pig here - Glad you've got back to normal.
                        Thanks Don. We sound worryingly similar in our approach to computers!

It was a nasty moment but it does seem to have recovered, I shall run Crap Cleaner (sorry to use bad language but it really is called that) later this evening just to flush out any undetected rubbish, then give it a further going over with Advanced System Care.

That'll teach it.

And no, in spite of the kind recommendation I shan't be buying a Mac!!

Comment

Happy to be of service, ts. KUSC (Southern California) is a favourite of mine from trips over there
                          thanks. That is one I have tried, and it is good.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Happy to be of service, ts. KUSC (Southern California) is a favourite of mine from trips over there
                            Hello Caliban, Thanks for the suggestion of KUSC Classical music, I listen to it most days now. Good music, no "chunks"
                            A good clear website and civilised announcers, no wittering...a real blessing.
                            JanH

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                              That is why I have never loaded any of the software which came with our various cameras over the years. I'd much rather store photos and downloads in my directory system and know just where they are. I have had repeated calls for help from other family members who can't find the photos they want because of a screw up in Olympus Studio or some such.
                              Against that I can recount tales of people who have lost important photos they took because they didn't realise that many cameras use the same file names over and over, so it is easy to overwrite previous images. I tend to do both - keep my own copies and let tools do some of the work also. iTunes isn't too bad when you spot where it files the audio data. I'm more wary of iPhoto, so I use that plus Picasa plus keep my own backups wherever possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Against that I can recount tales of people who have lost important photos they took because they didn't realise that many cameras use the same file names over and over, so it is easy to overwrite previous images. I tend to do both - keep my own copies and let tools do some of the work also. iTunes isn't too bad when you spot where it files the audio data. I'm more wary of iPhoto, so I use that plus Picasa plus keep my own backups wherever possible.
                                Useful point to make, but I can't visualise any system cycling file names on a very short timescale, and I wasn't considering anyone just loading all their photos into one vast sub-directory willy-nilly!

I make one for each year, then month - Otherwise locating items just from sorting by date would be too unwieldy.

Comment

Working...
                                X