Why Aren't There Any Shows Explaining How The Music Works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • May 2024

Why Aren't There Any Shows Explaining How The Music Works?

I have very basic understanding of music theory and can't sight-read musical notation but I do like having music explained to me. I've enjoyed watching Bernstein's famous telly introductions to Beethoven's symphonies, such as the one to the Eroica below. My only wish is that these mini-lectures were an hour long. He has a fantastic way to explain and enthuse about these symphonies, without patronising the viewer. Captivating stuff that has me reaching to my music shelf straight away.

So why aren't there any programmes or people doing this now? Nothing on Radio 3 that I'm aware of. Even less chance of it appearing on the telly, I imagine, even with all that space on the digital channels.

I'd especially appreciate someone explaining why things are revolutionary or showing me what's to like about a composer I struggle with (Liszt, say). A programme dedicated to talking about how pieces of music are structured and explaining musical terminology along the way ('sonata form', 'rubato', etc.) How difficult can that be, BBC?

• Pabmusic
    • May 2011

I agree with you; this sort of programme can capture the imagination of those who are receptive. Unhappily, they went out of fashion with the general move away from 'teaching' anything. People should be encouraged to 'learn' instead, without indoctrination from an authority figure or 'expert'. Add to this a general atmosphere in which classical music is considered 'elitist', and a general belief that most people cannot concentrate for more than three minutes anyway, and I doubt there's much chance of reviving Talking About Music (even if you could find a modern Antony Hopkins).

[I looked up 'Talking About Music' so that I could get Hopkins's name right. One of the first results was "How to talk about music without being a snob". There it is. Exactly. ]

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

The best we have on R3 is Discovering Music. This used to be up to an hour long and the episodes were studio-produced, intelligently discussed and illustrated. Now they are brief 20 minute or so introductions slotted into concert intervals which fail to do justice the the works.

And as for actually learning instruments - you would now need to have a celeb who had never played a note but who will give a performance in the RAH after 6 weeks, or we apparently won't be interested!
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Bernstein and Hopkins were wonderful examples, but I think present-day musicians could do the job - if only the broadcasters had the will. Is it just a British trend to ignore the educational possibilities of television and radio, at least in the field of music? I seem to recall seeing some broadcasts of this nature featuring Michael Tilson Thomas; and, in this country, Howard Goodall has done something similar.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

the best recent programme i have seen is the Brenboim master classes on Beethoven sonatas ....

the Hazlewood stuff is too dumbed down compared to the great Bernstein lectures ...

could not agree more with the call for more programming of this kind
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

Bernstein was a rare and gifted genius at musical communication, how the classical music world, especially in the UK could do with someone of his ability now. In these sad times of instant gratification, anything that needs a bit of work is rapidly relegated to the state of snobbish and intellectual and removed from general circulation. I can't at the moment see anyone out there with the rare gift of charisma and communication who could hold their listeners attention and spark a genuine enthusiasm. The gift of making another person enthused enough to go out and explore a particular subject, come back and question and go away even more enthused is I feel, a dying art.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

the Eroica in three minutes flat - that was quick work

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Good question Noggin....

Some of the Howard Goodall stuff is illuminating for the beginner..."great dates 1937" for instance.

however, due to the paucity of telly stuff, I use the completely free resource "Radio 3 Forum" when I have questions.
                However daft or simple my questions, I always get great answers.
                I have learned a huge amount on here, for which I am grateful.

Costs me a fortune in CD's though !
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  Bernstein and Hopkins were wonderful examples, but I think present-day musicians could do the job - if only the broadcasters had the will. Is it just a British trend to ignore the educational possibilities of television and radio, at least in the field of music? I seem to recall seeing some broadcasts of this nature featuring Michael Tilson Thomas; and, in this country, Howard Goodall has done something similar.
                  I have been trying to recall details of the Tilson Thomas programmes I have seen and have come up with this:

Sky Arts is dedicated to the best arts programming across all genres, 24 hours a day.

MTT appears to have presented this type of thing since the 1970s and, for American audiences, seems to be considered "heir to Lennie".

(I hope no-one is offended by my reference to a non-BBC channel; this seems to have caused some problems in the past. If it offends, please remove the posting.)

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                    I have been trying to recall details of the Tilson Thomas programmes I have seen and have come up with this:

Sky Arts is dedicated to the best arts programming across all genres, 24 hours a day.

MTT appears to have presented this type of thing since the 1970s and, for American audiences, seems to be considered "heir to Lennie".

(I hope no-one is offended by my reference to a non-BBC channel; this seems to have caused some problems in the past. If it offends, please remove the posting.)
                    Looks interesting. Oh, and I for one see nothing wrong with thread-relevant links to Sky Arts. It's when links to that broadcaster's stuff are posted as what appears to be a promotional exercise for the broadcaster, rather than to specific content relating to an established thread, that I start to object.

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

It was suggested on the old bbc board that Tony Pappano would be an outstanding candidate for this kind of role.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

The OP poses a very good question. Big gap on Radio 3.

Can you by any chance speak French (or rather, understand French), Mr Noggin? The best radio programme of this type that I know is every Wednesday morning on France Musique in their "Matin des Musiciens" strand.

Pianist Philippe Cassard ( http://www.owenwhitemanagement.com/p...lippe-Cassard/ http://www.philippecassard.com/repertoire.html ) explains in a most knowledgeable and unmannered style the workings and context of a piece of music. There have been some great shows on Schubert piano works and Mozart piano sonatas. I notice that the programme yesterday was about Ravel's G major piano concerto.

The programmes are available here by podcast for listening any time, or on the day, direct internet listening: http://sites.radiofrance.fr/francemu...?e_id=65000044

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Vinteuil's comment in the 'BBC Radio at 90' thread had me searching for Hans Keller on YouTube. Here he is discussing Beethoven's Violin Concerto, praising Bronislaw Huberman's performance in great detail and with choice excerpts! Great insights are given and he approves of his reduced vibrato approach in the cadenza at the end. Excellent intelligent radio programming that doesn't condescend to the listener. Alas, such exalted criticism is rarely heard today.

Comment

• aeolium
                            • Nov 2010

Thropplenoggin, there is also a youtube recording of Keller discussing Mozart string quartets and quintets in a concert interval talk (split into two parts) here:

Musician and writer Hans Keller talks about Mozart string quartets and quintets on BBC radio, including discussion of K.387 and K.516. [Undated].

Musician and writer Hans Keller talks about Mozart string quartets and quintets on BBC radio, including discussion of K.387 and K.516. [Undated].

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Jazz File was excellent in this regard
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X