Page 1392 of 3590 FirstFirst ... 3928921292134213821390139113921393139414021442149218922392 ... LastLast
Results 13,911 to 13,920 of 35894

Thread: Alphabet associations

  1. #13911
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    west cornwall
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Or if you're really picky - In 1964, Kertész received an appointment at the Cologne Opera where he conducted the first German performance of Benjamin Britten's Billy Budd and Verdi's Stiffelio, as well as the Mozart operas La clemenza di Tito, Don Giovanni, Così fan tutte and The Magic Flute.

    While he established good rapport with the often critical Cologne audience, they were sometimes unhappy with his often fast tempi. His 1970 Aida, with Martina Arroyo in the title role, with one interval and some cuts, lasted under three hours.

  2. #13912
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloughie View Post
    This was a real tragedy. At the time, and still is, one of favourite conductors, very few of his recordings many with LSO and VPO were below par and to this day his Dvorak Syms have rarely been dislodged fro the top of the pile.

  3. #13913
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    west cornwall
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubbernecker View Post
    2 out of 3. Fascinating as János no doubt is to all the closet econophysicists among us, there is only the one Kertész involved here, our beloved Istvan.
    Perhaps L should be awarded to the first person to get the correct answer to clue 2 ?
    How scrupulously fair - not (whose done the grafting?)!

  4. #13914
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scuttling along the M4 corridor
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloughie View Post
    Or if you're really picky - In 1964, Kertész received an appointment at the Cologne Opera where he conducted the first German performance of Benjamin Britten's Billy Budd and Verdi's Stiffelio, as well as the Mozart operas La clemenza di Tito, Don Giovanni, Così fan tutte and The Magic Flute.

    While he established good rapport with the often critical Cologne audience, they were sometimes unhappy with his often fast tempi. His 1970 Aida, with Martina Arroyo in the title role, with one interval and some cuts, lasted under three hours.
    Getting there... I think Or perhaps I am just being picky?

  5. #13915
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    west cornwall
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubbernecker View Post
    Getting there... I think Or perhaps I am just being picky?
    Well that's all you're getting from this poster!

  6. #13916
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scuttling along the M4 corridor
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloughie View Post
    Well that's all you're getting from this poster!
    Shame. You were doing so well... Perhaps someone else would like to take up the baton?

  7. #13917
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    west cornwall
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubbernecker View Post
    Shame. You were doing so well... Perhaps someone else would like to take up the baton?
    If it's not this I give up
    Kertész was appointed chief conductor at the Cologne Opera in 1964 and later, in 1971, took on responsibility for the city’s orchestral concerts, which were given by the opera’s orchestra under the name of the Gürzenich Orchestra. He conducted a wide repertoire at the Cologne Opera, including a highly-praised production of Mozart’s final opera La Clemenza di Tito that helped to re-establish this work in the international repertoire.

  8. #13918
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scuttling along the M4 corridor
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Ah well, I thought I'd made it obvious by boldening the relevant bit above, ie. Billy Budd, the action of which takes place on board the Indomitable.

    I give up too. I'm off to bed. Cloughie's grafting (and griping!) gets him the L

  9. #13919
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    17,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloughie View Post
    How scrupulously fair - not (whose done the grafting?)!
    I agree, what's rubbers on!?

    cloughie you got the link and two of the elements, thanks to assidous chipping away... You plainly deserve the L!!!

    Rubbers will wake up more cheerful, let us hope
    "There is not much to see here," said I.
    "Nor to hear, miss," returned Mr Vholes. "A little music does occasionally stray in; but we are not musical in the law, and soon eject it."


    Bleak House, Chapter 60

  10. #13920
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    west cornwall
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubbernecker View Post
    Ah well, I thought I'd made it obvious by boldening the relevant bit above, ie. Billy Budd, the action of which takes place on board the Indomitable.

    I give up too. I'm off to bed. Cloughie's grafting (and griping!) gets him the L
    Don't do Britten Operas so wouldn't have got it anyway!

    I'm getting the L outta 'ere 'til morning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •