• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kertesz

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Kertesz
      Any evidence to support such a bold assertion, Cloughie?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
        Any evidence to support such a bold assertion, Cloughie?

1 Kertész is a common Hungarian surname meaning gardener
        2 János Kertész is a Hungarian physicist. He is one of the pioneers of econophysics, complex networks and application of fractal geometry in physical problems. 1981 - 1982 Research fellow at the Cologne University
        1988 - 1989 and 1991 Visiting professor at the Cologne University
        3 On April 16, 1973, while on a concert tour, Istvan Kertész drowned while swimming off the coast of Israel at Herzliya

This was a real tragedy. At the time, and still is, one of favourite conductors, very few of his recordings many with LSO and VPO were below par and to this day his Dvorak Syms have rarely been dislodged fro the top of the pile.

Comment

2 out of 3. Fascinating as János no doubt is to all the closet econophysicists among us, there is only the one Kertész involved here, our beloved Istvan.
          Perhaps L should be awarded to the first person to get the correct answer to clue 2 ?

Comment

Kertész received an appointment at the Cologne Opera

Comment

Or if you're really picky - In 1964, Kertész received an appointment at the Cologne Opera where he conducted the first German performance of Benjamin Britten's Billy Budd and Verdi's Stiffelio, as well as the Mozart operas La clemenza di Tito, Don Giovanni, Così fan tutte and The Magic Flute.

While he established good rapport with the often critical Cologne audience, they were sometimes unhappy with his often fast tempi. His 1970 Aida, with Martina Arroyo in the title role, with one interval and some cuts, lasted under three hours.

Comment

This was a real tragedy. At the time, and still is, one of favourite conductors, very few of his recordings many with LSO and VPO were below par and to this day his Dvorak Syms have rarely been dislodged fro the top of the pile.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

2 out of 3. Fascinating as János no doubt is to all the closet econophysicists among us, there is only the one Kertész involved here, our beloved Istvan.
                  Perhaps L should be awarded to the first person to get the correct answer to clue 2 ?
                  How scrupulously fair - not (whose done the grafting?)!

Comment

Or if you're really picky - In 1964, Kertész received an appointment at the Cologne Opera where he conducted the first German performance of Benjamin Britten's Billy Budd and Verdi's Stiffelio, as well as the Mozart operas La clemenza di Tito, Don Giovanni, Così fan tutte and The Magic Flute.

While he established good rapport with the often critical Cologne audience, they were sometimes unhappy with his often fast tempi. His 1970 Aida, with Martina Arroyo in the title role, with one interval and some cuts, lasted under three hours.
                    Getting there... I think Or perhaps I am just being picky?

Comment

Getting there... I think Or perhaps I am just being picky?
                      Well that's all you're getting from this poster!

Comment

Well that's all you're getting from this poster!
                        Shame. You were doing so well... Perhaps someone else would like to take up the baton?

Comment

Shame. You were doing so well... Perhaps someone else would like to take up the baton?
                          If it's not this I give up
                          Kertész was appointed chief conductor at the Cologne Opera in 1964 and later, in 1971, took on responsibility for the city’s orchestral concerts, which were given by the opera’s orchestra under the name of the Gürzenich Orchestra. He conducted a wide repertoire at the Cologne Opera, including a highly-praised production of Mozart’s final opera La Clemenza di Tito that helped to re-establish this work in the international repertoire.

Comment

Ah well, I thought I'd made it obvious by boldening the relevant bit above, ie. Billy Budd, the action of which takes place on board the Indomitable.

I give up too. I'm off to bed. Cloughie's grafting (and griping!) gets him the L

Comment

How scrupulously fair - not (whose done the grafting?)!
                              I agree, what's rubbers on!?

cloughie you got the link and two of the elements, thanks to assidous chipping away... You plainly deserve the L!!!

Rubbers will wake up more cheerful, let us hope
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Ah well, I thought I'd made it obvious by boldening the relevant bit above, ie. Billy Budd, the action of which takes place on board the Indomitable.

I give up too. I'm off to bed. Cloughie's grafting (and griping!) gets him the L
                                Don't do Britten Operas so wouldn't have got it anyway!

I'm getting the L outta 'ere 'til morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X