X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    Wallcorn?
    So the beefy one has adjourned here for some fun!

Incidentally, should we rename this thread "Twenty Questions" ?
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 31-05-12, 12:49.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I need a clue. are we saying our county cricket playing opera impresario

a) was born in Dorset?
      b) played cricket for Dorset?
      c) went to school in Dorset?
      d) died in Dorset?
      e) occasionally passed through Dorset?
      f) did his opera impresarioing in Dorset?
      g) none of the above ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        I need a clue. are we saying our county cricket playing opera impresario

a) was born in Dorset?
        b) played cricket for Dorset?
        c) went to school in Dorset?
        d) died in Dorset?
        e) occasionally passed through Dorset?
        f) none of the above ?
        (f) (but I do not know about (e)). As well as putting on Italian opera in London he was also a politician, being MP for Old Sarum for some years (and for East Grinstead before and after).

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
          (f) (but I do not know about (e)). As well as putting on Italian opera in London he was also a politician, being MP for Old Sarum for some years (and for East Grinstead before and after).
          well you've certainly given enough information
          however the internet is gradually sending me bonkers trying to find the answer
          I shall retreat to save my sanity

Comment

well you've certainly given enough information
            however the internet is gradually sending me bonkers trying to find the answer
            I shall retreat to save my sanity
            This seems to be one case where the information is somewhat dispersed. Wikipedia makes no mention of the operatic involvement. Grove makes no mention of the cricket.

Comment

well, Charles Sackville 2nd Duke Dorset, was MP for both places and played cricket for Kent in 1734, but no wikipedia mention of opera
              I'm afraid I don't have access to Grove

Comment

well, Charles Sackville 2nd Duke Dorset, was MP for both places and played cricket for Kent in 1734, but no wikipedia mention of opera
                That's the one. Grove gives him as running Italian opera in London from 1739-1748 (including performances of Pergolesi's L'Olimpiade in 1741-2).

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                  Result rounded up to take account of headwind, download speed and overnight changes in the euro/£ exchange rate.
                  What about the ambient temperature, that could mean +/- 20pc.

Comment

A D to link a county cricketer and opera impresario, an arboriculturist composer, and a BBC Controller of Music.

Summary:

Charles Sackville, Earl of Middlesex and 2nd Duke of Dorset, played cricket once for Kent, and took over running Italian opera at the King's Theatre, London, in 1739.
                    Henry Balfour Gardiner retirerd to Dorset in 1927 and devoted himself to afforestation.
                    Sir William Glock founded the Bryanston Sumer School of Music in 1948.

Over to mercia for an 'E', I think.

Comment

Over to mercia for an 'E', I think.
                      sorry I have to go
                      could someone oblige? cloughie? new boy beef ?

Comment

sorry I have to go
                        could someone oblige? cloughie? new boy beef ?
                        Amazing work, mercs! Hope you are going for a good walk to restore the little grey cells!

A new question from Beefy is an attractive concept.

Might it be worth recalling the original precept of the Founding Father of this sect:
                        Originally posted by Simon View Post
                        Basically, you name between 3 and 6 words or short phrases, and ask for the thing that links them together. You have to do it in alphabetical order, so that the first answer starts with an A, the second B etc.

Where it should be fairly easy, you stick to three initial "clues", but where a bit more help may be needed you add more

But all questions should be gettable - there's no point researching for really obscure connections cos almost nobody will be able to answer.

Person who gets it right starts the next one, and so on.
                        Beefy, do you fancy bowling one down?

Comment

Wikipedia makes no mention of the operatic involvement. Grove makes no mention of the cricket
                          Being nosey, do you have the online Grove or the books? And, how did you afford them!! Only joking, my goodness Grove is a serious expense but maybe you use them in a professional capacity.

I think a big beefy puzzle would be good, if he can be enticed to do so. (Sorry I had to wrap up my silly B and exit yesterda evening but I had a date with a salmon, which probably wasn't exciting as Caliban mingling with the Celebs!)

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            A new question from Beefy is an attractive concept.
                            You mean rather than one of my tedious, tortuous semi-understandable .....I get the picture!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              Being nosey, do you have the online Grove or the books?
                              I have access to Grove Music Online through my work as an Open University tutor. Access should be widely available through public libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                You mean rather than one of my tedious, tortuous semi-understandable .....I get the picture!

Not at all. Just attempting to spread the love, brother Cloughie!

Comment

Working...
                                X