This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    As a newcomer to the thread, I'm not sure how much connection there has to be.
    Ned Rorem wrote his War Scenes to words of Walt Whitman.
    Whitman also wrote Whispers of heavenly death.
    So is that it, or do I need to find some musical setting of the whispers?

Bravo - you're well on the way and have the W - double-W in fact - Mr Walt Whitman of course.

Yes to Rorem's War Scenes.

And yes to:

John Adams' piece The Wound-Dresser are by Walt Whitman

The remaining element is a piece of music too ?

(Generally there's something musical attaching to each clue - (at least that's what I try and do)

Then can I repeat my suggestion above that a new thread is started with A?
    I agree. Before severing it once this W is all complete, maybe other regulars could say whether they object.

Should we allow the 3750-odd pages of AA to date sink down the Platform 3 list? Probably not worth 'sticking it' to the top of the thread, is it?
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 04-02-16, 12:52. Reason: Completion
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

no objections from me.
      Last edited by mercia; 04-02-16, 12:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Bravo - you're well on the way and have the W - double-W in fact - Mr Walt Whitman of course.

Yes to Rorem's War Scenes.

Each of the other two elements is a piece of music too - any more for any more?

(Generally there's something musical attaching to each clue - (at least that's what I try and do)
        I think we already had John Adams for The Wound Dresser. For Whispers of Heavenly Death there seem to be many settings: Holst, Vaughan Williams, Hans Werner Henze, and many other less well known composers.

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        I agree. Before severing it once this W is all complete, maybe other regulars could say whether they object.

Should we allow the 3750-odd pages of AA to date sink down the Platform 3 list? Probably not worth 'sticking it' to the top of the thread, is it?
        I, for one, would be sorry to lose the position of AA as the longest running thread in the entire forum.
        Last edited by subcontrabass; 04-02-16, 13:07.

Comment

The trio on the card were

John Adams - The Wound-Dresser

Ned Rorem - War Scenes

Henze - Whispers from Heavenly Death

all to word by Walt Whitman.

I reckon Pulcinella should work up a puzzling A, in the meantime: to split the thread or not to split?

Comment

is the main objection to the thread continuing that it takes a long time to open on some people's, erm, whatever the word is .... "devices" ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              is the main objection to the thread continuing that it takes a long time to open on some people's, erm, whatever the word is .... "devices" ?
              It loads quickly if you change the settings to show the latest first. But that's a pain because it's all topsy turvy, although you get used to it.

It would be a shame to lose sight of what has gone before. We've had some laughs! (NB this isn't a closed group. Anyone is welcome to join in with the associating!)
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                I must say that I have already done the 'latest first' tweak, and even with that and 75Mbps superfast internet on an Apple laptop, this and other threads take an age to load sometimes - to the extent that I sometimes give up and go and do something else

That's basically why I favour starting a 'Part II' thread - though I could negotiate with frenchy to see if 'Part I' could remain 'sticky' and accessible at the top of Platform 3...

Comment

Working...
                X