Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elgar: The Starlight Express

A new recording of Elgar's Starlight Express, conducted by Sir Andrew Davis, has been issued by Chandos. It uses a narrator rather than the cast envisaged by Elgar and Algernon Blackwood. Although it has been given something of a rave review in IRR, I think this was a missed opportunity to give us the work as it was originally intended. Neverthless, it seems too good to miss, even though I already have the Vernon Handley version.

I previewed this on Qobuz and found it to be very interesting and pleasant with excellent sound. I too have the Tod Handley version. No immediate plans to purchase, but we'll see ....

Comment

I'm quite intrigued by this.

The big problem with any incidental music that includes melodrama is what to do with the passages that were intended to accompany spoken dialogue - the dialogue doesn't usually make sense out of context. As far as this work goes, the dialogue is very much of its time - rather twee post-Peter Pan fantasy. It might even have made Enid Blyton wince a little, were that possible.

The BBC broadcast the play in the 60s with Elgar's music, but ruined the whole thing by using such a poor balance that the music was often inaudible. I have a recording of this effort and it is truly laughable - rather as if the music is coming from a radio in the next room. In any event, I am pleased Chandos avoided reproducing the play and have opted for a 'concert version' that could even be used before an audience. This is as well as recording 'all'* the music as Handley did.

*[I think there may be a smidgen more, since their source material seems to be the Elgar Complete Edition volume that was published in 2010.]
      Last edited by Pabmusic; 03-11-12, 00:35. Reason: Sloppiness

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

*[I think there may be a smidgen more, since their source material seems to be the Elgar Complete Edition volume that was published in 2010.]
        There are a few bits in the ESE full score that do not appear in the Handley version.

Comment

I picked up a very cheap copy of the Handley and did not have high hopes . The text and the play seem extremely dated and Pabs defines it perfectly .

Oh but what marvellous music and the Handley is splendidly sung by Masterson and Hammond-Stroud with an extremely informative booklet by Jerrold Northrop Moore .

Comment

I'm sorry to say this, but I much prefer the coupling of the Handley version, Delius's Incidental music for Flecker's Hassan.

Comment

There is no coupling on the CFP reissue they get it all on one CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                I picked up a very cheap copy of the Handley and did not have high hopes . The text and the play seem extremely dated and Pabs defines it perfectly .

Oh but what marvellous music and the Handley is splendidly sung by Masterson and Hammond-Stroud with an extremely informative booklet by Jerrold Northrop Moore .
                Is this still generally available?
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

per Presto, only as a download -
                  http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/W...59072#download
                  If anyone is interested, its on Naxos Music Lib (the Chandos/Davis should also be there) - I added the Handley to a post of mine :
                  http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-library/page3
                  (Interested to hear the soloists - good memories; No pdf CD booklet on either site - but perhaps Barbirollians can comment whether it provides much info, in any case).
                  Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 20-10-16, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    For under a tenner, you can get a second-hand copy, Bbm:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      I know fhg has replied but there is also a like new double cd of Handley's recording of Starlight Express coupled with his recording of Delius' Hassan for £5.40 on Amazon Marketplace, Just type in Handley Elgar Delius on CD and Vinyl and you should find it

Comment

Originally posted by cincinnatus View Post
                        I know fhg has replied but there is also a like new double cd of Handley's recording of Starlight Express coupled with his recording of Delius' Hassan for £5.40 on Amazon Marketplace, Just type in Handley Elgar Delius on CD and Vinyl and you should find it
                        Beware of one reissue that cut the work ever so slightly in order to accommodate it on a single CD. Nowadays the increased time would not deter manufacturers from issuing a CD exceeding 80 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Beware of one reissue that cut the work ever so slightly in order to accommodate it on a single CD. Nowadays the increased time would not deter manufacturers from issuing a CD exceeding 80 minutes.
                          The double cd in message 11 has 74' 42'' on cd 1 and 7' 58'' at the start of cd 2 before the commencement of Hassan

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            The timing on Naxos Music Lib is 1hr 18 mins 26 secs (27 tracks).
                            Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 20-10-16, 12:50.

Comment

I have this work on Decca Ovation as along with "Sea Pictures" it is with Constant Lambert's "The Rio Grande". I was disgruntled that Lambert's name wasn't mentioned on the spine. That sort of thing matters. It means it has to be under "E" rather than "L" and the full content has to be remembered. But as a combination the two - "The Starlight Express" and "The Rio Grande" - probably made sense to compilers working with the unfair heading "Novelty". The disc is Mackerras/Wordsworth/Terfel etc but you knew that anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X