Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs C headed to Edinburgh for the Grayson Perry exhibition this weekend. Left on my own, last night I thought I'd watch something she would not countenance watching. I'd recently finished reading Cormac McCarthy's 'No Country for Old Men', and had the DVD in a drawer for a while, so thought I'd dig it out. Great film - excellent performances from everybody on show although I couldn't quite accept Kelly MacDonald's southern accent; southern Glescae perhaps...she was fine nevertheless. The film looked great, though It did miss some of the great inputs from the Sherriff that are in the book, but I inserted them myself, the book still being pretty fresh in my mind. If I had to toss a coin I would say that Javier Bardem came out on top.

Tonight I came in from minibus driving in the rain duties and decided to dig through the drawers and found a Woody Allen boxset. I couldn't remember the last time I watched one of his films. Mrs C is not a fan. I took a notion to have a look at 'Annie Hall'. I was not expecting much. I loved it when it came out, but not sure I had seen it since the late 70s. It's a wee while since I laughed so much at a film, I have to say. Some great jokes and Woody was very believable back then. Also, it reminded me of girls I knew back then who dressed like Diane Keaton. Most entertaining.

Note to self: must have a trip to the cinema soon.

Comment

I too loved Woody Allen's films when I discovered them belatedly about 25 years ago, firstly because they made me laugh more than anything else since 'Hancock's Half-Hour', but later for the many references to Chekhov and Bergman. I don't watch them so much now, but I may revisit them when I have time.

Comment

I saw No Country for Old Men before reading the book, and was surprised how much of the dialogue is verbatim McCarthy’s rather than the Coen brothers. The encounter between Chigurh and the owner of the gas station is one of the tensest dialogues in all cinema, and literature! Although the motor, the ‘money’ is the proverbial Macguffin; it’s only on the n-th watch where I finally realised where it ended up, its fate is of the least consequence. One of the great films of this century.

Comment

John Wilson interviews the mighty Werner Herzog on 'This Cultural Life' on BBC Radio 4. Always a delight to hear him.
          German film-maker and writer Werner Herzog on his cultural inspirations.

Brilliant radio!
          Last edited by johncorrigan; 30-10-23, 15:52.

Comment

Watched proximity and plane on prime, both a bit rubbish.
            Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              I too loved Woody Allen's films when I discovered them belatedly about 25 years ago, firstly because they made me laugh more than anything else since 'Hancock's Half-Hour', but later for the many references to Chekhov and Bergman. I don't watch them so much now, but I may revisit them when I have time.
              I must admit to still hugely enjoying Woody Allen's Manhattan in giving me a strong impression of New York and its pretensions that is almost tactile, never having visited. Allen's never quite self-convincing proclamations of his own sexual prowess to the young Mariel Hemingway have, along with other things, come in for criticism of late in the light of allegations from numerous sources one feels constrained to discount, but at one point where he is agonizing over unexamined motivations, which she seems prepared to excuse, he comes out with that wonderful line, something like "But what about integrity? What kind of example are we leaving for future generations?"

Comment

I decided to visit New York in 2001 and one of my first port of calls was The Carnegie Deli which features in my favourite Woody Allen movies, ‘Broadway Danny Rose’. I bought a ‘Danny Rosé’ sandwich which had enough meat to literally feed me for two days! (‘If I could just interject one concept at this juncture…’)

Years later, I took my wife and mother to the Carnegie Deli for my 52nd birthday where I had a gorgeous cheesecake! Very sad that the Carnegie Deli is now, afaik, closed following a scandal where they were leeching electricity from other businesses on their block.

Comment

I was impressed by Mia Farrow's performance in 'Broadway Danny Rose'. I didn't recognise her the first time I saw it, which shows, I think, she was a more versaitile actor than she has been given credit for. She was good in 'Alice', too. I've never been a fan of hers, so it was gratifying to see these .

Comment

Interesting that we have a little Woody Allen appreciation society going on here. I thought that he had been cancelled forever, after the revelations and accusations of Mia and Ronan Farrow. Somehow cinema figures are able to ride out the damage that scandals do to their long term reputations, going back to the Errol Flynn times. Roman Polanski wins an Oscar after being convicted to forcibly sodomizing a 13 year old. Such accusations have permanently derailed the likes of James Levine and Robert King but tinsel town seems to get a pass, as if scandals are an expected part of the Curriculum Vitae

Comment

Well, revelations and accusations are only someone's opinion. I'm glad I live in a society where I can decide for myself whom to believe.

Comment

Well, revelations and accusations are only someone's opinion. I'm glad I live in a society where I can decide for myself whom to believe.
                        ... there are also the judgments of courts of law

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... there are also the judgments of courts of law
                          …of which there are none whatsoever in Woody Allen’s case, just to be clear about that. I probably shouldn’t even say THAT much, since this of course is a lightning-rod topic. In any case, I’m more interested in the art than in the sins and crimes of the artist; I haven’t stopped watching Roman Polanski’s films either.

I should fill in my Woody Allen gaps, but he is just so prolific. My favorite is Stardust Memories. Underrated: Interiors, Broadway Danny Rose, Another Woman, Everyone Says I Love You, Melinda and Melinda. Well-regarded by me and others: Manhattan, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Husbands and Wives, Sweet and Lowdown, Match Point, Vicky Cristina Barcelona. One could go on and on.

Comment

How do Patrick , we have a Welcome thread for new members that you might like to use https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/ra...boards/welcome
                            bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                              How do Patrick , we have a Welcome thread for new members that you might like to use https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/ra...boards/welcome
                              A new member should start a new topic in the Welcome sub-forum, or should contribute to the welcome… sticky topic (which doesn’t seem to be active)? I was confused by that.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickMurtha View Post

A new member should start a new topic in the Welcome sub-forum, or should contribute to the welcome… sticky topic (which doesn’t seem to be active)? I was confused by that.
                                no it's not a formality... some people just like to do that....some don't....welcome from me anyway ( i'll refresh Welcome thread)....
                                bong ching

Comment

Working...
                                X