X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian Gothic @ 2011 Proms?

I recently spotted this:

"Havergal Brian's Gothic symphony is being performed at the Proms July 17, 2011 - BBC National Orchestra of Wales, conducted by Martyn Brabbins"

here:

(scroll down to "Notices")

No source or further information that I can see. In passing I also interpreted something a freelance player I know mentioned recently as hinting at this, but assumed it was the effect of crossed wires and !

As far as I can tell it's not April 1st yet, but the concept of it not being a windup or baseless rumour is a bit hard to swallow. Apart from anything else, it's hardly recession compatible programming...

It would be marvellous to hear the 'Gothic' at the Proms in 2011 as I really rate Havergal Brian as a composer, but I think that somebody is pulling your leg. It's like my dream of them doing all 32 Symphonies at the Royal Albert Hall in one season: a nice idea, but never going to happen...

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Danby View Post
      It would be marvellous to hear the 'Gothic' at the Proms in 2011 as I really rate Havergal Brian as a composer, but I think that somebody is pulling your leg. It's like my dream of them doing all 32 Symphonies at the Royal Albert Hall in one season: a nice idea, but never going to happen...
      That makes two of us, Colonel

Comment

If it's true, great. . If not - ah, well - maybe one day.

Comment

There are few events that I would describe as a must but that would be one of them. Actually I'd settle for any of the 32!
          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

It appears that there's to be a performance this coming Wednesday - and it's sold out (so don't all rush down to Brisbane).
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yes. My Australian sister-in-law said something about it on Skype this morning. (She isn't going to it. )

Comment

If we accept this posting as true, this would be on the third night of the 2011 Proms. I think most of us are acting on the assumption that the First Night is Mahler 2, which leaves the second night unaccounted for right now. In other words, for the first weekend, the Proms powers-that-be might have another blockbuster opening weekend planned, like this past Proms season. It was probably planned well before the economy really started tanking, since the seasons have to be programmed a minimum of 2 years in advance, one would think. If true, I would be hugely tempted to travel overseas for it, but I suspect that I won't be able to even if it were true.

Comment

On the Questions to RW on the Proms last year:

"thinking of British music, there is one piece which leaps out as being both neglected and ideal for a Prom performance, namely Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony. I appreciate this would require some planning, but it really is both the ideal venue and the ideal occasion for it. Please do bear it in mind, and if you need convincing of how dramatic it can sound, listen to the recent re-issue of the live performance conducted by Boult."

RW: "[...]Thanks too for the Havergal Brian suggestion - you are not the first to suggest it and I promise to bear it in mind in the future. I have heard the Boult recording (and others) and was present at the Ole Schmidt performance in 1980. "

So, not an impossibility?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Brabbins recorded Symphonies 10 and 30, the Concerto for orchestra and the English Suite No. 3 with the RSNO, back in September, so he would seem likely candidate for 'The Gothic'.

The September recordings are due for release on the Dutton label in early 2011.

Comment

My thinking on this is pretty well identical to the post from Bluestateprommer (welcome to the boards btw). I see no reason why it should be a wind up. As BSP says last season's Proms got off to a very strong start and many would agree that it 'made' the season.

I was present at the 1980 Ole Schmidt performance and also an amateur one in Stoke on Trent in 1978 so if this report is true I'll book my day off now.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I am by no means an unequivocal admirer of all of Brian's work and have for some time found that many of the later symphonies leave me pretty cold (although I'm looking forward to listening to Ave Atque Vale, a late work of which I've heard many good things but with which I am shamefully unacquainted). Symphonies 2 - 5, however, are all well deserving of far more exposure than they've ever had. As to the Gothic, it seems hard to figure out where that came from but it is, for me, one of the finest symphonies ever penned by an English composer and one of the most remarkable works of its time from anywhere.

The history of the British symphony in the past century or more, spearheaded by Vaughan Williams and Elgar, seemed to come to something of a halt from around the time of WWI, leaving Bax almost in the position of principal torchbearer until the 1930s. Brian's contributions to English symphonic literature would fundamentally have altered our perception of that history had it not been for the fact that it barely impinged on listeners' consciousness as the early symphonies in particular remained unperformed for as long as they did.

The Gothic has yet to receive the performances that it deserves, although in fairness it is almost certainly the hardest of them all to bring off. I do hope very much that this grave imbalance is redressed soon, although it's already been an interminable wait! It has long had something of a reputation of freakishness which is utterly unwarranted; it is a monumental and most moving work and a really fine performance would be an experience to savour for years.

Comment

Surely now is a good time to put on the Gothic after all the hard work put in to preparing the performance materials for Brisbane. With 4 CDs waiting to be released and Naxos taking an interest in recording more symphonies 2011 could be a bumper year for Brian (and it's not even an anniversary).

Comment

The 1920's were a relatively quiet time internationally as well as in the UK for symphonies, at least compared to the previous 50 years. However the 1930's saw a gradual increase once more. In the UK this was really launched by three outstanding symphonies Bax 6, Vaughan Williams 4 and Walton 1 and continued right through until the late 1960's. I for one will look forward to the Brian Gothic if this is performed. It is by far the best of his early symphonies IMO, (I find no 3 the weakest). Of the remaining symphonies that I've recordings of I like symphonies 7-9 in particular and was particualrly taken with No 17 when I first listened to it the other week.

Comment

Petroushka, I was present at that performance with Ole Schmidt. Would't it be marvellous to have that as the opening night Prom!!!
                              Last edited by BBMmk2; 20-12-10, 16:51.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X