Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENO up the creek?

English National Opera appears to once again be heading over the financial cliff. ENO's 2011-12 results were sneaked out after Christmas with no official announcement. Hardly surprising when you see the actual results.

In the space of one year, a modest surplus of £48K has turned into a massive loss of £2.47M. Like other arts organisations, ENO's grant from the Arts Council was cut in that year, but this was compensated for by an equivalent increase in sponsorship and donations. The real failure for ENO has been the decline in box office income. The reasons for this are twofold. Firstly, average attendance has declined from 80% to 71% and secondly, a large number of tickets had to be sold off at vastly reduced prices; some 58,000 tickets being offloaded by ENO at £26 or less. The top price of tickets at ENO is around £100, with almost all of tickets in the stalls, dress circle and upper circle costing more than £50. Despite this, the average price actually paid for ENO tickets last year was just £43.

This is ENO's third financial crisis in 15 years and on the face of it would appear to be the worst yet. The scale of the loss is significantly larger than the one that precipitated an Arts Council bail out 10 years ago and, as ENO has already cut its staff to the bone, there would appear to be little scope for further economies to be achieved. The Director's report accompanying these shocking figures appears to be remarkably blase about them and doesn't acknowledge ENO's artistic and financial problems. There seems to be no plan to address this level of loss making.

If ENO is to survive, it surely needs to address its falling audience numbers and its failure to sell tickets at the advertised prices. Edward Gardner is a very good conductor and musical standards at ENO are often very high, but the standard of productions fails to match this. There are too many gimmicky productions by film and theatre directors without any understanding of, or feeling for, opera, and the Artistic Director, John Berry, seems to be fixated on superficial and cynical marketing opportunities designed to pursue a mythical 'yoof' market, such as the suggestion that people should 'undress for the opera'.

When I first started attending opera in the 80s, ENO had a strong artistic personality led by Mark Elder and David Pountney. They built a loyal public on challenging opera productions and the presentation of new and exciting operas. There is no such vision in place today.

Allied to a strong artistic vision, ENO's prices also need to come down to realistic levels. £100 for the mediocre fare often put on at the Coliseum is ridiculous, especially when most regulars know that the same tickets will be on offer for £26 or less as soon the reviews are in.
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Originally posted by LHC View Post
    . . . ENO's prices also need to come down to realistic levels. . .
    Yes, grasping can put people off permanently. The only place where I have any longer bothered to attend concerts and operas is Hong Kong, where it cost six local dollars (about ten shillings). To contribute to capitalism is beneath my dignity! I wonder what the prices were like in Eastern Europe before 1990? I visited a couple of those countries but was engaged in the evenings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
      I wonder what the prices were like in Eastern Europe before 1990? I visited a couple of those countries but was engaged in the evenings.
      I've been recently (2007) to opera/concerts in Poland, Hungary, Slovenia. In Wrocław, I was asked what price of seat I wanted. Not knowing what to say, I timidly suggested the equivalent of £20 and was told I could have the whole theatre for that. In Budapest - the State opera - I paid £5. These were not the best seats, of course, but they were absolutely satisfactory. But that's not very different from what I pay for the WNO (being an utter cheapskate).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
        Yes, grasping can put people off permanently. The only place where I have any longer bothered to attend concerts and operas is Hong Kong, where it cost six local dollars (about ten shillings). To contribute to capitalism is beneath my dignity! I wonder what the prices were like in Eastern Europe before 1990? I visited a couple of those countries but was engaged in the evenings.
        Even by purchasing tickets for the equivalent of £0.50 (admittedly a serious bargain) constitutes contributing to capitalism (just less than paying hundreds of pounds for opera tickets) but I see no need for you to concern yourself about it being "beneath your dignity" to do so! Paying those who perform at such concerts and operas, funding the venues in which they perform, paying for the marketing, PR, advertising, administration and much else besides also involves - indeed requires - contributions to capitalism to the extent that all involve money changing hands and sometimes governments taking their lawful cuts out of such transactions.

That said, I do agree that charging exorbitant sums for tickets can indeed be counter-productive; the problem with this issue, however, is that, in almost all cases involving "classical" concerts, opera, ballet, etc., the net box office take (after deducting the costs of printing / selling the tickets, staffing, accounting for those sales, general administration and any commissions generated by such sales) never goes anywhere near funding the total cost of the event concerned, even when all seats in the venues in which they're given are sold, so a lot more capitalist activity has to take place in the form of grasping subsidies from every conceivable source, governmental, corporate and private, otherwise some if not all such events will simply not take place. Many opera productions are by their very nature the most notoriously expensive of all.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I've been recently (2007) to opera/concerts in Poland, Hungary, Slovenia. In Wrocław, I was asked what price of seat I wanted. Not knowing what to say, I timidly suggested the equivalent of £20 and was told I could have the whole theatre for that. In Budapest - the State opera - I paid £5. These were not the best seats, of course, but they were absolutely satisfactory. But that's not very different from what I pay for the WNO (being an utter cheapskate).
          That's extraordinary! - and, of course, most welcome (except to the extent that, these days, it has an adverse effect on the royalties due to composers of copyrighted works performed in such venues! - sorry, I had to get that one in!)...

Comment

I've never been to an opera, except once when I was a march-on extra in AIDA. I can't bring myself to worry about it. whereas the problem highlighted in this link...
            http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk...s-mp-1-5274203
            ... worries me a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
              I've never been to an opera, except once when I was a march-on extra in AIDA. I can't bring myself to worry about it. whereas the problem highlighted in this link...
              ... worries me a lot.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

Over the years, I've had a few mind-blowing experiences in opera houses, and I'm fortunate to be able to pay top dollar for something I really want to see/hear. Trouble is, all too infrequently the quality of what was on offer was woefully below what I would regard as tolerable. Mediocre (or worse) singing, daft or shoddy productions - and the 'experience' of opera-going (posh folk, posh clothes, the snobby atmosphere) is a complete turn-off for me. The 'strike rate' was just too low - I'm not prepared to go to a dozen things in the hope of one brilliant experience - and I haven't been for years.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

... worries me a lot.
                I can't see instantly how the funding the British Fed of Brass Bands affects directly the financial situation of Grimethorpe's outstanding outfit

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I'm inclined to agree with you.

Over the years, I've had a few mind-blowing experiences in opera houses, and I'm fortunate to be able to pay top dollar for something I really want to see/hear. Trouble is, all too infrequently the quality of what was on offer was woefully below what I would regard as tolerable. Mediocre (or worse) singing, daft or shoddy productions - and the 'experience' of opera-going (posh folk, posh clothes, the snobby atmosphere) is a complete turn-off for me. The 'strike rate' was just too low - I'm not prepared to go to a dozen things in the hope of one brilliant experience - and I haven't been for years.
                  I do know what you mean about silly productions. I'm finding them offputting, too, and ENO has been guilty of some of the worst. I don't agree about the 'posh' bit, though. That's only true if you sit in expensive seats at Covent Garden or possibly the Coliseum, and even then there are plenty of genuine music lovers who are there for the opera, not the ambience. Opera in the provinces (or do we have to say 'regions' now?) is not like that at all, and nor is it in the cheaper seats in London.

Comment

I so agree about the productions - the biggest dread about going to any opera for me and there have been some real shockers at WNO over the years. I don't think the "posh/snob" image has been completely overcome by any means. I have been impressed by several Glyndebourne productions that have been shown on screen or at the cinema but I wouldn't even think of going there because I would feel out of place if I didn't conform to the dress code, which I would hate to do. That shouldn't be the case in the C21. I wish opera could be completely stripped of that image and I really admire what Graham Vick has been doing at Birmingham, which seems to be aiming to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Over the years, I've had a few mind-blowing experiences in opera houses,
                      Yes, but what were the operas like?

and I'm fortunate to be able to pay top dollar for something I really want to see/hear. ... and the 'experience' of opera-going (posh folk, posh clothes, the snobby atmosphere) is a complete turn-off for me.
                      Perhaps if you didn't pay 'top dollar', but went to the cheaper seats with the plebs & students (& young people generally) you wouldn't find any 'posh' folk & clothes, or snobby atmosphere. I go regularly to Scottish Opera - and sit in the stalls - & I've not experienced any of the off-putting things you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          I can't see instantly how the funding the British Fed of Brass Bands affects directly the financial situation of Grimethorpe's outstanding outfit
                          I'm not au fait with how bands are funded, but I imagine that the Federation makes grants for instruments etc. and maybe towards the general funding of member (amateur) bands.
                          My point (if I had one) was the startling gulf in the valuation by the Arts Council of the two branches of music. It would be interesting to know how many people enjoy live Brass Band music each year and how it compares with the number who enjoy live opera.
                          My favourite allusion to Grand Opera was made by Andy Hamilton, and the late Alan Coren during a News Quiz some years agoe. The question was about Opera being short of cash
                          Andy Hamilton's solution was that each piece of information should only be sung once, and Alan Coren said that while Turandot was being performed on stage, The Magic Flute could be performed simultaneously on stilts.

Comment

I was doing that gag in my head as I wrote the line - or re-wrote... it was even more ambiguous as previously drafted

Perhaps if you didn't pay 'top dollar', but went to the cheaper seats with the plebs & students (& young people generally) you wouldn't find any 'posh' folk & clothes, or snobby atmosphere. I go regularly to Scottish Opera - and sit in the stalls - & I've not experienced any of the off-putting things you mention.
                            The thing is, I tend to get most out of concerts and operas quite close up. And with opera, the maximum impact from the production is often from the stalls (the Jessye Norman "Ariadne" in the 80s a classic case in point - I went back 'upstairs' and it wasn't anything like the same experience).

Also at 6' 5" tall, "the Gods" when I've been there were akin to medieval torture...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm not au fait with how bands are funded, but I imagine that the Federation makes grants for instruments etc. and maybe towards the general funding of member (amateur) bands.
                              My point (if I had one) was the startling gulf in the valuation by the Arts Council of the two branches of music. It would be interesting to know how many people enjoy live Brass Band music each year and how it compares with the number who enjoy live opera.
                              My favourite allusion to Grand Opera was made by Andy Hamilton, and the late Alan Coren during a News Quiz some years agoe. The question was about Opera being short of cash
                              Andy Hamilton's solution was that each piece of information should only be sung once, and Alan Coren said that while Turandot was being performed on stage, The Magic Flute could be performed simultaneously on stilts.
                              I know that in its early days, the National Lottery Charities Board now The Big Lottery Fund) used to be inundated with funding requests from brass and marching bands for uniforms and instruments. One of the questions that arose was were the instruments the property of the band (to be handed down to subsequent generations of band members) or the property of the players themselves.

Love the idea of The Magic Flute on stilts - surely that's old hat these days tho'?

Comment

Working...
                              X