Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An update to this thread. I'm lucky enough to have this available via my County Library Service - FOR FREE! But - if your County Lib does not provide, then if you can get to the Barbican Library in London, - at the time of writing there is no residential requirement to join the Barbican library. Or maybe you nearest Library service that provides it does not have a residential requirement? Educational institutions may provide access, or it can be subscribed to. You do have to enter Library card numbers at present, and go in via your Library link. (And BTW try omitting letters at the beginning and / or end of card nos if it doesn't work first time).

The Library has an astonishing spread of labels. Notable omissions include Hyperion and Testament, Phillips and others (I think eg ECM).

Just by googling, and finding the home page, you can get a 15 minute trial very easily, just by clicking through). Look for the Box down the right of the page "Free Preview".
    https://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com/ho...Fdefault%2Easp

There is a label list on the ring menu (grey bar across the web page) near the top. Also on the ring menu there is advanced search. Be persistent with searches, particularly if searching for a recording on a label listed as being there. Try just the label plus one other criteria. Or any two criteria. Or just the label, and then choose the letter selection for composer. Try to find the catalogue number by Googling etc if you can. Try entering that on the Catalogue search tab of Advanced search. Try just the numbers and see what comes up. Try jugging with spaces between letters and numbers.

When entering the search boxes, then matches come up - useful for composers names etc. But when entering works or catalogue numbers, beware - even if you see what appears to be a match, it might be better to enter less characters manually and ensure you press the search button (by using a match offered in the pop up you might be limiting the search and missing your target). By persistence I've found many recordings, often those cited on this forum, which initially didn't show up.

Other advantages - a good percentage of the recordings have PDF booklets. You can set up personal playlists to retrieve what you have found if you end up using it much, might be useful. There is a guide to using playlists there, if followed carefully then you can store the details of your researches in folders, and then playlists. (One tip - set up a Folder first, for a main heading (e.g "Beethoven Symphonies" before you go into a recording and select save in a playlist).

As to quality, they say the standard streaming rate provided via Libraries is 128 Kbps (edit Aug 2018 - upgraded from 64kbs late 2016**). If you subscribe, you can pay a higher subscription for 320Kbps (edit - upgraded from 128kbs, as above**). I have no criticism of the replay quality, and have yet to try any comparison against a download or CD. In any case, it’s a great facility for try before you buy (or attempt to find) and for many recordings I am content to add them to my playlist for future re-visit (for example the Gibson Sibelius cycle on Chandos; the Bluebell Bjorling recordings).

I do hope this continues to be supported by Naxos, it’s a great resource.
    Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 16-02-19, 13:23. Reason: Aug 2016. re Bit Rates. Note their FAQ still lists the old rates.

Comment

I very often find recordings by dint of persistence - using a general internet search to establish the label and some details of all the performers for a recording alluded to.

And invariably now I don't use the Naxos ML search, but go in via the Label list (on the home page grey ring menu) then composer initial. Even when there are lots of pages for. e.g "B" it doesn't take too long to narrow down to the page or pages in question (skipping pages by using "Go to page X") and spot the recording I suspected they should have.
      Also - be aware, EMI is now listed under Warner Parlophone (usually) or Warner.
      Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 30-04-16, 08:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
        I very often find recordings by dint of persistence - using a general internet search to establish the label and some details of all the performers for a recording alluded to.

And invariably now I don't use the Naxos ML search, but go in via the Label list (on the home page grey ring menu) then composer initial. Even when there are lots of pages for. e.g "B" it doesn't take too long to narrow down to the page or pages in question (skipping pages by using "Go to page X") and spot the recording I suspected they should have.
        Also - be aware, EMI is now listed under Warner or Warner Parlophone.
        If on your travels round the library you can find the Gardiner recording of Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet, I'd be very grateful CS.

Thanks for the advice.
        ( they seem to have changed the search so that you now see a picture of the cover on the main results page).
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Sorry TS, it pains me to admit, but they don't have it. I'm not sure what the criteria are for the big labels.

I have kept some cut and pastes of the numerous recordings mentioned on forum threads which I have found on NML (which I found, mostly by the label listings) so my enthusiasm for NML is undiminished - as ever, not everything is on one online source.... I'll try to get them presentable and list some as an example....

Comment

Sorry TS, it pains me to admit, but they don't have it. I'm not sure what the criteria are for the big labels.

I have kept some cut and pastes of the numerous recordings mentioned on forum threads which I have found on NML (which I found, mostly by the label listings) so my enthusiasm for NML is undiminished - as ever, not everything is on one online source.... I'll try to get them presentable and list some as an example....
            The Gardiner R and J is on Spotify, but you can imagine what randomly timed adverts on the free version do to the work.......

TBF, it can be bought new for about a fiver..........
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

My enthusiasm for NML remains undiminished. I am reticent about continually referencing, in the other threads about recordings, pointing out that they are available on NML. Reticent because I am aware some do not or cannot access music via the internet, and also because only some of us are lucky to have membership of libraries which give the free access (although one could always pay individually, or get a Barbican membership when passing through London).
              So, I will, on a random basis (I stress random - time/opportunity/what appeals to me) post here details of recordings mentioned on other topic threads which are available on NML.
              The first I have listed below some deriving from BaL and other thread topics over the last 6 months or so. The most recent references, for the last few days, are at the bottom. I will add references to this post by editing, from time to time.

I posted info at #15 above. In #16 I suggested the label search, which is still the method I find quick and. more importantly, productive. Below I give the catalogue numbers (which work on the "Catalogue search" tab -via "Advanced Search" on the grey ring menu) - these I have tested. If using other catalogue numbers, and it draws a blank, then try putting in a space e.g between letters and numbers. Or, for example in the case of BIS, leave a space in place of a hyphen so BIS-SACD-1604 becomes BIS SACD 1604 - and that finds the recording. Make sure to press the Search button rather than adopting popups (unless exactly your cat no.)/

++++++++++++++++
              ELGAR, E.: Enigma Variations / VAUGHAN WILLIAMS, R.: Symphony No. 6 (Bavarian Radio Symphony, C. Davis)
              Catalogue No.: 900705
              ++++++++++++++
              BEETHOVEN, L. van: Symphonies
              (Royal Philharmonic, R Leibowitz -RCA for Readers Digest) . LABEL - Chesky - letter B (all the symphonies are there).

Immerseel. Anima Eterna Brugge. Zig-Zag Territoires Cat: ZZT080402.6

Orchestra of the 18th Century, Bruggen) (Rotterdam, 2011) Glossa
              GCDSA921116

Krivine . La Chambre Philharmonique. Naïve Cat No. V5258

Deutsche Grammophon - Many recordings - Gardiner ORR cycle, Karajan, Kleiber, Abbado . Find Deutsche G the Label list (grey ring menu on home page) - Letter B, Symphonies from page no. 20 onwards

Warner Parlophone (EMI to me - and you?) And many other recordings of symphonies by Kempe, Giulini, Klemperer. Cycles (it seems, not thoroughly checked but sampled) -Mackerras RLPO, Karajan PO, Muti.
              Cluytens BPO 5099964830353
              Rattle VPO 0724355744555
              And many other recordings of symphonies by Kempe, Giulini, Klemperer.

Honeck Pittsburgh Syms 5 & 7 Reference Recordings FR-718SACD

+++++++++++++++
              MOZART, W.A.: Requiem / Kyrie, K. 341 (Bonney, Otter, Blochwitz, Monteverdi Choir, English Baroque Soloists, Gardiner)
              Catalogue No.: 00028942019720
              +++++++++++++++
              IVES, C.: Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4 / The Unanswered Question / Central Park in the Dark (Seattle Symphony Chorus and Orchestra, Morlot) Catalogue No.: SSM1009
              +++++++++3
              IVES, C.: Symphony No. 2 / CARTER, E.: Instances / GERSHWIN, G.: An American in Paris (Seattle Symphony, Morlot) Catalogue No.: SSM1003
              +++++++++
              Elgar, Edward Violin Sonata in E Minor, Op. 82 Kennedy, Nigel
              Label: Chandos Catalogue No.: CHAN8380
              ++++++++++++++
              MENDELSSOHN, Felix: Symphony No. 5, "Reformation"
              Fey Haenssler Classic Heidelberg Catalogue No.: CD98 547
              Krivine Naïve Catalogue No.: V5069
              Gardiner VPO Deutsche Grammophon Catalogue No.: 00028945915623
              Davis, Colin; Dresden Staatskapelle Label: Profil Catalogue No.: PH05048
              Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra; Litton, Andrew Label: BIS Cat No.: BIS SACD 1604
              Ed Gardner CBSO Chandos Catalogue No.: CHSA5132
              Maag, Peter; Madrid Symphony Orchestra Label: ARTS Music Cat No.: ARTS47508-2
              Fischer, Ivan; Hungarian State Orchestra Label: Hungaroton Catalogue No.: HCD12414
              ================================================== ==
              In answer to Karafan :
              PH13007 Bruckner "The Collection" - has the study Symph and No.0 (but by Tintner). (As Karafan refers, there is a Profil disc of OO by Schaller - but it is not on NML - there is a musicweb review of it http://www.musicweb-international.co...00_PH15004.htm )

PH15035 BRUCKNER, A.: Symphony No. 0, "Nullte" (ed. L. Nowak) (Philharmonie Festiva, Schaller)

Shostakovich 8th Symph Previn LSO Warner (EMI) Cat : 5099950902453

ALPHA232 LUTOSŁAWSKI, W. : Concerto for Orchestra / Little Suite / Symphony No. 4 (North German Radio Symphony, Urbański)
              +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              BRUCKNER Symphony No 8 (added to post 22/04)
              ON DGG
              Giulini VPO 1890 Nowak DGG 00028941512420
              Vienna Philharmonic, K. Böhm 1890 Nowak 00028946308127
              Dresden Staatskapelle, Sinopoli 1890 Nowak. 00028944774429
              Vienna Philharmonic, Boulez Haas 1887/1890 00028945967820
              Vienna Philharmonic, Karajan Haas 1887 /1890 00028942761124
              Munich Philharmonic, Knappertsbusch 0002894712112
              Skrowaczewski Saarbruken Radio SO.. Oehms OC217) (For more of his Bruckner - Label - Oehms - letter B - page 10 of 10)

Other Bruckner :
              Skrowaczewski Symphony No. 7 LPO Live Cat no LPO-0071
              Skrowaczewski : Symphony No. 3 LPO Live Cat no LPO-0084
              Skrowaczewski Symphony No. 9 Minnesota Orchestra, Reference Recordings RR-81CD
              Bohm . Bavarian RSO. Symphony No. 7 (1977) Audite95.494

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              MARTINU. Symphonies Nos. 1-6 (BBC Symphony, Belohlavek) Onyx NYX4061

RAVEL Orchestral Music (Complete) (Tonhalle Zürich. Bringuier) DGG 00028947955269

Barenboim, Berlin Staatskapelle ; ELGAR; Sym 1 , DECCA Cat 00028947893547
              Barenboim, Berlin Staatskapelle ; ELGAR; Sym 1 , DECCA Cat 00028947866794

DVOŘÁK, A.: Svatá Ludmila (St. Ludmilla) [Oratorio] (Aghová, Breedt, Beczala, Cologne West German Radio Chorus and Orchestra, G. Albrecht) Cat No C513992H (PDF booklet available)

Haydn string quartet No. 66 in G Major, Op. 77, No. 1, Hob.III:81 Quatuor Mosaiques Label: Naive Cat No.: E8800 (Their 6 Discs of Hayden string quartets are there -Label List from the ring menu, Naive, then letter "H", page 2)

JANÁČEK Glagolitic Mass etc. Bergen Philharmonic, Ed. Gardner Chandos Cat No. CHSA5165

JANÁČEK Glagolitic Mass etc. Mackerras Danish National RSO & Choir Chandos Catalogue No.: CHAN9310

MAHLER, Sym 1, Bav RSO , Kubelik) (1979) Audite Cat No Audite95.467
              Same work, same forces (no date info) Cat No. Audite10.022

CLARA SCHUMANN: Variationen uber eina Thema von R. Schumann, Op. 20 (Complete Piano Works, CPO Cat No. 999758-2

MAHLER Symphony No 5
              Building Library Choice - Vienna PO Bernstein Cat. No. 00028942360822
              Deutsche G label - Letter "M" - Pages 4 / 5 . Also by Chicago Symphony, Abbado; Berlin Philharmonic, Abbado; Simón Bolívar Youth Orch Dudamel ; Vienna PO, Boulez on these pages.

Kubelik Bavarian RSO; Label Audite Cat No: Audite95.465 (The label image shows it is the 12.06.1981 recording).
              Neumann ; Leipzig Gewandhaus Berlin Classics (Letter "M", page 1) Catalogue No.: 0185502BC
              Neumann ; Leipzig Gewandhaus Decca Cat No 00028942663824
              Norrington Stuttgart RSO Label: SWR Klassik Catalogue No.: CD93.165
              Barbirolli New Philharmonia O Label: Warner Classics - Parlophone Catalogue No.: 0724356691056 ; (GROC)
              (or Letter "M"- pages 4/5 - 4 x Barbirolli entries, 3 x Tennstedt) (Mackerras RLPO Catalogue No.: 0077776378152).
              Tennstedt; North German RSO Label: Profil Catalogue No.: PH13058
              Chailly; Royal CO ; Label Decca; Cat Nos 00028945886022 or 00028948202980
              Walter NYPO Sony Cat No 074646445129

Faure Requiem
              Equilbey; Accentus Chamber Choir; Maitrise de Paris; Label: Naive Cat No.: V5137 (Caliban's choice)
              Cleobury, King's College Warner Classics - Parlophone Cat No.: 0077774988056
              (Caliban interpolates the Pie Jesu here in his preferred recording) .
              Fremaux; Bell; Burrowes; Rayner Cook: CBSOrchestra; Warner Classics - Parlophone Cat No.: 0724357472852 (Eine A's favourite)

Nørgård, Per. Symphonies 4 & 5. Oslo PO; Storgårds Label: Dacapo Cat No.: 6.220646 (
              Other Norgards Symphs : label list --> Label: Dacapo --> Initial "N" --> Page 4)

MOZART: Requiem (New Siberian Singers, MusicAeterna, Currentzis)
              (Different style and approach (on a quick listen) sections played by James Rhodes on Saturday Classics 20/08/16)). Cat No.: ALPHA178

HANDEL, G.F.: Brockes-Passion (Neumann) Collegium Cartusianum; Cologne Chamber Choir (has PDF booklet !) (rec Review 17/08/16)
              Cat No.: Carus83.428 (Numerous other Carus Handel on - Label - initial H)

(Last additions Mozart Req and Handel Brockes Passion.

18 September - this post has reached the limitof 10,000 characters. Continued in post #24...........
              Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 18-09-16, 16:39. Reason: Last additions are shown in italic (last additions specified immediately above in Bold),

Comment

Does the Naxos online still exist, or has it morphed into ClassicsOnline? I am a huge fan of the latter and have taken out a yearly subscription

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  Does the Naxos online still exist, or has it morphed into ClassicsOnline? I am a huge fan of the latter and have taken out a yearly subscription
                  No - NML still exists and is separate from Classics Online.
                  https://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com/ho...Fdefault%2Easp

I think it was conceived for educational institutions but individuals can subscribe if they can't get access (in UK some library services provide it). I suppose its "behind the curve" but look at the label list**. Its a great resource, it would be a shame if it was "improved" and became a shadow of its former self.....

Postscript 18 Sept: On re-reading RF's post, I see this is ambiguous. At the last edit - I have made it clear - Naxos ML does still exist.
                  Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 18-09-16, 16:34. Reason: ** Sorry - you need to be into NML to see it (logged in or the 15 min trial).

Comment

My posts no #21 has hit the limit of 10,000 characters. I'll continue posting recordings found on Naxos ML, from mentions on the board and Record Review - but only those that catch my attention, when I have time to look for them (so somewhat hit and miss). And I refer you to my posts #16, #17, #21 above with more as to how to use the NML.

MAHLER, G.: Symphony No. 10 (performing version by D. Cooke) (Seattle Symphony, Dausgaard) Seattle Symphony Media Cat No SSM1011
                    (http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...870#post579870 - #4168 on page 417 )

Vocal Recital: Forrester, Maureen - MAHLER, G. / LOEWE, C. / WAGNER, R. / BRAHMS, J. / SCHUBERT, F. / SCHUMANN, R. (1955-1963)
                    Cat No Audite21.437 (Mentioned in above thread, also)

VERDI, G.: Ballo in maschera (Un) [Opera] (Pavarotti, Cappuccilli, G. Lechner, Schemtschuk, Nádor, Vienna State Opera Chorus and Orchestra, Abbado)
                    Orfeo Cat No.: C907162I ( NB Last character is I )
                    (Very positive Gramophone review)

Copeland. Old American Songs. CSO/ Warfield. Appears to be on:-
                    COPLAND CELEBRATION (A), Vol. 3 (from the cover image)
                    Label: Sony Classical Catalogue No.: 696998932920.
                    (Many Copeland recordings to be found choose LABEL from Ring Menu – “Sony Classical” – initial “C” -pages 14 and 15 )

BRUCKNER - Early Symphonies { http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...phonies-No-1-3 }

SWR Klassik - only 1 Norrington Bruckner 3rd. (pages 5 - 6 under "B" on Label listing - SWR Klassik). (also Gielen Sym 1 to 9).

Profil label (pages 4 - 5 under "B" in label listing -has the Gerd Schaller Set Symphonies 1-3

Simone Young (Hamburg Orch) - Symphonies from Study, 0, 1 on are available under Label - Oehms - (pages 9 - 10 under "B" )

Nézet-Séguin / Bruckner Syms 3 to 9 (except 5) on ATMA Classique label - Label list- Letter B - page 5

Karajan BPO Bruckner Symphonies 1 - 9 . DG. Catalogue No.: 00028947775805 (or Label - Deutsche Grammophon - "B" - Page 55)
                    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                    Per http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...+Metamorphosen

Label - Decca - initial "S" page 29
                    STRAUSS, R.: Metamorphosen (Vienna Philharmonic, Previn) Decca Cat No.: 00028942016026
                    STRAUSS, R.: Lieder (Te Kanawa, Vienna Philharmonic, Solti) . Cat No 00028943051125
                    +++++++++++++++++

FALSTAFF - ELGAR (Building a Library 8/10/2016)
                    1st choice - Handley LPO. Label - Warner Parlophone - Initial "E" page 3. Cat No : 0724357372251

"Barbirolli Conducts Elgar"
                    Label Warner Parlophone - Initial "B" page 15. Cat no: 509990954445

(Also remember the Elgar conducting will be available on the Naxos Label there and also " EDWARD, E.: Elgar Edition (The), Vol. 1. Label - Warner Parlophone - Initial "E" page 1. Cat no 0094639774357

(Mackerras LPO - cannot trace in NML

ELGAR, E.: Starlight Express (The): Vernon Handley: Hammond-Stroud ; Masterson, Warner Classics - Parlophone - initial "E" page 4 on label listing, Cat. No.: 0724358590753 (Thread http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...rlight-Express )

Tchaikovsky Project (The) - Symphony No. 6, "Pathétique" / Romeo and Juliet: Fantasy Overture (Czech Philharmonic, Bychkov)
                    Decca Cat No.: 00028948306572 (Label - Decca - Initial "T" page 8)

STRAVINSKY, I.: Rake's Progress (Building Library choice 05.11.2016)
                    (P. Langridge, C. Pope, S. Ramey, S. Dean, W. Walker, J. Dobson, London Sinfonietta and Chorus, Chailly)
                    Decca (Label - Decca , Initial "S"; Page 35) Cat No 00028947570059

Bruckner: The Symphonies. , Riccardo Chailly (Conductor), Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester. / Concertgebow Orchestra. (note - per the image of the back cover on Amazon, nos 0,1,3,7 are by the Deutsches SO - the rest are by the Concertgebow.
                    Label Decca, Initial "B" page 52. Cat no 00028947533122

FRICKER, P.R.: Vision of Judgement (The) / Symphony No. 5. (Manning, R. Tear, Leeds Festival Chorus, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, Colin Davis). Label - Lyrita "Initial "F" page 1 (of 1) . Cat no: REAM1124) With PDF booklet.

Building Lib Choice BACH, J.S.: (Lutheran) Masses - BWV 233, 236 / O Jesu Christ, mein Lebens Licht (Pygmalion, Pichon)
                    Label ALPHA Initial "B" Page 2. Cat No: ALPHA170. (Also - the Suzuki recordings will almost certainly be available on the BIS label pages).

Building Lib Choice 03/12/16 - HAYDN: Symph No 99
                    HAYDN, F.J.: Symphonies Nos. 93-104 (London Symphonies) (Les Musiciens du Louvre, Minkowski) Label: Naïve. Initial 'H' on label list, page 2. Catalogue No.: V5176
                    Others:
                    Norrington - Symphonies Nos. 93-104, "London Symphonies" (South West German Radio Symphony Orch)
                    Label: SWR Classic . Initial 'H' on label list, page 1. Cat. No.: CD93.252. (Mentioned in thread)

Bruggen Orchestra of the 18th Century. Label: Decca. Initial 'H' on label list, page 11. Cat No.: 00028946854624 (Mentioned in thread)
                    (Also & incidentally the Dantone recordings (not no.99) are on page 10 - HAYDN, J.: Symphonies Nos. 78-81 (Accademia Bizantina, Dantone)
                    (The Kuijken does not show up on DHM on Naxos ML )

RACHMANINOV, S.: Trio élégiaque No. 2 (C. Tetzlaff, T. Tetzlaff, Pizarro) Label: CAvi-music Initial "R" page 1; Cat.No. : CAvi8553335

ARENSKY, A.S.: Piano Trio No. 1 / TCHAIKOVSKY, P.I.: Piano Trio, Op. 50 (Trio Wanderer) Label List: Harmonia Mundi ; Initial "A" page 1; Cat. No. : HMC902161
                    (Above two mentioned here #5101 page 511; http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...108#post591108

SCHUBERT, F.: Lieder (Der Wanderer) (R. Williams, Burnside) Label: Delphian - Initial "S" - Page 1 - Cat.No. : DCD34170
                    With translations in PDF booklet
                    (mentioned here, #401
                    http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...post591391#401

Hvorostovsky, Dmitri - PROKOFIEV, S. / TCHAIKOVSKY, P.I / RUBINSTEIN, A. (Dmitri Hvorostovsky Sings of War, Peace, Love and Sorrow) Label; Delos, Initial "V" (for Vocal Recital) Page 3. Cat No: DE3517 (Also 2 other recitals by him on pages 3/2). (per very positive comments at #5173 on http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...Now-II/page518 ).

TCHAIKOVSKY : Violin Concerto ( & SIBELIUS) Batiashvili, Berlin Staatskapelle, Barenboim
                    Label Deutsche Grammophon, Initial "T", page 9. Cat No : 00028947960393

BaLibrary 11/02/17
                    Choice - BACH, J.S.: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 (Keohane, Lunn, A. Potter, Kobow, P. Harvey, Concerto Copenhagen, L.U. Mortensen) Label : CPO , Initial "B" Page 3. Cat No: 777851-2

Honourable Mentions:
                    (J. Smith, Chance, Netherlands Chamber Choir, Orchestra of the 18th Century, Brüggen)
                    Decca Initial 'B' page 7 (of 59) Cat No: 00028948000982

(Taverner Consort, Players, Parrott) . Label - Erato Parlophone , Initial 'B' page 4. 2 entries , Cat Nos : 0724356199859 and (2nd entry) 0724356133754

=============
                    Sibelius: Lemminkäinen Legends, Op. 22; Tapiola, Op. 1122003
                    by Jean Sibelius, Leif Segerstam and Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra
                    Label: Ondine, Initial 'S' page 5. Cat No: ODE852-2
                    =============
                    MENDELSSOHN, Felix: Symphonies Nos. 1 and 4, "Italian" (London Symphony, Gardiner)
                    LSO0769 Label - LSO Live Initial : 'M' page 1

=============
                    BRUCKNER Sym No. 3 (1877.Nowak) (VPO Haitink) Label List: Decca - Initial "B" page 55. Cat No: 00028947847953

Symphony No. 3 (1877 version, ed. L. Nowak) (Dresden Staatskapelle, Sinopoli)
                    00028943168427 page 55 of B
                    =============
                    BARRETT, R.: life-form / nacht und träume / Blattwerk (Deforce, Delges, Yutaka Oya) Letter "B" page 1
                    AECD1648 aeon Catalogue No.: AECD1648
                    http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...125#post596125 (Composer member/poster on forum)
                    =============
                    Also this has reached the Orfeo pages
                    VERDI, G.: Ballo in maschera (Un) [Opera] (Pavarotti, Cappuccilli, G. Lechner, Schemtschuk, Nádor, Vienna State Opera Chorus and Orchestra, Abbado) Live Recording: 26th October 1986. Orfeo Label - Initial "V" page 1, Catalogue No.: C907162I Release Date: 2016

“[Pavarotti] was on some form this evening, fearless in the high tessitura of the ‘Teco io sto’ duet…the second hero of this performance is Claudo Abbado, who piles on the tension without ever pressing too much…there’s no shortage of emotion but little sentimentality…I would place this set very high up the recommendable list for this opera” Gramophone Magazine, July 2016
                    =============
                    Svetlanov - SHOSTAKOVICH, D.: Symphony No. 10 (USSR SSO, Svetlanov)
                    Label: Melodiya ; Initial 'S', page 3 Cat No: 888003493483
                    http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...404#post604404 (Post #62)

Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 13-02-17, 10:05. Reason: Latest additions in Italics.

Comment

There is a banner message on the NML home page - that from 1 November 2016, the bit rate has been increased to 128kbs on the standard service (the one I access via my public library ticket) and 320kbs for customers paying for the higher quality.

I haven't listened critically to form an opinion of the difference. I wonder whether it was already at higher bit rates as it seemed to be surprisingly good quality.

Also - on the "new additions" on the home page I've noticed Supraphon adding titles including the Ancerl Gold edition.

Comment

ClassicsOnline is o more, after December 1

Comment

There is a banner message on the NML home page - that from 1 November 2016, the bit rate has been increased to 128kbs on the standard service (the one I access via my public library ticket) and 320kbs for customers paying for the higher quality.

I haven't listened critically to form an opinion of the difference. I wonder whether it was already at higher bit rates as it seemed to be surprisingly good quality.

Also - on the "new additions" on the home page I've noticed Supraphon adding titles including the Ancerl Gold edition.
                          Thanks for keeping us up to date with developments CS

Comment

UPDATE:
                            I've not added to the post above recently, but have added a few items today to post #24, spurred on by the B minor Mass BaL.

A few additional finds on NML :
                            The Decca Label (and Warner Parlophone) has pages of their Vocal recital discs. Search on the Label, then under the initial 'V' and then find Vocal Recitals

The Icon box sets - You will find these on the Label: Warner Parlophone, on the page initial "I" and then find "Icons".

ADDITION 20 April 2017:
                            The ICON series box sets - Label - Warner Classics - Parlophone - Initial "I" - 48 boxes (sorry no PDF booklets) from Alexis Weissenberg to Wolfgang Sawallisch http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...e-to-see/page3 (see comment - #29).

POST #24 is now too long, so some items found in NML continued here:

Miloslav Kabeláč - Symphonies Prague RSO, Marko Ivanovic.
                            #94 here www.for3.org/forums/showthread.php?16961-What-Are-You-listening-to-Now-III&p=617454#post617454 ("this is wonderful music").
                            LABEL: Supraphon; Initial "K" (page 1); Cat No: SU4202-2 (No Booklet; Back cover Image only).
                            ===================================
                            Just to say the BRITISH COMPOSERS (EMI as was, box sets) series is listed on NML.
                            A Celebration 5099909548053; BLISS, A. -
                            5099902901855 ; BRITTEN, B. / WALTON, W. / TIPPETT, M. - V
                            5099909539556 ; ELGAR, E. / STANFORD, C.V. / PARRY, C.H. - 5099909542259 ;
                            VAUGHAN WILLIAMS, R. / FINZI, G. / HOLST, G. - 5099909543355
                            British Composers: Britten, Berkeley and Rubbra 5099902900650; British Light Classics
                            Label: Warner Parlophone Initial "B" (page 57); Cat nos - above
                            BRITTEN, B.: Young Apollo / Lachrymae / Prelude and Fugue / Serenade (Däunert, A. Clayton, R. Watkins, Aldeburgh Strings)
                            LABEL: Linn ; Initial "B" (page 3). Cat No: CKD478
                            #8 : http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...768#post617768

Messiaen: Turangalila Symphonie [Hannu Lintu, Angela Hewitt, Valérie Hartmann-Claverie Label: Ondine; Initial "M" page 2; Cat No: ODE 1251-5
                            #201: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...ntu#post618620

PROKOFIEV, S.: Piano Concertos Nos. 1-5 (Krainev, Moscow Philharmonic, Kitayenko)
                            Label: Melodiya; Initial "P" page 5; Cat no: MELCD1002227 (BAL 06/05/17)
                            Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 06-05-17, 12:12. Reason: Recent additions in Italics

Comment

After a long interval (sorry, presently, life only gets busier.....) just to add this set to the thread:

[I]Bruckner Symphonies 2 - 9. Rosbaud, Hans
                              SWRO SO, Label: SWR Classic - Initial "B" page 5.
                              Catalogue No.: SWR19043CD (with PDF booklet and CD inlay image)

Per this thread http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...269#post643269 #1632

TCHAIKOVSKY
                              Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 35 Radulović, Nemanja (Violin)
                              Borusan Istanbul Philharmonic Orchestra
                              Goetzel, Sascha (Conductor)
                              Naxos Music Library - Label: Deutsche Grammophon; Initial "T" page 9; Cat.No : 00028947980902

per #33 on this thread http://http://www.for3.org/forums/sh...009#post644009
                              [I]
                              Good number of today's (28/10/2017) new recordings on Rec Review can be accessed on NML ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09bwvcw )

Building a Library Choice
                              DOWLAND, J.: Lachrimae, "Seaven Teares" (E. Kenny, Phantasm)
                              Label - Linn Initial - D; Page - 1 Cat.No. CKD527

Recent issues
                              TCHAIKOVSKY, P.I.: Symphony No. 6, "Pathétique" (MusicAeterna, Currentzis)
                              Label - Sony Classical Initial - T; Page - 7; Cat.No. : 886446239934

Vocal Recital (Mezzo-Soprano): Crebassa, Marianne - DEBUSSY, C. / RAVEL, M. / FAURÉ, G. / DUPARC, H. / SAY, F. (Secrets) . Erato - Parlophone. Unable to find via Label - Initial - Page.
                              Use Ring menu (grey bar near top of Home Page) - Advanced Search - Catalogue Number (1 of the 3 tabs there) " 190295768645 " finds the Recording.

Mozart ;Requiem; Jacobs RIAS; Label -Harmonia Mundi; Initial -M; Page -8; Cat.No.:HMM902291DI Rec Review Feature 28/10/17

TCHAIKOVSKY, P.I.: Symphony No. 6, "Pathétique" (MusicAeterna, Currentzis) Label -Sony Classical Initial -T; Page -7; Cat.No. : 886446239934

After a Long interregnum :-
                              BRUCKNER, A.: Symphonies Nos. 1-9 (Vienna Symphony, Andreae) (1953)
                              Label: Music and Arts Programs of America
                              Catalogue No.: CD-1227 (With PDF booklet of 20 pages in English)
                              (from the Ring Menu (grey bar near top of Home page) Label - per above (List of labels) --> Initial "L", page 7 of 8.
                              http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...light=Bruckner (A JLW find; #173 et al )

ADDITION - OCTOBER 2018
                              I spotted an Everest Recording of Boult/LPO - Job (RVW) - in the new Releases listing. I now see there are about a 100 recordings on the Everest Label pages - a lot of Krips, Stokowski etc.

Addition - November 2018:
                              BAL 01.12.2018. I decided to see which of those listed by Eine Alpensinfonie on post #1 were available on NML. On a (comparatively) quick look:

Oslo Philharmonic Wind Soloists (Naxos)

Mackerras . Label: Warner Classics - Parlophone (Classics for Pleasure) .
                              Catalogue No.: 0724357400459
                              Serenade in D

KERTÉSZ, István: London Years (The)
                              Orch version Ser. in D. Label: Decca Catalogue No.: 00028947867265
                              Moyse, Louis :BMC Wind Ensemble
                              Label: Lyrichord Classical Catalogue No.: LYRCD6037

Sabine Meyer Wind Ensemble
                              Label: CAvi-music Catalogue No.: CAvi8553014D (with booklet)

Graham, Lowell; National Chamber Players
                              Label: Klavier Catalogue No.: KCD-11126

Marlboro Festival Wind Ensemble (note - may or may not be cond. Marcel Moyse)
                              Label: Sony Classical Catalogue No.: 074646241226
                              Stockholm Symphonic Wind Orchestra
                              Caprice Catalogue No.: CAP21384

Stotter, Douglas; University of Texas Arlington Wind Symphony
                              Label: Mark Records Catalogue No.: 51930-MCD

Swedish Serenade Ensemble
                              Label: Palette Catalogue No.: PALCD-983

Using the Advanced Search Tab - and searching
                              Composer / Arranger / Lyricist : Dvorak
                              Title : Serenade in D

There are approximately 50 recordings - no doubt including the above, also the Nash Ensemble, and the Warren-Greene on Chandos. They will include duplications, orchestral versions and a number are buried in compilations. But nonetheless, it may yield yet other recordings….

Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 23-11-18, 11:18.

Comment

I share your enthusiasm for NML and appreciate your updates CS.
                                The new Andrew Davis Antartica from Chandos is in there already

Comment

Working...
                                X