This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Shops that drop apostrophes tend to be the ones with annoying piped music: Currys, Morrisons and even Waterstones.
    Classic stuff in the recent 'Fast Show' resurrection shows, in the 'Swiss Toni' sketches..

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

On yesterday's Today, someone made an admittance that they had been wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        On yesterday's Today, someone made an admittance that they had been wrong.
        ... an old use. OED has - "the action of admitting the truth (of a tenet), either from conviction or for argument's sake".
        1589 Puttenham Eng. Poesie This figure is much vsed by our English pleaders... which they call to confesse and auoid... I call it the figure of admittance.
        1635 J Swan Spec. Mundi v. ยง2 (1643) 165 We fall into other absurdities upon the admittance of this tenet.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... an old use. OED has - "the action of admitting the truth (of a tenet), either from conviction or for argument's sake".
          1589 Puttenham Eng. Poesie This figure is much vsed by our English pleaders... which they call to confesse and auoid... I call it the figure of admittance.
          1635 J Swan Spec. Mundi v. ยง2 (1643) 165 We fall into other absurdities upon the admittance of this tenet.
          Oh really? Got that wrong then; thanks vints

Comment

Oh really? Got that wrong then; thanks vints
            ... o no, I think you were right! - it's a usage most wd call "obsolete".

Comment

More apostrophe's - a sign in a local hairdresser informs passer's-by that "Appointments are not alway's necessary"

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                More apostrophe's - a sign in a local hairdresser informs passer's-by that "Appointments are not alway's necessary"
                The ways of Al, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  More apostrophe's

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Deliberate, I'm sure.

Comment

on Swiss Tonis's other sign I'm surprised he doesn't offer warranty's.

Comment

Deliberate, I'm sure.
                        Thanks S_A, and greengrocer's to you Alpen. I thought passer's-by should have given the game away

Comment

Does one...or should I say Juan.... (a) abdicate the throne or (b) abdicate from the throne?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            Does one...or should I say Juan.... (a) abdicate the throne or (b) abdicate from the throne?
                            I think abdicate means relinquish rather than resign. Certainly that seems to be how it's used. Therefore, I'd say abdicate the throne is better than abdicate 'from' the throne.

But.

'Abdicate' means (at least in present usage) to give up the throne. So 'abdicate the throne' would be a tautology. Abdicate is all that's needed.

Comment

SOED defines "abdicate" in modern usage as:
                              - verb trans. Give up (a right, responsibility, trust, office, or dignity) either formally or by default.
                              - verb intrans. Renounce sovereignty.
                              As Pab says, the intransitive verb says it all, because it only refers to a throne. It is not necessary to add an object unless referring to something else.

Comment

It was used (obviously wrongly) on R4 this morning in its 'abdicate the throne' form.

Comment

Working...
                                X