peanuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

The weird thing is - peanut allergies were only invented in the 1950s. Before 1900 nobody was allergic to nuts.

Comment

• MrBear
      • Mar 2007

I have a peanut allergy and have no problems with any other nuts or legumes.
      Really find annoying the lack of general understanding and unhelpful food labeling.
      Eating cashew nuts is weird they are too much like peanuts.
      I avoid almost all sweets/deserts/confectionary which doesn't bother me what does is when people treat me as though I am being awkward sorry just trying to stay alive
      Children teachers are really good with it
      I get the idea that allergies just weren't understood at all fifty odd years ago now they at least no what they are if not how to cure them

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MrBear View Post
        I have a peanut allergy and have no problems with any other nuts or legumes.
        Really find annoying the lack of general understanding and unhelpful food labeling.
        Eating cashew nuts is weird they are too much like peanuts.
        I avoid almost all sweets/deserts/confectionary which doesn't bother me what does is when people treat me as though I am being awkward sorry just trying to stay alive
        Children teachers are really good with it
        I get the idea that allergies just weren't understood at all fifty odd years ago now they at least no what they are if not how to cure them
        One theory a little while ago that was that the recent sudden peak in peanut allergy could be due to the use of peanut oil in creams for sore breasts/nipples. So breast-fed babies would be getting exposed to quite a complex, actually very dangerous (if it gets into the lungs) product at a time when all they should really be getting was mother's milk. so maybe not surprising if the immature body marks the card of peanuts for ever?

I think the producers of such creams have now removed peanut oil. Dunno when we should be seeing a change in the numbers of kids with the allergy...
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

may I ask Mr Bear if he would have been tempted to buy some Booths monkey nuts with their lack of 'contains peanuts' labels ?

[only your tenth post since joining in 2007 - that's very self-disciplined ]

Comment

• MrBear
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            may I ask Mr Bear if he would have been tempted to buy some Booths monkey nuts with their lack of 'contains peanuts' labels ?

[only your tenth post since joining in 2007 - that's
            very self-disciplined ]

Not tempted to try the monkey nuts
            I can't believe that anyone doesn't know monkey nuts are peanuts especially if they have a peanut allergy

Been trying to login to this site for ages but didn't know my logon details

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              The weird thing is - peanut allergies were only invented in the 1950s. Before 1900 nobody was allergic to nuts.
              It's not weird at all if there's any truth in the theory that messing with the immune system (which is what vaccination does) may cause unforeseen and apparently unrelated complications in the individual, even while it protects the general population.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by jean View Post
                It's not weird at all if there's any truth in the theory that messing with the immune system (which is what vaccination does) may cause unforeseen and apparently unrelated complications in the individual, even while it protects the general population.
                Absolutely, jean. Does this also help account for the increase in asthma sufferers over the last 60 years or so?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MrBear View Post
                  I can't believe that anyone doesn't know monkey nuts are peanuts
                  Not even the girl trying to feed cheese to her newborn baby recently?? Quite a lot of inner-city kids have a very limited grasp of meat and milk coming from animals on farms in the country
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Anna

Absolutely, jean. Does this also help account for the increase in asthma sufferers over the last 60 years or so?
                    Asthma is baffling in that there doesn’t seem to be one single cause. The UK has one of the highest rates of asthma along with USA, Australia and New Zealand. There was a dramatic increase in asthma in the 1980s and 1990s, increasing by 400% over 25 years. It used to be thought that the ‘Hygiene Hypothesis’ was significant in preventing asthma i.e., early exposure to certain bacteria may help children to develop effective immune systems and therefore be able to ward off allergies. That seems to have been dismissed..
                    Vaccine doubters point to the introduction of the MMR in 1988 and in 1997 the combined diphtheria, whooping cough and tetanus as a possible cause for asthma to increase. Now opinions are divided as to whether environment, lifestyle or obesity being main factor. (My mother was a strong believer that central heating, fitted carpets and lack of fresh air were responsible for all respiratory ills!)
                    Without vaccines we would still have polio, diphtheria and smallpox but just recently there was a whooping cough epidemic, not sure why but it was affecting a lot of adults.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Oh dear
                      I think you are somewhat mistaken
                      A bit like the media stories about the "epidemic" of autism etc
                      When I was at primary school in the 1970's there was a child in my class who nowadays would considered to display classic Aspergers Syndrome behaviours
                      BUT no one called it that then ..... so he wasn't
                      I'm sure that there were many people with allergies in the past (though many folk don't eat enough dirt as children these days IMV ) though i'm not sure that a diet of refined foods is healthy .......

When I went to a Romanian special school to work in 1989/90 there were almost NO children with Celebral Palsy of Downs Syndrome, it wasn't that somehow there were no people born with these conditions but rather they didn't survive.

I've met many adults who have autism yet haven't had a diagnosis , and consequently many have had unfulfilled and frustrating lives which nowadays isn't always the case..........

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        Oh dear
                        I think you are somewhat mistaken
                        A bit like the media stories about the "epidemic" of autism etc
                        When I was at primary school in the 1970's there was a child in my class who nowadays would considered to display classic Aspergers Syndrome behaviours
                        BUT no one called it that then ..... so he wasn't
                        I'm sure that there were many people with allergies in the past (though many folk don't eat enough dirt as children these days IMV ) though i'm not sure that a diet of refined foods is healthy .......

When I went to a Romanian special school to work in 1989/90 there were almost NO children with Celebral Palsy of Downs Syndrome, it wasn't that somehow there were no people born with these conditions but rather they didn't survive.

I've met many adults who have autism yet haven't had a diagnosis , and consequently many have had unfulfilled and frustrating lives which nowadays isn't always the case..........
                        Yeah, and in my class there was a kid who said he had sugar-diabetes. now we know there's no such thing.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

I suffer from a working for nuts (and peanuts)allergy!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Some schools ban children from bringing nuts in their packed lunches, just in case someone else who isn't eating the muts is allergic to them.

That's a step too far in my opinion.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Some schools ban children from bringing nuts in their packed lunches, just in case someone else who isn't eating the muts is allergic to them.

That's a step too far in my opinion.
                              the rules are a dogs dinner, Its true.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

I am (very) allergic to grass pollen. Should I insist that all lawns are concreted over?

Comment

Working...
                                X