No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday 24 May, BBC4: a good night for jazzers

... with a classical apéritif

All repeats but hey... (and some early morning re-runs for the dirty stop-outs )

19:30 – 20:00
    Concerto at the BBC Proms
    Mendelssohn Violin
    1/4 Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor, performed by violin soloist Janine Jansen. (R)

20:00 – 21:00
    Symphony
    Genesis and Genius
    1/4 Simon Russell Beale takes a look at the symphonic works of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven. (R)

21:00 – 22:00
    50s Britannia
    Trad Jazz Britannia
    2/2 Documentary looking at Britain's post-war infatuation with old New Orleans jazz.

22:00 – 22:40
    Jazz 625
    New Orleans clarinettist George Lewis with Acker Bilk's Paramount Jazz Band. (R)

22:40 – 23:40
    Smokey Dives
    Documentary showing how drab post-war Britain was enlivened by the trad-jazz scene. (R)

23:40 – 00:40
    Arena
    Sonny Rollins '74: Rescued!
    Newly-discovered film footage of tenor sax legend Sonny Rollins at Ronnie Scott's in 1974. (R)

00:40 – 01:40
    Omnibus
    Ronnie Scott and All That Jazz
    Documentary on the London venue opened in 1959 and now the heartbeat of British jazz. (R)

01:40 – 02:40
    50s Britannia
    Trad Jazz Britannia
    2/2 Documentary looking at Britain's post-war infatuation with old New Orleans jazz. (R)

02:40 – 03:40
    Smokey Dives
    Documentary showing how drab post-war Britain was enlivened by the trad-jazz scene. (R)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

I find Trad Jazz tedious in the extreme so I won't be watching. All that Kenny Ball and Aker Bilk stuff seemed so phoney when I was growing up, however well played. It is one of the few forms of music that I have never really warmed to.

I will record the Ronnie Scott and the Rollins programmes.

Comment

ditto
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Audustus View Post
        I find Trad Jazz tedious in the extreme so I won't be watching. All that Kenny Ball and Aker Bilk stuff seemed so phoney when I was growing up, however well played. It is one of the few forms of music that I have never really warmed to.
        I'm inclined to agree but I do recommend this one:

Smokey Dives
        Documentary showing how drab post-war Britain was enlivened by the trad-jazz scene

It's more about the era than the music (and anyway it's not just trad that gets a mention) - it's packed with footage of post-war London / England and reminiscences of the life of musicians then. Bit rude, some of it! It's more social history than musical, and I found it fascinating. Great telly
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
        X