No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    My thoughts exactly - such a shame - lazy predictable thinking
    Agree, horrid. Perhaps based on a supposition that only the Daily Mailigraph lot like English music.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Answer: People who across a whole range of subjects are too young and too ignorant to understand. But that's just my view.
      But most men of whatever age do not wear a bowtie with/out a Union Jack printed on it; even fewer women wear one.

If a design dullard like me can spot that a stylised outline of the British Isles with a treble clef superimposed on it would make a better 'logo', then we are in a bad way

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
        Agree, horrid. Perhaps based on a supposition that only the Daily Mailigraph lot like English music.
        Ahem...

Iss the Proms, innit? Will it be a Best of the Proms prog?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I assume we would be equally offended if it was a programme of all French music with a photo of a tricolor bow-tie [if such a thing exists]

I'm not sure I find it any worse than the representation of the union flag on a supermarket bag of British-grown apples - it's just a sort of shorthand symbolic identification

Now I think about it SH's first series of British-only music was around the time of the Queen's Accession anniversary and this series will be around the Coronation anniversary - it looks like a deliberate bit of flag-waving [by SH] to me
          Last edited by mercia; 25-05-13, 16:26.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            I assume we would be equally offended if it was a programme of all French music with a photo of a tricolor bow-tie [if such a thing exists]

I'm not sure I find it any worse than the representation of the union flag on a supermarket bag of British-grown apples - it's just a sort of shorthand symbolic identification
            I incline to your view, mercs. Didn't offend me... it's almost an ironic nod to the 'British Summer Season' cliché.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I think the English generally (as distinct from the British) don't feel a strong need to go round telling people they're British. In the case of music, I don't think patriotism comes into it: people simply appreciate the music and appreciate the chance to hear it. That bowtie conjures up images of British jingoism. No?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

"Blame the Hooligans, Not The Stadiums: The problems at Hillsborough, though Taylor was reluctant to say it, was one of hooliganism. However much it may outrage Liverpool, 95 Liverpool fans were killed by the thuggishness and ignorance of other Liverpool fans crushing into the ground behind them. It serves no purpose to prevent the fans who caused the crush from facing that responsibility"
                Heffer
                Sunday Telegraph 1991; quoted in "Media Impact after Hillsborough", Report of the Hillsborough Project
                which England do you think this person speaks for .... given the recent disclosures has any one come across a retraction from Heffer? if not why is this man on the air?
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

I started this thread about 90 seconds ago very interested.
                  Now I am teetering on disappointment by anticipation.

oh well, I can just head off here

I really dont see how I can listen to programmes presented by men in Union Jack bow ties.

have I got this wrong?

Edit: Just saw Jazzers post.
                  Just unbelievable.

Seriously, there must be loads of articulate, knowledgeable, employable people out there who know about British Music.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    That bowtie conjures up images of British jingoism. No?
                    Yes it does, a sort of flag-waving Hooray Henry bobbin' up and down at the Proms.
                    However, I remember enjoying Simon Heffer's last British Music programmes very much (I think there was quite a discussion about it here with all of the posts being appreciative) so I look foward to it.

Comment

I'm never quite sure when patriotism becomes jingoism - a flag is patriotic, a bow-tie is jingoistic

by exclusively featuring British music the programmes look rather jingoistic

Comment

It should be so simple.
                        A programme,say a couple of hours once a week,dedicated to the lesser heard British composers,featuring an introduction to,and playing of,complete works and introduced by,for example Martin Handley or one of the other more knowledgeable presenters.
                        No flags or bow ties needed.

Comment

I'm never quite sure when patriotism becomes jingoism - a flag is patriotic, a bow-tie is jingoistic
                          An interesting point. I tended to cringe when I saw Stars and Stripes in people's gardens in the USA. If I saw union flags similarly here I would be suspicious. If there's a sporting event where supporters 'sport their colours', that's custom. I take the view: if it's not called for, don't.

But the Daily Telegraph article seems to lead the way in using the image for the Proms and I assume that's the Radio 3 connection - even if the Proms don't play a huge amount of British music - it's British. But before we get too bigheaded, I also found this, with the same bowtie image:

"In many ways British Prom Night is the over-excitable younger sister of the fabulous American Prom. The USA have been enjoying Prom Nights for generations and they do it very, very well."

But relax, it's not talking about The Proms but an end of year school dance.

Comment

Agree the Calum piece is appalling and what we probably have is seen as a sort of win win. The Beeb gets a little right wing input to swing the balance marginally away from its perceived watery libel position and possibly lifts the Telewag and SH off its back for a week. SH can play DJ with his favourite, British as the flag, pieces.
                            Last edited by antongould; 25-05-13, 19:11. Reason: Gets stupid

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              Agree the Calum piece is appalling and what we probably have is seen as a sort of win win. The Beeb gets to get a little right wing input to swing the balance marginally away from its perceived watery libel position and possibly gets the Telewag and SH off its backfor a week. SH gets to play DJ with his favourite, British as the flag, pieces.
                              Well said AG.

Plus music of thought and passion gets sidelined, marginalised, used and abused.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I would like to hear British music covered the way in which British art is being covered by James Fox on BBC4 - right now!!

Apologies - at 8 pm

Comment

Working...
                                X