Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms 2011 - advance info on concerts

Given that people on this forum have pretty much sussed out the First Night and Prom 3 for the 2011 Proms, it might be a source of amusement to see what is scheduled on the first Monday and Tuesday evenings of the 2011 Proms. To give credit where credit is due, Andrew Clements in The Guardian put out the word first here:

From Simon Rattle's ubiquitous performances to a sneak preview of the BBC Proms, Andrew Clements looks forward to a year of classical treats

From the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France's site:

(a) The presumed program for Prom 5, Monday, July 18, 2011:

Retrouvez les radios en direct et replay, les podcasts originaux et la musique de France Inter, franceinfo, France Bleu, France Culture, France Musique, Fip, Mouv'. Écoutez en ligne tous les programmes de Radio France.

Beethoven: Triple Concerto
    Pascal Dusapin: Concerto for Orchestra
    Olivier Messiaen : Les Offrandes oubliées

Martha Argerich, piano
    Gautier Capuçon, cello
    Renaud Capuçon, violon

Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
    Myung-Whun Chung, conductor

(b) The equally presumed program for Prom 6, Tuesday, July 19, 2011:

Retrouvez les radios en direct et replay, les podcasts originaux et la musique de France Inter, franceinfo, France Bleu, France Culture, France Musique, Fip, Mouv'. Écoutez en ligne tous les programmes de Radio France.

von Weber : Overture to Oberon
    Brahms : Double Concerto
    Stravinsky : Le Sacre du printemps

Renaud Capuçon, violon
    Gautier Capuçon, cello

Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
    Myung-Whun Chung, conductor

Of course, the presumption is that Argerich doesn't suddenly bail on Prom 4, but I would think that the OPRF, RW the Proms staff have back-up plans at the ready just in case.
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 14-01-12, 20:20.

What's been sussed out about the First Night?

Comment

I well and truly hope that Martha Argerich doesn't cancel at the last minute!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Just how is it that the Australians and the Americans know more about the 2011 Proms than we do?

Comment

Perhaps it's on a 'need to know' basis, Eine. Those who need to know are told last.

Comment

Overseas performers usually seem to be less bothered about preserving an embargo on their participation in the Proms (RW has less influence over them), so judicious searching can find a fair proprtion of the programme well in advance.

Comment

I didn't realise the Proms were covered by the Official Secrets Act.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                I didn't realise the Proms were covered by the Official Secrets Act.
                Nowadays, they're probably also subject to the Freedom of Information Act...

Comment

Does this mean we can simply browse the concert diaries on foreign orchestra websites and piece together the 2011 Proms season that way?

Comment

To an extent yes, obviously there will be big holes where the BBC orchestras are doing concerts. Agents' websites are also quite useful...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      Nowadays, they're probably also subject to the Freedom of Information Act...
                      Or, more accurately, covered by the BBC's special derogation which gives exemption for 'journalism, art and literature'. You are allowed to ask but they don't have to answer ...

Time to set up a Proms board, I think, and move the relevant threads there?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Or, more accurately, covered by the BBC's special derogation which gives exemption for 'journalism, art and literature'. You are allowed to ask but they don't have to answer ...

Time to set up a Proms board, I think, and move the relevant threads there?
                        Do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          I'm trying to . Not sure how to get the link on the homepage

Done
                          Last edited by french frank; 05-01-11, 10:57. Reason: Update
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                            Stravinsky : Le Sacre du printemps
                            Excellent! Definately will not be there the first week, still at school.

However, I feel a school trip being planned :D

Comment

That will always be in thye Proms, Le Sacre. This music is so overplayed these days. I hope it doesnt loose any of it's magic
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X